The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Even Binnington has gone through some garbage stretches this season. Demko is no Binnington obviously, but we all know that he's capable of so much more. He's shown that.

The Jackets game was a step in the right direction (from the two previous games) despite the catastrophic ending. I'm cautiously optimistic about Wednesday.

Go Demmer!

• Cheers 1

I think it is extremely important for Demko to have a good game against the Coyotes. Our team plays better when we can rely on the goalie and I fear if he has another poor showing the team will lose that confidence (if they haven't already). 

Playing a good game is especially important as it now looks like we will have one or two regular blueliners out of the lineup.

Your time to shine, Demmer!

Demko's been better of late but he has to make a big save somewhere. I know it's a lot to ask of him, but this defence isn't bailing him out. Those 2 Coyotes goals were legitimate chances, great tip on the GWG, but you just know a top-10 goalie stops those and wins us the game whereas an average goalie like Demko lets them in. Not blaming him on the last two losses but unfortunately goaltending is the difference now between us winning and losing, and it looks like it's going to cost us the playoffs.

This is eerily similar to watching the Canucks in 2007 when Luongo carried the team to the playoffs by himself. The unfortunate thing is, we've got some great players on this current squad, I just think Green isn't using them properly. We're far too aggressive, getting exposed time and time again and while Markstrom covered that up, Demko clearly can't and Green isn't adjusting at all.

Thatchy D playing well now, maybe CDC can apologize can cut him some slack because he'll be the goalie of the future^_^.  That 5 on 3 and backdoor save on Barzal saved the Canucks bacon - hope CDC realizes this because the last two pages has been all about getting rid of Demko.:picard:

Seriously in the last calender year both Marky and Thatchy D are top of the Canucks record books for saves in the game which highlights a serious problem with the amount of shots they both are facing.  It's not just on the defense but the forwards back checking and the overall collapsing mentality of the team.  That needs to be addressed ASAP.

Edited by Tre Mac

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Thatchy D playing well now, maybe CDC can apologize can cut him some slack because he'll be the goalie of the future^_^.  That 5 on 3 and backdoor save on Barzal saved the Canucks bacon - hope CDC realizes this because the last two pages has been all about getting rid of Demko.:picard:

Seriously in the last calender year both Marky and Thatchy D are top of the Canucks record books for saves in the game which highlights a serious problem with the amount of shots they both are facing.  It's not just on the defense but the forwards back checking and the overall collapsing mentality of the team.  That needs to be addressed ASAP.

I'm not in the fire green boat but I do think it's a system thing.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

In the last 3 1/2 months alone look at the totals below.

Nov. 21 45 saves against Nashville JM

Dec. 12 43 saves against Carolina JM

Dec. 28 49 saves against the Kings JM

Feb. 12 49 saves against the Blackhawks JM

Mar. 10 45 saves against the Isles TD

The odd part is all of those teams are either out of the playoffs or bubble teams. Not exactly the NHL's best which is an additional part of the "serious problem" you mention above.

I took a further dive into the shots against totals and you can see why Markstrom (goaltending) "stole" so many games for the Canucks this season.

The league average for shots against in a game is 31.5.

The Canucks record when they give up 32 or more shots per game is 17-4 when Markstrom starts 7-5-1 when Demko starts. 24-9-1 overall.

As the season has progressed the shots against totals are getting higher and the wins are getting harder to get.

That's not sustainable as the playoff races ramp up.

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Cheers 1

Last night's game didn't do much to boost Demko's stats, but he made some glorious saves to keep us in it.

As much as I am happy we won and that we are generating scoring chances, the team is doomed if we can't shore up our play defensively. Even if we make the playoffs AND get Marky back, our lack of coverage is gonna bite us in the ass.

• 4 weeks later...

Demko's also streaming NHL 20 tomorrow on twitch if anyone's interested in watching. Dude needs a moderator though. Brisebois, Demko and ZMac didn't know what a mod was when chat told him he'll need one haha. It was fun explaining that to them.

If you need any confirmation if it's real check out Big Mac's Instagram story. There it will have the name of Demko's twitch channel if anyone wants to watch tomorrow. Or hit me up with a PM. You can watch the entire stream too we ask some questions but it is mostly the internet being the internet. Seems like quite a few individuals in the organization play NHL 20. He tried to get Hughes/Boeser on but it was him, ZMac(They call him Q) Breezer(Brisebois) and Breezer's brother and a College teammate of Demko.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are in danger of losing our great goalie prospect Thatcher Demko to Seattle in the expansion draft. So in terms of trades,  I'm thinking a 1st and a high prospect.

Goalie or D prospect.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We are in danger of losing our great goalie prospect Thatcher Demko to Seattle in the expansion draft. So in terms of trades,  I'm thinking a 1st and a high prospect.

Goalie or D prospect.

Eh, I don't think Demko's value is where Schneider's was when he got a 9th for him. I'd say Demko is probably worth a 15-20 pick at best right now without any prospect adds. I would consider trading him given the situation, but I don't think his value is that high right now, especially after his poor finish to what is so far the season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Eh, I don't think Demko's value is where Schneider's was when he got a 9th for him. I'd say Demko is probably worth a 15-20 pick at best right now without any prospect adds. I would consider trading him given the situation, but I don't think his value is that high right now, especially after his poor finish to what is so far the season.

So we may use this type of appraisal if that's the market  value, to offer a prospect or draft pick to protect him.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

So we may use this appraisal to offer a prospect or draft pick to protect him.

Perhaps yes. I could see us trading something to Seattle to protect Demko.

• Cheers 1

I don't think Demko played bad when Markstrom was hurt? He had 2 games that were not great but had a good stretch of games showing management he will be a #1 goalie in the NHL very soon.. The last 6 game Demko was fantastic..

Demko will be a #1 goalie only 24 years old 6'4, bright future..

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

I don't think Demko played bad when Markstrom was hurt? He had 2 games that were not great but had a good stretch of games showing management he will be a #1 goalie in the NHL very soon.. The last 6 game Demko was fantastic..

Demko will be a #1 goalie only 24 years old 6'4, bright future..

Not horribly, but his save percentage was .906 during those 8 games, which is a bit below league average. I think a lot of fans including myself were hoping he'd become the next Cory Schneider and steal the show, but instead he was just mediocre.