The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I think it's a good idea to run 4 lines, but Bo would do the defensive draws, not Gagner. Honestly, I'd like to see Virtanen with Bo. They looked really dangerous together in the preseason and parts of Virtanen's rookie season. Virtanen is at his best when he's hounding the puck and laying out hits, and that goes well with Bo's style of play. 

His ability to play on the left or right wing, and his familiarity with Green, could mean that he wins a spot this year. But he really has to earn it. 

you're probably right about Bo taking the defensive draws... I wonder how long Green has before getting called out by many who want to see Bo generate more offence? 

Unless of course Gagner is used like a winger a lot of the time and someone else steps into a bottom 6 C role. 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

And play a guy like Goldobin with Bo and Jake.  Goldy is a lot more than just a finisher.  He has excellent playmaking skills too.  

Goldobin looked good with Jake in the few games they played together in Utica. 
Although I really like Boeser with Horvat, and see that as a pair moving forward. 

On 7/10/2017 at 7:29 AM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Green likes to rotate players in and out of the line up. With 4 waiver expempt top 9 wingers, the inevitability of slumps, playing a full NHL schedule and learning curves I could honestly expect that all of Boeser, Virtannen, Goldy and Dahlen if he stays in NA get good stints in both the AHL and NHL this season. This allows Green to play the hot hand, booster Utica and develop players properly. 

If OJ was able to play in the AHL, we could start doing this for the Defence a lot more. 

The only guy I desperately want starting in the "A" would be Erikson

3 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

Goldobin looked good with Jake in the few games they played together in Utica. 
Although I really like Boeser with Horvat, and see that as a pair moving forward. 

That's an old school hockey line right there!

Flashy RW / playmaking 2wC / LW powerforward

Ahhh...pre "Devil's in '95 " Hockey, If you weren't there.....you missed out

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

And play a guy like Goldobin with Bo and Jake.  Goldy is a lot more than just a finisher.  He has excellent playmaking skills too.  

He could really benefit from two linemates who don't mind laying the body...that line could work out, on paper it's amazing

On 7/10/2017 at 5:03 PM, dpn1 said:

Jake last summer put on pounds thinking he needed to, to play a heavier game and it put him in a situation that made it hard to keep up in game situations.  He needed to loose 20 lb.  He was sent down to do that and learn a little more about what it meant to be a pro (Mature a bit as well).  According to JB, TL and TG he has done that so we are all hoping he has done that and is going to show up to camp ready to resume his NHL career. :)

haha Jake wasn't mature and put on 20lbs...of fat. That fat had nothing to due with playing a heavier game but an unhealthy lifestyle. I believe he's going to take a huge step next year by starting in Utica and making the big club!

46 minutes ago, Ichiban604 said:

Wow your like in love with Virtanen in every tread. Bromance? 

Yup, you got me.   Totally, not based on the fact he is a very skilled hockey player with an unique combination of speed, skill, "edge" and size.    Can't be that.

Also, absolutely in "EVERY" thread.   Somehow, I will find a way.   Busted is me.

11 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

The only guy I desperately want starting in the "A" would be Erikson

He would likely clear waivers...  too bad he has the NMC for one more year. 

Fingers crossed he can bounce back.  Getting his production back up would be a big success for Green in year one. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha Jake wasn't mature and put on 20lbs...of fat. That fat had nothing to due with playing a heavier game but an unhealthy lifestyle. I believe he's going to take a huge step next year by starting in Utica and making the big club!

Oh come on bro', lets give him the benifit of the dought just once.  He does get beat up a bit here.  Give him a break this once.  Time for a bit of charity. ::D

Edited by dpn1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JoesRooster said:

Kid has got all the tools man, used to love watching him play. He'll be back.

Yea agree, hope he has a really strong offseason, camp, and year in Utica.

My favourite goals of his so far are his first shoot out goal, his first career goal and the excitement between burrows and him, and the tick tack pass from McCann off the rush where he snipes it top corner.

Edited by R3aL

On 10/07/2017 at 10:17 AM, canucksnihilist said:

You don't know what you mean to say.  "knowing how the other player thinks the play." is chemistry - broken down into a logic that is quantifiable.

knowing EXACTLY what the other player is doing and where he's going is actually impossible - if you think about it.  How do you even know what you are going to say minute to minute when you are in a conversation (do you think all your words and rationalize them before you speak, or is it stream of consciousness??? hmm... I wonder...)  LET ALONE a complex sport with complex Interaction like hockey.

1. You failed to understand what I was trying to say.

2. You think chemistry is magic - and think there is more going on than just logic.   so please let me know what you think chemistry is, besides some impossible ridiculous childish magical belief that people can know EXACTLY what someone else is doing and is going to be doing without looking at them (although looking at them shouldn't really help, if you think about it.... lol)

chemistry is processing the play and thinking where the other player should be if they think like you - or react like you without thinking (through repetition, practice, etc).  There is no magic.  

peace

chemistry is magic.  its an interconnected energy frequency you have with another player. i like to call it synchronicity. the sedins have gifted us with many years of their amazing almost telepathic chemistry.  

it can probably be measured as a science but it is probably too complex for us nail down at this time.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

chemistry is magic.  its an interconnected energy frequency you have with another player. i like to call it synchronicity. the sedins have gifted us with many years of their amazing almost telepathic chemistry.  

it can probably be measured as a science but it is probably too complex for us nail down at this time.

look at me talking all this magic and synchronicity lol. all this new age talk. it most likely is quantifiable but it is like magic.  our science probably still lacks the explanation for it. so with that being the case it remains in the realm of spiritual or magic until it is proven otherwise.  saying its explainable is simply incorrect. we have a vague theory in its concept but we do not have it figured out by any means.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JoesRooster said:

Kid has got all the tools man, used to love watching him play. He'll be back.

I hope this reminds people he was pretty fun to watch his rookie season. 
His shot and speed are too good for him not to be an NHL player. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I hope this reminds people he was pretty fun to watch his rookie season. 
His shot and speed are too good for him not to be an NHL player. 

Gonna be a great player when he figures it all out.  Hopefully we see him on the Canucks at some point this coming season, but he definitely needs to earn it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

Gonna be a great player when he figures it all out.  Hopefully we see him on the Canucks at some point this coming season, but he definitely needs to earn it. 

I kind of think he'll make the team ahead of Dorsett. Having to get your neck fused just sounds so bad. 

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

Yea agree, hope he has a really strong offseason, camp, and year in Utica.

My favourite goals of his so far are his first shoot out goal, his first career goal and the excitement between burrows and him, and the tick tack pass from McCann off the rush where he snipes it top corner.

A few of his top corner one-time shots are just beautiful.... great snap shot as well. any fan would be stupid not to fully support him and his potential

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, you got me.   Totally, not based on the fact he is a very skilled hockey player with an unique combination of speed, skill, "edge" and size.    Can't be that.

Also, absolutely in "EVERY" thread.   Somehow, I will find a way.   Busted is me.

Okay. Hopefully he improved. Let's see

12 minutes ago, Ichiban604 said:

Okay. Hopefully he improved. Let's see

Uh,  pretty much what I've been saying.   He is just barely out of his teens and his soon to be NHL coach raved about his second half of the year in AHL.   My point, why write a guy with that size, speed, edge and overall "push forward" game before he even has a chance to get going?   Guys like him seem to take longer.   Would have thought Vancouver would have learned lesson a few times both pro and con on power forwards (Neely and Bertuzzi to name two obvious examples - also both first rounders, 9th and 23rd overall, respectively).    Clearly he may never get to be half the player either of those were or even become an NHL regular - but at this stage, and progress made last year, things certainly don't look bad for him.  

• Upvote 3