The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

I see one thread about McCann and one about Virtanen.

I've also seen Raffi Torres and David Booth and Blake Wheeler and Jason Chimera comparisons to Virtanen and I have to say they're all off.

McCann kinda reminds me of Brendan Morrison. Not sure where, but I read David Backes. Like, whaaat?

Also read that player comparisons are a waste of time. But to me reading that comment was more a waste of time.

Long summer. And longer wait until next draft.

Everyone's opinion is subjective...which includes yours.

Long summer. And longer wait until next draft.

Yeah, you gave yourself away there -- you have zero interest in the team until the 2015 draft. Does that mean you'll actually take a break, or will you continue to darken these boards with your negativity, unwarranted pessimism, and complaining?

Yeah, you gave yourself away there -- you have zero interest in the team until the 2015 draft. Does that mean you'll actually take a break, or will you continue to darken these boards with your negativity, unwarranted pessimism, and complaining?

Of course I have interest in the team. Haven't you been paying attention? We need to start acquiring some truly great players and all i've been saying reflects that particular interest. Since we're in a rebuild, the upcoming drafts will be pretty darn important though. Don't you think?

I also kinda see a Virtanen and Raffi Torres comparison too, not in terms of production, but in terms of style of play. Anyone?

I see that too. I always thought Virtanen was a more offensive version of Torres since their play style is so similar in terms of physicality.

How are we in a rebuild ban?

Don't mean to start a argument I just want a take on how you think we are rebuilding.

Can I just ask you how are we not? Our vets are declining, we haven't done anything in the playoffs in years, we just finished 6th-last, and we just traded away our best 2-way forward for bits and pieces.

Can I just ask you how are we not? Our vets are declining, we haven't done anything in the playoffs in years, we just finished 6th-last, and we just traded away our best 2-way forward for bits and pieces.

They also signed a vet goalie, Miller + Vrbata, traded for Sbisa and Bonino and the big deal they jettisoned Garrison for a 23 year old Vey. Alternatively they could have just filled the roster with young prospects and let the season slide. They don't want to go that route obviously

They also signed a vet goalie, Miller + Vrbata, traded for Sbisa and Bonino and the big deal they jettisoned Garrison for a 23 year old Vey. Alternatively they could have just filled the roster with young prospects and let the season slide. They don't want to go that route obviously

And these moves will turn everything around? Nope. When your star players are sliding, the team is sliding. When you trade away your best 2-way forward for bits and pieces, the core is done. But yes, they don't want to throw in 18-20yr olds who aren't ready. Thank God. Edmonton's been doing that for years and it plainly doesn't work.

It's a rebuild

This team is gonna be coming in 9-11th in the west

We do need high end talent- this team has great prospect depth but lacking a future 1D, 1C

I think we will be competitive this yr but really falter in 2015-2016 when the Sedins are older and we have no one to replace them

It is a rebuild but it seems like the Canucks want to rebuild on the fly without going through too many crappy seasons. I'm not completely against it since management definitely wants people in the seats but considering next year is the one of the deepest in history I think it would at least be benficial to do poorly for one season to guarantee a high pick.

Mcdavid, Eichel and Barzal would put fans in the seats! Other teams made additions to their roster also. The vrbata and miller signings still make it hard to believe they put us in the playoffs. These signings just ensure we don't pick in the top 5 in one of the deepest drafts. It more so has us picking in the 10-15 range. So instead of that #1 center or #1 dman prospect we've needed for so long we'll probably get another projected 1b center or 1b dman.

Mcdavid, Eichel and Barzal would put fans in the seats! Other teams made additions to their roster also. The vrbata and miller signings still make it hard to believe they put us in the playoffs. These signings just ensure we don't pick in the top 5 in one of the deepest drafts. It more so has us picking in the 10-15 range. So instead of that #1 center or #1 dman prospect we've needed for so long we'll probably get another projected 1b center or 1b dman.

If it is in fact one of the deepest drafts, why would we have to pick top 5 to get a number 1 center or D-man?

Can those players only be found in the top 5?

Seems to me some of the top centers in the league were taken outside of the 10th pick. And quite a few of the top D-man as well.

You say that it ensures we don't pick in the Top-5, but after seeing what happened last season. I'm pretty sure not a single person on this board had us pegged picking 6th overall, let alone collapsing like we did in the second half.

While I doubt we make the playoffs, it's possible, but I'm more leaning towards we'll be picking Top-10 next year as well. I think Top-5 isn't far-fetched, and is probably more likely than us making the playoffs given our division, but who knows?

Don't forget, I think we were the worst team statistically in the second half of the 13-14 season. I'm not sure about Buffalo, but I'm pretty sure we were damn close.

This is also possibly going to be the draft with the best high-end talent in years. It's too early to say, but I'm pretty sure almost all the Top-10 are projected 1st-liners/#1/2 Defenceman with McDavid, Eichel, Zacha, Hanafin, Barzal, Kylington, and a lot of possible risers in the mix in White, Strome, Rantanen, etc.

Benning isn't done. This team in my opinion is better than last years team already (deeper) and will be better as time goes on. LA, Anaheim, Chicago etc. have a few years head start.

Imagine if Vancouver could somehow find a legit LW for the second line with some size preferably. (maybe its Jensen, maybe Shinkaruk drastically surprises, maybe Burrows is reborn) and a shutdown RH defenseman. They could surprise.

Every team should continuously be rebuilding. The good teams do, that's how they remain good. We have lost a few years but I believe we are back on track. At least this team won't be awful, they just won't likely contend for a cup for a while without some luck.

Jared McCann in my opinion has a first line centre ceiling in the NHL. He's not super likely to get there, but I really believe he has that kind of ability.

If we are very lucky he could be the 1C people are so fixated on.

And these moves will turn everything around? Nope. When your star players are sliding, the team is sliding. When you trade away your best 2-way forward for bits and pieces, the core is done. But yes, they don't want to throw in 18-20yr olds who aren't ready. Thank God. Edmonton's been doing that for years and it plainly doesn't work.

I don't know why so many people are arguing with you on this subject I agree with you. I love out picks from the last draft but this team is a bubble playoff team.

Archived