The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

McCann looks like a beauty!

Fast, edgy, leader, great shot, could be our future #1C...still very young, next season in junior he will be much more dominant.

This guy was rated by some in the top 10, I even saw 5th and 6th in NA skaters a couple months before the draft.

I did not consider him at all because I thought he would be well gone by 24th.

Really, really like this pick.

How did he do in the prospects scrimmage; is there video of this game somewhere?

Just the highlights:

He had a rebound goal and set up Valk for a nice goal after a beautiful forecheck.

His real talent is showcased here:

From TSN's evaluation of him he received:

Skating - 4/5

Hockey IQ - 5/5 ( he was ranked 5th overall in this category by CSS)

Hands - 4/5

Shot - 4/5

Compete level - 5/5

His deductions were actually the fewest of anyone outside the top 5. Even Ritchie, Virtanen, and Ehlers had more deductions.

From watching that video though, it's hard to say that his shot isn't 5/5, the guy has a rocket. His stick handling is elite as you can tell, and he straight up beat defenders wide... so it's hard to say he's deserving of any real deduction.

His major criticism was his lack of production, though that could result in part due to his two way focus. I hope he unleashes his potential next season.

Just the highlights:

He had a rebound goal and set up Valk for a nice goal after a beautiful forecheck.

His real talent is showcased here:

From TSN's evaluation of him he received:

Skating - 4/5

Hockey IQ - 5/5 ( he was ranked 5th overall in this category by CSS)

Hands - 4/5

Shot - 4/5

Compete level - 5/5

His deductions were actually the fewest of anyone outside the top 5. Even Ritchie, Virtanen, and Ehlers had more deductions.

From watching that video though, it's hard to say that his shot isn't 5/5, the guy has a rocket. His stick handling is elite as you can tell, and he straight up beat defenders wide... so it's hard to say he's deserving of any real deduction.

His major criticism was his lack of production, though that could result in part due to his two way focus. I hope he unleashes his potential next season.

He definitely got deductions just based on where he was expected to go (16ish). Realistically, by those metrics, I'd only give the guy 4 for skating as he's neither shifty like Shinkaruk nor blindingly fast like Virtanen. Really the only knock against the kid is that he's only 180 lbs. At 18 that's still nothing to sneeze at.

Is it just me or is this guy gonna be our future 1c? he is so explosive and played on a d minded team kind of like the yotes imagine once he turns it loose. also at the starting of the season was working on his d and and only had like 2 points in his first 13 games. we complain about not being elite anymore but this is the most excited ive been its nice to have all these young guys to look forward too i love what benning said how other gms have called him, those convos didnt last long ::D:canucks:

I think a lot of people are either cautious of McCann or high on him (like me). Realistically we will see him as a second line player in the future as long as he stays healthy, and gets a bit stronger. He works hard, and has good skill, starting as a third liner and moving his way up is probably his course.

I see one thread about McCann and one about Virtanen.

I've also seen Raffi Torres and David Booth and Blake Wheeler and Jason Chimera comparisons to Virtanen and I have to say they're all off.

McCann kinda reminds me of Brendan Morrison. Not sure where, but I read David Backes. Like, whaaat?

Also read that player comparisons are a waste of time. But to me reading that comment was more a waste of time.

Long summer. And longer wait until next draft.

I see one thread about McCann and one about Virtanen.

I've also seen Raffi Torres and David Booth and Blake Wheeler and Jason Chimera comparisons to Virtanen and I have to say they're all off.

McCann kinda reminds me of Brendan Morrison. Not sure where, but I read David Backes. Like, whaaat?

Also read that player comparisons are a waste of time. But to me reading that comment was more a waste of time.

Long summer. And longer wait until next draft.

yeah I saw the backes comment and was wondering what the guy was smoking myself.

Archived