The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

http://portal.stretchinternet.com/oua/full.htm?eventId=189470

I started watching the 2nd half of the 1st period and I wasn't all that impressed with Virtanen's play; I didn't see his assist on the powerplay.

He made some risky cross ice passes in the offensive zone when he probably should have circled it back to his teammates in the corner. His speed is noticeable but he hasn't been making great plays with the puck (2nd half only).

Classic Virtanen Goal. Speed down the right size, goes around the next, fakes wraparound and then shoots short side as he comes around.

EDIT: Virtanen another goal on the powerplay from an amazing play from Point. Is Point ever making a case for himself in these 2 games so far... A dynamic player to say the least.

Edited by junglesniper

lol "Gee I don't think he's a lock."

He's almost a sure thing because he's putting up points, but his decision making at times has been a little shaky.

Against tougher competition he can't make the plays he was trying out there, the ill-advised cross-ice passes, holding onto the puck too long on the PP, trying a saucer pass in the neutral zone instead of dumping it in. So although he's a lock on the team, his role on the team may be up in the air depending on whether he can be more reliable with the puck.

Don't get me wrong, he made a great play on his first goal, but overall his game lacked good decision making.

Classic Virtanen Goal. Speed down the right size, goes around the next, fakes wraparound and then shoots short side as he comes around.

EDIT: Virtanen another goal on the powerplay from an amazing play from Point. Is Point ever making a case for himself in these 2 games so far... A dynamic player to say the least.

I wanted us to pick him last draft. But he's better off in the East and of course Yzerman drafts him.

Good track record with Tyler Johnson and Conacher before he got traded.

I wanted us to pick him last draft. But he's better off in the East and of course Yzerman drafts him.

Good track record with Tyler Johnson and Conacher before he got traded.

I know alot of people wanted us to draft this guy, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

It's less likely his game translate to the NHL, he doesn't fit Bennings mold, and we're very deep in center prospects.

Trayamkin, if he pans out will be a better pick in the long run.

I hope to see Virtanen play with Ritchie again!

Don't get me wrong, he made a great play on his first goal, but overall his game lacked good decision making.

You don't think it has to do with playing with new teammates in a new system? No that couldn't be it.

Lets not try and make conclusions after one game.

He's almost a sure thing because he's putting up points, but his decision making at times has been a little shaky.

Against tougher competition he can't make the plays he was trying out there, the ill-advised cross-ice passes, holding onto the puck too long on the PP, trying a saucer pass in the neutral zone instead of dumping it in. So although he's a lock on the team, his role on the team may be up in the air depending on whether he can be more reliable with the puck.

Not sure why that point is bolded when Virtanen already went on the record and said he's fine with any role they put him in.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/12/11/hitmen-pair-jake-virtanen-travis-sanheim-pumped-for-world-juniors-camp

True team player.

Jake Virtanen says guys were razzing him over his six-points-in-six-periods performance … calling him "Showtime

Virtanen was looking good even before arriving at Canada's camp; check out this goal from his last WHL game http://bit.ly/1Dxo1EN (vid)

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

Seems Bobby Mac thinks Jake will play with Conner

@TSNBobMcKenzie IMO, 7 locks up front: Domi-Reinhart-Duclair; Fabbri-McDavid-Virtanen; Petan. That leaves 1 spot at C, 2 at LW and 2 RW plus 13th fwd.

(Learning new phone can't properly paste tweet haha)

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

Change is coming.

It's coming to that time that I dreaded, where watching my favorite prospect means watching my least-favorite hockey network. Well, maybe because TSN has nothing else going for it, they're going to amp up their WJC coverage and actually make it watchable. And more, totally unbiased, so they don't all appear like they hate Vancouver with a passion. That would be nice.

Edited by BanTSN

Seems Bobby Mac thinks Jake will play with Conner

@TSNBobMcKenzie IMO, 7 locks up front: Domi-Reinhart-Duclair; Fabbri-McDavid-Virtanen; Petan. That leaves 1 spot at C, 2 at LW and 2 RW plus 13th fwd.

(Learning new phone can't properly paste tweet haha)

Hearing Bob say anything positive about Canucks-related players makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

• Upvote 1