The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

Many users were claiming him as a redundant 2 way player pick. When I watch him I see alot more offensive upside than most of our prospects. Including horvat. Maybe im missing something though.

It definitely seems like he has more offensive upside then Horvat, and more than his numbers would suggest. Will be really interesting to see what he does in the OHL next year. At this point I think I like McCann more than Virtanen as a prospect.

It definitely seems like he has more offensive upside then Horvat, and more than his numbers would suggest. Will be really interesting to see what he does in the OHL next year. At this point I think I like McCann more than Virtanen as a prospect.

as do I. Maybe because I haven't seen virtanen play possibly.

Both are great picks but McCann is more interesting as his draft position is better value for your pick. Virtanen is a great prospect in his own and I'm excited about Jake. However getting McCann at 24 who I didn't even think about getting coming into the draft as I thought he'd go 12-15 area. It was a great draft for Canuck fans for sure!

Both are great picks but McCann is more interesting as his draft position is better value for your pick. Virtanen is a great prospect in his own and I'm excited about Jake. However getting McCann at 24 who I didn't even think about getting coming into the draft as I thought he'd go 12-15 area. It was a great draft for Canuck fans for sure!

McCann could arguably offer more talents, possibly even a more well rounded (two way game) also puck skills and passing to the sniping and speed they both share.

What made Virtanen the higher rated pick is the overall size and athleticism. Jake is 207 lbs at 17!

To be clear, it is not just size I am referring to at all. Most big guys are lacking in the dexterity and speed, ability to keep up with the game regardless of whether they offer skills. Its why they report PF's as taking longer to develop. Many have to learn to train their bodies to offer required endurance, while playing at the frantic pace the NHL requires. Some never get to that pace. Others are exhausted shortly into any game playing at that pace. Virtanen is reported as amongst the fastest skaters, and most explosive, lean, fit athletes in the draft.

If he's that athletic and weighs in well over 200 lbs at the age of 17? There is an extra dimension he can offer as a weapon once he fills out! Will he play at 222 lbs?

McCann could arguably offer more talents, certainly he's extremely nimble, possibly a more well rounded (two way game) player, even offering puck skills and passing to the sniping and speed that both him and Virtanen share.

What made Virtanen the higher rated pick is the overall size and athleticism. Jake is 207 lbs at 17! And that McCann's body still needs to fill out and achieve the strength to play at the NHL level. It add's an element of risk to the pick?

To be clear, it is not just size I am referring to at all. Most big guys are lacking in the dexterity and speed, ability to keep up with the game regardless of whether they offer skills. With many, it's extra weight. Which they can get away with in junior? Its why they report PF's as taking longer to develop. Many have to learn to train their bodies to offer required endurance, while playing at the frantic pace the NHL requires. Some never get to that pace. Others are exhausted shortly into any game playing at that pace. Virtanen is reported as amongst the fastest skaters, and most explosive, lean, fit athletes in the draft.

If Virtanen is that athletic and weighs in well over 200 lbs at the age of 17? There is an extra dimension he can offer as a weapon once he fills out! Will he play at 222 lbs?

Someone probably already linked the article but here it is anyway

Vancouver Sun Article

VANCOUVER - Centre Jared McCann became a Vancouver Canuck at the 2014 NHL entry draft with the pick general manager Jim Benning obtained from Anaheim in the Ryan Kesler trade.

He will forever be linked to Kesler and claims he models his game after Kesler, right down to the nasty side.

“I played lacrosse for a bit growing up and I loved cross-checking kids in the face, it was awesome,” McCann said Monday at the Canucks’ summer development camp at UBC, smiling as the words tumbled from his mouth. “I do like to piss guys off a bit. That’s fun.”

McCann, 18, was taken 24th overall in Philadelphia on June 27. In his first post-draft interview, he blurted out to TSN’s James Duthie that he never thought he would be chosen by Vancouver.

“It is what it is,” McCann told Duthie.

It hardly seemed to be a ringing endorsement of the Canucks, and his comment did not slip by ever vigilant Canuck watchers.

“I definitely took the question wrong,” McCann explained. “I apologized to everyone who took it the wrong way. That’s not the kind of kid I am. I talked to the Canucks twice before the draft but I was totally shocked they took me. I didn’t really think I would go to Vancouver. I was thinking that other teams were going to take me. So that was probably the main thing… it was shocking.

“I am very excited to be a Vancouver Canuck and a part of the organization,” added McCann. “I want to move forward with this organization. I’m very excited to be here. It’s amazing.”

McCann admitted that trying to be the next Kesler – a two-way agitating presence – is a goal he has set for himself.

“Kesler is a complete player, amazing offensively and defensively,” McCann said. “He can score but he can be put in those key situations when time is ticking down, or anything like that. Those are definitely some big shoes to fill, for sure, and I need to improve both offensively and defensively. I feel I can make those strides to become better.”

At 6-1 and 185 pounds, McCann might have some growing left in him. His oldest brother is 6-4 and his dad is 6-3. He had 62 points for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL last season and has played for Canada at both the under-17 and under-18 levels. He was not, however, invited to Canada’s world junior summer evaluation camp. (Fellow Canuck first-rounders Bo Horvat and the injured Jake Virtanen were.)

“It was a little bit of a disappointment,” admitted, McCann, born in Stratford, Ont., and raised in London. “I felt I deserved a shot or something like that. I’m going to start off the season as best as I can and be more consistent throughout and, hopefully, I’ll get the invite to the December camp.”

Benning seems well aware of what he has in McCann, a 200-foot player with an offensive touch.

“Jared plays in all three zones and he has an excellent release on his shot,” Benning said. “The puck is on his stick and it’s gone. He can pick corners. He’s an interesting guy because I’ve had two or three calls from other GMs inquiring about him and we just drafted him. Those conversations didn’t last long.”

Thought I'd highlight some interesting points that haven't gotten enough attention in my opinion. I did not know that he was so gritty which is awesome. That makes me really surprised that he dropped so low. Also the point about how he still has room to grow is nice. 6'1'' is a good average height but if he could grow 2 more inches then we're really talking. Lastly, I believe he is a fairly late birthday May 1996 to be exact which is great cause that gives him extra leeway for developing.

As for the comments he made post-draft, I do remember doing a double-take but people should not be so quick to judge a person's character based on one comment, specially after he sorted it out publicly.

I was shocked when I heard I was selected by Vancouver. Its pretty disappointing. The Canucks are an OK team I suppose, but they're definitely not one of the teams I was really hoping to get picked by. I was expecting better than that. But whatever. You just have to deal with it, you know? It is what it is. LOL.

I was shocked when I heard I was selected by Vancouver. Its pretty disappointing. The Canucks are an OK team I suppose, but they're definitely not one of the teams I was really hoping to get picked by. I was expecting better than that. But whatever. You just have to deal with it, you know? It is what it is. LOL.

You know maybe it's just camera jitters and he's just a little upset he slipped in the draft to his ranking, but you wonder how much he really wants to be here. I'm gonna go with the upset due to falling in the draft. My point being is to all the McCann fans and Jake Virtanen haters! Jake Virtanen is a kid with huge potential who wouldn't want to be anywhere else! A kid ranked 7th that we took 6th!

You know maybe it's just camera jitters and he's just a little upset he slipped in the draft to his ranking, but you wonder how much he really wants to be here. I'm gonna go with the upset due to falling in the draft. My point being is to all the McCann fans and Jake Virtanen haters! Jake Virtanen is a kid with huge potential who wouldn't want to be anywhere else! A kid ranked 7th that we took 6th!

Horvat last year, and McCann this year, both looked shocked and put off being drafted by the Canucks. Horvat seems to have come around so Im sure McCann will as well. Players love playing here it seems in their young years until they get older and are sick of the fan fare and media insanity . i.e. Lui and the man with a one team list Kesler.

“I played lacrosse for a bit growing up and I loved cross-checking kids in the face, it was awesome,” McCann said Monday at the Canucks’ summer development camp at UBC, smiling as the words tumbled from his mouth. “I do like to piss guys off a bit. That’s fun.”

Love this! McCann has the potential to be an offensive player with an edge.

When Henrik finishes off his 4 year deal after the 2016-17 season, the Canucks have the makings of some nice depth at center that will be under 30 and under club control for contracts:

Horvat - 23

McCann - 22

Cassels - 23

Vey - 26

Gaunce - 24

Archived