The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

27 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Demko is going to get shelled this season to start with an even worse defence in front of him than to end last season with Myers and Dermott out, but hopefully as they return we'll be better. We're going to need him sharp to start this season for sure.

Here's hoping the best defence is offence!  Will be in tough against Mcdavid though...

In all these bad games, Demko seems to be getting a free pass. Sure, he's been hung out to dry but the Canucks have limited shot quantity (not so much quality) and been a great 5 on 5 team.

Last year Demko would have bailed out the team and probably snagged a couple of these wins but this year he is yet to stand on his head or steal a game, and no one's talking about it because of the thin defence.

His stats are getting ugly, will be interesting to see how Martin fares...

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

In all these bad games, Demko seems to be getting a free pass. Sure, he's been hung out to dry but the Canucks have limited shot quantity (not so much quality) and been a great 5 on 5 team.

Last year Demko would have bailed out the team and probably snagged a couple of these wins but this year he is yet to stand on his head or steal a game, and no one's talking about it because of the thin defence.

His stats are getting ugly, will be interesting to see how Martin fares...

I do tend to agree. It's not fair to place full blame on Demko, but it is true that if he wants to be a Top 5 goalie in the league, he needs to bail us out of some of these rough nights. So far, he's been straight up regular at best.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Didn't watch the game today, but based on his save percentage, this appears to be the first real solid game Demko has had. Hope it's a sign of things to come.

That's true, but Kevin Woodley pointed out this morning that Carolina isn't really a team that creates a lot of high danger chances, they just pepper with you shots until it goes in. I'm not trying to take anything away from Demko's performance, but I don't think this was one he nearly "stole". Hopefully it's a building block though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, McBackup said:

That's true, but Kevin Woodley pointed out this morning that Carolina isn't really a team that creates a lot of high danger chances, they just pepper with you shots until it goes in. I'm not trying to take anything away from Demko's performance, but I don't think this was one he nearly "stole". Hopefully it's a building block though.

Even so, it could be a confidence-builder. I imagine Carolina's strategy would run into serious problems against hot goaltenders. Once you boost their confidence, they can stop 50 in a row.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Even so, it could be a confidence-builder. I imagine Carolina's strategy would run into serious problems against hot goaltenders. Once you boost their confidence, they can stop 50 in a row.

Yeah like I said, I think it could be a building block to get Demko's game back to where it can (and needs to) be. I just don't know if this would be considered a marquee performance just because of the numbers.

• Cheers 1

From watching Demko, I feel like I have a decent idea of what’s going on and why he isn’t performing as well as last season. To start last season, we were getting killed on transition plays turning into grade A breakaways and a lot of straight line shots, whereas this season our Achilles heel has been giveaways turning into cross crease passes, leading to a one-timer.

Especially the first six games, Demko had to face around 5-6 of those per game. I don’t care who you are, but the more you push off your instep into the splits, the more likely you are to tear a groin and be out for 6+ months. I wonder whether or not he’s trying to preserve his long-term health over forcing the cross crease save when the game doesn’t really matter. 

I am a big Demko fan and have been since I saw him live  in the first game he ever played for the Canucks with the Larsheiders chanting Thatcher Demko Thatcher Demko. But he has been lousy to start the year so how does he turn it around?

Ok. Demko you need to get notions out of your head about being a great goalie.  You need to focus on playing the game and stopping pucks and doing your job and winning games.

Greatness comes from  day after day repeated success it does not come from telling yourself you are great.

The game does not change just cuz you decide you are a great goalie cuz you have been hearing people in the press say it.

The game is always the same and will humble you until you realize you have to just play and stop the puck and do what you always do every day  -  greatness is the ability to do it every day for many years.

Stop being in your head and go back to being a humble hard working good goalie and stop thinking about the future. When you do that your game will turn around.

When your game turns around the Canucks will win a heck of a lot more.

Get it done partner.

Edited by fanfor42

Demko has probably been the biggest disappointment so far this season and that is not something I expected to say at any point.

That said, he's been moderately better recently: This year his save percentage is .879, but in his last four games, he's at .901

• Vintage 1

I said a while back that Demko needs to match the graphics on his pads, blocker and catcher. What I meant was he needs to update his pads to the new CCM EFLEX 6, not downgrade his blocker to the EFLEX 5.

Demko needs to move on from the EFLEX 5. The graphics design is so dated. This model had some of the ugliest graphics across the NHL during its run. Holtby's pad graphics in the Canadian Division season were awkward to look at. Markstrom has moved on to the EFLEX 6 and they look so much better. Demko needs to follow suit. 

On 11/6/2022 at 1:46 AM, -AJ- said:

Demko has probably been the biggest disappointment so far this season and that is not something I expected to say at any point.

That said, he's been moderately better recently: This year his save percentage is .879, but in his last four games, he's at .901

He officially handed the rein to Martitonight. Those goals Demko allowed guranteed he sits against Toronto and then for some time. BB can't baby the guy you play bad you sit, especially when the backup hasn't lost a game

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

He officially handed the rein to Martitonight. Those goals Demko allowed guranteed he sits against Toronto and then for some time. BB can't baby the guy you play bad you sit, especially when the backup hasn't lost a game

No way that he's lost the job that quickly, but I do think Martin may continue to get more starts. Sure, Martin has gotten more goal support, but he's just been plain better as well. Demko's saving grace is that Martin has also not been amazing, just merely okay for the most part.