The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

16 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Jake is taking his training way more seriously then last off season. Plus him and Green are on the same page. I think he will start winning some people over next season. 

10 second Instagram stories don't prove anything. If he doesn't come out in the pre-season hitting and shooting everything in sight, then Utica is where he'll be for the foreseeable future. 

34 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Jake is taking his training way more seriously then last off season. Plus him and Green are on the same page. I think he will start winning some people over next season. 

There are moments when I still think Willie is the coach, but I'm pleased when I realize that Green is now the guy in charge. I think he'll give a completely fresh take on the team, he knows young guys and their issues, the best way to get to them motivated. I think Jake will be a different player than he was when he was briefly here. I think others like Boeser, Goldobin and Burmistrov might excel with Green as coach too. What I really wonder is how patient will Green be with Edler and Eriksson. These "old" guys who've become complacent, comfy making millions doing the minimum. Does he call "BS" and occasionally bench some of the lazy non-performers? Or is he too "green" as an NHL head coach to discipline the vets?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There are moments when I still think Willie is the coach, but I'm pleased when I realize that Green is now the guy in charge. I think he'll give a completely fresh take on the team, he knows young guys and their issues, the best way to get to them motivated. I think Jake will be a different player than he was when he was briefly here. I think others like Boeser, Goldobin and Burmistrov might excel with Green as coach too. What I really wonder is how patient will Green be with Edler and Eriksson. These "old" guys who've become complacent, comfy making millions doing the minimum. Does he call "BS" and occasionally bench some of the lazy non-performers? Or is he too "green" as an NHL head coach to discipline the vets?

Green loved Higgi when he went down to the Comets. He doesnt think less of vets as long as they play the right way effort wise.

I'm very hopeful he can help those guys who have been here longest find that magic again.

3 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Green loved Higgi when he went down to the Comets. He doesnt think less of vets as long as they play the right way effort wise.

I'm very hopeful he can help those guys who have been here longest find that magic again.

Yeah, who knows, maybe Edler and Eriksson return energized and end up having a very good year? I think that's key for Green, players give that full effort. Training camp should be very competitive. Will be exciting to see the opening day's roster.

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, who knows, maybe Edler and Eriksson return energized and end up having a very good year? I think that's key for Green, players give that full effort. Training camp should be very competitive. Will be exciting to see the opening day's roster.

Agreed. If players dont pick up what hes putting down they might get sent down!

Edler just needs to stop pinching and just get the puck to Stecher or the near boards....surely Green can get that across to him.

Eriksson is the "King pin" to the whole roster....to me he just doesn't fit ....so how is Green going to deal with that if Eriksson can't reshape his game into something useful?

.....stay tuned....

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Edler just needs to stop pinching and just get the puck to Stecher or the near boards....surely Green can get that across to him.

Eriksson is the "King pin" to the whole roster....to me he just doesn't fit ....so how is Green going to deal with that if Eriksson can't reshape his game into something useful?

.....stay tuned....

Is it possible that when the Sedin's leave they want him there to help the up and coming youngers (JD & EP). 

7 hours ago, junglesniper said:

10 second Instagram stories don't prove anything. If he doesn't come out in the pre-season hitting and shooting everything in sight, then Utica is where he'll be for the foreseeable future. 

Yeah I see what your saying but he looks like a different person. He looks like he's 210 of solid muscle now.

4 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

920 pages and still going strong.  Will it be enough for Jake to make the big club this year and silence all of his doubters??

921 now. I'd like to see it merged with the Jake Virtanen Talk thread over in the Canucks NHL roster discussion which is doing gangbusters itself. This kid would have a chance to shatter forum records!

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

920 pages and still going strong.  Will it be enough for Jake to make the big club this year and silence all of his doubters??

Jake will make the team, score 20+, and this thread will die just before breaking the record.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, teepain said:

Hooe he makes the team , just to throw a wrench into greens plans

Green has been coaching him for a year already and seems to be happy with his play. Why would having him available on the big team throw a wrench into Green's plans?

• Upvote 1

I doubt Virtanen will make the Canucks lineup on opening night, but if it's the NHL or AHL, he needs to make progress this season. Typically the third season as a pro is where most "power forward" type players make progress as a pro hockey player. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't reach the 20 goal plateau in the AHL, assuming he spends most of the season in Utica. If he doesn't find his offensive game this season, I doubt he will accumulate to anything more than a bottom 6 grinder. But again this is just based on comparable players in the past, he could be a late bloomer for all we know. 

If virtanen makes it "cross fingers" they will be cutting someone else . As of now they have too many bodys at forward chaput , megna , gaunce , burmistrov, dorsett , boeser, goldobin and forgot who else . Some good competition to make the big club

10 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

921 now. I'd like to see it merged with the Jake Virtanen Talk thread over in the Canucks NHL roster discussion which is doing gangbusters itself. This kid would have a chance to shatter forum records!

He will set a record for causing most injuries in playoff history.

Virtanen hits McDavid and all of a sudden the Oilers are screwed. Just for good measures he'd hit Draisitl to.

Funny thing is is Lucic won't do squat because Gudbranson will mess him up :)

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, teepain said:

If virtanen makes it "cross fingers" they will be cutting someone else . As of now they have too many bodys at forward chaput , megna , gaunce , burmistrov, dorsett , boeser, goldobin and forgot who else . Some good competition to make the big club

If Virtanen makes it I'm going to feel bad for Pettersson for a while

2 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

He will set a record for causing most injuries in playoff history.

Virtanen hits McDavid and all of a sudden the Oilers are screwed. Just for good measures he'd hit Draisitl to.

Funny thing is is Lucic won't do squat because Gudbranson will mess him up :)

Maroon, Lucic, Nurse, Kassian.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

Maroon, Lucic, Nurse, Kassian.

Do you seriously stock my profile and wait for me to comment.

Your really creeping me out. Stop it. Obsessive behaviour is a scary thing to have. I think you need to talk to someone.

And none of them will do squat. Gudbranson and Virtanen would have them scared to touch the puck