The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Do you seriously stock my profile and wait for me to comment.

Your really creeping me out. Stop it. Obsessive behaviour is a scary thing to have. I think you need to talk to someone.

And none of them will do squat. Gudbranson and Virtanen would have them scared to touch the puck

Learn english.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

All I did was show you a few players that would stand up for McDavid. Trying to injure players is a sure way to make the entire league including refs to hate you.

Image result for u mad bro

For days now every time I post you have something to say. You are literally stalking me and it's weird.. I kind of feel violated

7 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

For days now every time I post you have something to say. You are literally stalking me and it's weird.. I kind of feel violated

I just think that purposely injuring other players is wrong, not to mention highly illegal.

Image result for celery stalking meme

There now I "literally" stalked you. 

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I just think that purposely injuring other players is wrong, not to mention highly illegal.

Image result for celery stalking meme

There now I "literally" stalked you. 

Stalking people is weird, wrong, and highly illegal.. don't be a hippacrit

On 2017-07-16 at 9:46 PM, The Lock said:

I actually found a good quote in a picture, but it's rather large so I'll just post it here:

"You are completely entitled to opinions that are not supported by evidence. But the moment you spread that opinion as fact, you are a liar. And if you spread is as fact knowing it is not supported by evidence, you are both a liar and a fraud." Occam's Barber

It's unfortunate, but I can think of a few people on this board that could use a little wisdom from that quote....

Just looking at the stats for another sniper in Junior, who didn't figure out being a professional until 23/24.  He was even called "pudgy", lazy, out of shape (oh, and not smart enough.). He had a pretty good career.  

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2410

• Upvote 2

I think because we are so small up front that Virtanen has to make the team.  We have so many little guys with barely any protection.  Its like that  draft video said about a safe work  enviroment (hope my spelling is correct:)).  He is going to have to be pretty bad not to make it.  We just need to be bigger and faster.

On 7/16/2017 at 6:39 AM, GoBoGo53 said:

And again, even if the examples given of Neely, Bertuzzi, Primaeu were accurate, those are cherrypicking the very best case scenerios for Virtanen. There are hundreds of examples of players that put up similar numbers to Virtanen (thus far, he can still turn it around of course) and don't amount to much at the NHL level. In fact, given his production so far, it's far more likely he turns out to be a 4th liner than he is to become a Bertuzzi/Neely type player. That isn't hating on Virtanen, that is using comparables to judge that there is a far greater likelihood of Virtanen being a 4th liner than Bertuzzi just by the shear numbers of his closest production comparables. 

Take a look at Oskar Lindbolm, Philly prospect taken in the same draft as Virtanen (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86181) same age as well.

HIs production suggests he is much more likely to become a top 6 forward than Virtanen. Point being for every Bertuzzi, there is 10 or more powerforwards that don't pan out. 

So you're saying there's a chance.

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I think because we are so small up front that Virtanen has to make the team.  We have so many little guys with barely any protection.  Its like that  draft video said about a safe work  enviroment (hope my spelling is correct:)).  He is going to have to be pretty bad not to make it.  We just need to be bigger and faster.

:lol:   You ever skated with NHL players?   These "little guys" are tough as nails men who I doubt very much are as fragile as you seem to think.   There is very little "soft" about someone who has made the NHL.

• Upvote 4

On 7/15/2017 at 1:27 PM, CoolCanucklehead said:

Again, Virtanen is 20 years old.

Kunitz was 27 years old before he played a season in the NHL.

Maroon was 26 years old when he made the NHL.

Kassian was 23 years old when he played his 1st NHL season.

Penner was 25 years old in his 1st NHL season. 

Along with all the other dozen players I named you that didn't make the NHL until mid 20's.

All these players have something in common. They took more time than most of their piers did to make it to the show & once they did most have became as valuable or more than the ones who got there earlier than them.

I'm not saying he's a guaranteed NHL player but I'm also not going to say that he has no chance to be a top 6 player or something in the middle YET. Way too much development time still on Jakes side.

He could easily be a big part of the puzzle here in years to come whether it's in the top 6 or bottom 6.

Jake still has at least 3 more years before you can label him as a failure if we actually go by history of all these players & many many more. 

Further to that, the great Johnny Bower never became a full time NHLer until age 34 and went on to win several Stanley Cups and player into his mid forties.

I'm saying there's a chance.

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2017 at 5:46 PM, The Lock said:

I actually found a good quote in a picture, but it's rather large so I'll just post it here:

"You are completely entitled to opinions that are not supported by evidence. But the moment you spread that opinion as fact, you are a liar. And if you spread is as fact knowing it is not supported by evidence, you are both a liar and a fraud." Occam's Barber

It's unfortunate, but I can think of a few people on this board that could use a little wisdom from that quote....

Um, Jason Botchford?  Any truth to the rumour that the Canucks will sign Thomas Vanek?  To play with the twins......:lol:

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Um, Jason Botchford?  Any truth to the rumour that the Canucks will sign Thomas Vanek?  To play with the twins......:lol:

Come on man, gotta go all out and get Jagr just so we get those random Jagr-wig wearing fans in the building. Gotta fill those seats somehow!

(Don't tell this to the Aquilinis, They might get an idea)

• Upvote 2

I don't believe we've seen the best of Jake Virtanen yet and it would be a very foolish move to give up on him. He and Gadjovich are two players, I believe, are going to make impacts in the NHL, pun is definitely intended. He , simply needs time to develop his game at lower levels. It was a mistake to bring him up at an early age and I say, good on him for showing the maturity to recognize his need for said development. It says a lot about his character and willingness to do what it takes to better himself. Although I would love to see him turn into a top six power forward, the reality is he may not. I cannot see him as a fourth liner. IMO, he becomes, at least, RW on a very good third line. He brings a lot of physicality that we sorely need. 

I think Virt gets it this year. Not so much on the score sheet, but...I feel he will make the team and play 4th line minutes most of the year. Somewhere around game 50, he will start to be able to fill in on 2nd-3rd line, and will end the year on the 3rd line. He'll get 10-12 goals, around 10 assists, just over 20 points.

I don't think he will ever score 30 goals or 60 points, unless he REALLY finds some hockey IQ out of nowhere. Now...using the 6th overall for a career 2nd/3rd line winger that gets 20-25 in a good year...that wasn't a good use of the pick. But, he has a chance to be a good player, and an integral piece of the team for years.

Playing him year before last was a disservice to him (and to McCann, but...that story is over). Playing him in Utica last year, all year, without a call up, was probably the best thing we could have done for him. Green, if I remember, was starting to use him in a few different times than just on his line.