The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Having one guy on a line making boneheaded moves is fine, two on one team though? No thanks.

You're no Canucks fan if you talk about a young prospect like that. Jake hasn't even played a single NHL game and already he is prone to boneheaded moves? Luckily you're probably 10 years old judging by the WWE signature, so there's a chance you'll grow up one day and get a clue.

• Upvote 3

Having one guy on a line making boneheaded moves is fine, two on one team though? No thanks.

I respect your opinion, and agree that having boneheads (in any number) is a bad thing. I disagree with your assessment that either of Lucic or Virtanen are boneheads. They are both extremely effective, and smart players!

Just thought I'd stop by to see what the Virtanen whiners found to dislike about his game today.

Nothing?

Haters don't log on to eat crow. They duck and dodge and wait for a convenient time to take a cheap shot and then they're gone again. JV comes as advertised and he's ahead of schedule, because he is already physically mature.

Some people are just born with it. Recently we've seen Mckinnon Monahan Ekblad etc., they join crap teams straight from the draft and they have the NHL game right off the hop. It's great to have these physically superior players step into roles that would probably take them a few years to grow into.

Horvat and Virtanen at #9 and #6 have put us on the path to recovery in short order. It basically speeds up the rebuild by putting the young players in the lineup.

I'm not saying the team we drafted is going to be the team that takes us to the next level... we may end up sucking for a while, but at this point that has to be the plan. You win or lose with what you got and now is the time to get young.

• Upvote 1

The turn around speed/acceleration to create that breakaway... Oh man... I know it's just Penticton, but I'm excited. I want to see Jake have another crack at dominating junior, but at the same time, his speed and physicality may be more appreciated in the Canucks bottom 6. I can hypothesize all day and night over which would be better for his development, but can I say with any real certainty? This is why we went out and got Benning though.. I hope he has the answer, cause this kid's potential is too much to waste.

• Upvote 1

At this point, I'm still favoring Virtanen to go back to junior. However, like most of you, I have some reservations about sending him to Calgary (for the record I would guess that he'd be traded to a contender in December). I think 90% of the development argument favours him going back to junior. However, I would say that I am a little concerned of his development defending away from the puck in the neutral zone -- he floats a bit. I'm not too worried because this is a very common junior habit that is often easily broken (perhaps one of the most common junior habits). So in this regard, I think NHL development would be better, but I don't think it would out-weight the other benefits of going back to junior.

It will be interesting to see how he does in pre-season/ first 9 reg season games.

Actually, it's Vrbata's, Burrows', Higgins' or Hansen's to lose.

Virtanen hasn't won anything yet. However, I do like what I'm seeing.

Isn't Higgins LW?

Everything I'm hearing is that management wants Jake to make the big team and will give him every oportunity. In that sense it's his to lose.

If Virtanen plays equally good as or close to as say Hansen , do they keep Virt up and trade Hansen?

I think so

toughness can be picked up off waivers and signed through free agency. Players that bring skill (like I hope virt eventually does) don't come cheap.

That's like saying "we need a backup goalie... let's draft one in the first round".

I think the point being made is when Virtanen isn't scoring he is playing the body, but when say a Nylander or Ehlers aren't scoring they aren't contributing in a positive way.