The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

4 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

And, his father tweeted today that the family are huge Ducks fans, as they live in San Diego. Hopefully, he's not waiting to be a UFA to play for them.

That would certainly be weird considering the Ducks have such a young tandem in Andersen and Gibson, who at this point look like legit NHL starters (they won the Jennings Trophy this year). If Demko would really like to play for a team in his home state, the King's would seem to be a better fit for him. They have no other comparable goalie prospects and there's the chance to develop under Quick, a guy who's won 2 cups, a Conn Smyth and a Olympian. 

Honestly not at all stressed about whether he signs or not. If he does, awesome, end of story. If he doesn't, then we recoup a pick and Benning gets a chance to flex his awesome draft muscles. I'd just prefer Demko announce his decision sooner rather than later in order to give management a chance to go after Michael Garteig. 

Edited by RyIe

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

And, his father tweeted today that the family are huge Ducks fans, as they live in San Diego. Hopefully, he's not waiting to be a UFA to play for them.

If I was in Thatchers position I surely wouldn't put my career in a standstill just so I could play for my Dad's favourite team.  Lol.  I'm pretty confident he is going to sign but will see.  

9 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I love demko as a player, but if he signs elsewhere I'm getting the jersey of the team he signs with. On that jersey will have his number and the name will be JUDAS.

This deserves so much more recognition, actually laughed out loud 

1 hour ago, High and Inside said:

If I was in Thatchers position I surely wouldn't put my career in a standstill just so I could play for my Dad's favourite team.  Lol.  I'm pretty confident he is going to sign but will see.  

They already have Gibson would be stupid

2 hours ago, RyIe said:

Honestly not at all stressed about whether he signs or not. If he does, awesome, end of story. If he doesn't, then we recoup a pick and Benning gets a chance to flex his awesome draft muscles. I'd just prefer Demko announce his decision sooner rather than later in order to give management a chance to go after Michael Garteig. 

Good point about LA being a better choice. You said we "recoup a pick" if he doesn't sign with us. How does that work and where/when would that pick be? If that is true, then drafting someone from the NCAA isn't the risk that others have been describing.

Just now, steviewonder20 said:

Good point about LA being a better choice. You said we "recoup a pick" if he doesn't sign with us. How does that work and where/when would that pick be? If that is true, then drafting someone from the NCAA isn't the risk that others have been describing.

idk if we recoup a pick since he is a 2nd. If we did it would be the first pick in the 3rd round since he was drafted in the 2nd.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

idk if we recoup a pick since he is a 2nd. If we did it would be the first pick in the 3rd round since he was drafted in the 2nd.

It would be the Canucks' draft slot plus 30 I think. But I'm just about certain the rule only applies to first round picks anyway.

3 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Whats the deal with Dad's countdown on twitter?  Three days.....Two days......

Until what?  Demko signs?  Or decides?  Or something else......

5 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

It's going to be really fun around here to witness the reaction of some guys who have been freaking out over Demko when it's announced he is signed. Are you going to put down your pitchforks because Benning did good?

If, the unlikely outcome of him deciding to not sign with the Canucks happens, I hope to god, and I know you won't think rationally then as you don't now, but I am hoping you realize it has nothing to do with the Canucks or Jim Benning, but rather with Thatcher and his right to determine his own career. Management have done everything to get him signed, and you can only do so much.

I hope you voice your outlandish rage in the right direction if the unthinkable happens - which it won't. 

Pitchforks set aside, and rose bouquets in hand.  

On April 12, 2016 at 9:09 PM, GiveEmTheCan said:

Well this is getting awkward.

I really hope the kid doesn't walk, but nothing I've seen in the last few weeks seems to indicate he's inclined to sign here. 

Hopefully Benning can get something for the asset in the event that he decides to finish out his senior year. 

If it becomes obvious he's going to exploit the loophole, does he hold any value as a tradeable asset?

A 7th at best. 

Demko will sign here, I can feel it now.  He's coming. Demko, McCann, Virtanen, Stecher, maybe Caggiula. Utica will be the favourites next year. We'll have one hell of a stacked farm team. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

a little cryptic just to be referencing that start of the ducks playoffs. 

So you'd rather it be them playing a countdown to delay the announcement of a signing for dramatic effect?

It's nothing, at least nothing relevant to us signing Demko.

Just now, elvis15 said:

So you'd rather it be them playing a countdown to delay the announcement of a signing for dramatic effect?

It's nothing, at least nothing relevant to us signing Demko.

i don't care what the F the count down is for, but he said he would sign within 2 weeks, so I hop ehe just signs soon and we can get this all over with.

49 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

It would be the Canucks' draft slot plus 30 I think. But I'm just about certain the rule only applies to first round picks anyway.

Correct. We get no compensation if it gets to that point since he was picked outside the 1st round. But seriously, we're so far away from that people won't survive waiting a year if they get themselves worked up about it now.

Edited by elvis15