The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Thatcher has been given the highest ceiling (8.5) of all goal tending prospects drafted by NHL teams.

HF Ranking Spring 2016

5. (4) Thatcher Demko, G, 8.5D
Drafted 2nd round, 36th overall, 2014

Thatcher Demko remains a top five prospect on the list with his spectacular play again this season for Boston College. With the loaded roster at BC their season goal should be nothing short of a national title. Demko has continued to improve on what is already a very impressive skill set. His agility and mobility are pro ready while his positioning and hockey sense are also exceptional. Demko will not be rushed into the NHL, but he could end up simply forcing his way onto the Canucks earlier than expected as fellow prospects Ben Hutton, Jared McCann and Jake Virtanen did at the beginning of the 2015-16 season. If Demko does turn pro after the 2015-16 season, a year or two spent in Utica with the occasional call-up to the Canucks would be management’s preferred developmental path for Demko. Thatcher Demko is the goalie of the future for the Vancouver Canucks and that future may be very soon.

Edited by Derp...

On 2/25/2016 at 7:14 PM, KoreanHockeyFan said:

It's awesome to see how Vancouver has become a goalie factory in recent years. I remember the dreaded years in the late 90s/early 2000s with the likes of Potvin, Essensa, Schwab, Skudra, Snow, and of course, Cloutier...*shivers*

Don't forget the best of all, our goaltending savior, Kevin Weekes. *Shudders*

On March 3, 2016 at 0:02 AM, Derp... said:

Thatcher has been given the highest ceiling (8.5) of all goal tending prospects drafted by NHL teams.

HF Ranking Spring 2016

Thatcher Demko remains a top five prospect on the list with his spectacular play again this season for Boston College. With the loaded roster at BC their season goal should be nothing short of a national title. Demko has continued to improve on what is already a very impressive skill set. His agility and mobility are pro ready while his positioning and hockey sense are also exceptional. Demko will not be rushed into the NHL, but he could end up simply forcing his way onto the Canucks earlier than expected as fellow prospects Ben Hutton, Jared McCann and Jake Virtanen did at the beginning of the 2015-16 season. If Demko does turn pro after the 2015-16 season, a year or two spent in Utica with the occasional call-up to the Canucks would be management’s preferred developmental path for Demko. Thatcher Demko is the goalie of the future for the Vancouver Canucks and that future may be very soon.

Wow..... Kinda contradicts the 8.5 if they gave him a D .... 

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Wow..... Kinda contradicts the 8.5 if they gave him a D .... 

Not how their rating system works. The number represents their estimate of a prospect's ceiling (8.5 would be between average starting goaltender and elite). The letter represents how far he could stop short of that. It's not a perfect system, but what is?

Since goaltending prospects are incredibly hard to gauge, especially ones who have never played a single pro game, it's fair to say they should almost ALL be 'D's.

On 3/3/2016 at 0:02 AM, Derp... said:

HF Ranking Spring 2016

HF is a joke, run by guys living in their mothers' basements, who are afraid of their own shadows.  Although they did get this one right! :P

1 minute ago, Stierlitz said:

TSN1040 5h5 hours ago

Benning on Demko: We hope he turns pro, we get him signed, and we get him started on his course of development.

Brendan Burke@brendanmburke 5h5 hours ago

This would mean Thatcher Demko would be with the @Comets next season (and probably at least a couple more after).

one year getting split time, next year full time starter, final year he dominantes the ahl

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

TSN1040 5h5 hours ago

Benning on Demko: We hope he turns pro, we get him signed, and we get him started on his course of development.

Brendan Burke@brendanmburke 5h5 hours ago

This would mean Thatcher Demko would be with the @Comets next season (and probably at least a couple more after).

I think he may surprise enough to play next season with us. The best approach would be to play him 2-3 years as an AHL starter, but Demko may force us to rush him. If he puts these stats up in his first AHL season there's no way he dont get a shot at the big club. Heck, we could be a Markstrom injury away from having Demko as a full time starter for us next year if Miller gets traded, which is a strong possibility. If SJ loses due to poor goaltending in the playoffs Miller will be a huge piece to offer.

Miller (50%)

4th

For 

1st

Riemer

56 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

I think he may surprise enough to play next season with us. The best approach would be to play him 2-3 years as an AHL starter, but Demko may force us to rush him. If he puts these stats up in his first AHL season there's no way he dont get a shot at the big club. Heck, we could be a Markstrom injury away from having Demko as a full time starter for us next year if Miller gets traded, which is a strong possibility. If SJ loses due to poor goaltending in the playoffs Miller will be a huge piece to offer.

Miller (50%)

4th

For 

1st

Riemer

I think Demko gets at least one year with Utica. There's no need to rush him, unless there's an injury to Markstrom or Miller next season. I also think Miller is gone by the trade deadline, unless we're contending for a playoff spot at the same time next season, which is a possibility based Sutter being healthy and Edler as well. 

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Demko gets at least one year with Utica. There's no need to rush him, unless there's an injury to Markstrom or Miller next season. I also think Miller is gone by the trade deadline, unless we're contending for a playoff spot at the same time next season, which is a possibility based Sutter being healthy and Edler as well. 

I was thinking about a miller trade last night for some random reason. My conclusion is no way he gett traded.

Thats just my opinion/prediction of course. 

52 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

I was thinking about a miller trade last night for some random reason. My conclusion is no way he gett traded.

Thats just my opinion/prediction of course. 

To which team for Miller?  What if Demko proves he's ready by next season's TDL while in Utica?  Do we trade Miller then and bring up Demko?  Heck what if Demko signs right after his college season, goes to Utica and proves he's ready now?  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To which team for Miller?  What if Demko proves he's ready by next season's TDL while in Utica?  Do we trade Miller then and bring up Demko?  Heck what if Demko signs right after his college season, goes to Utica and proves he's ready now?  

Lotta what ifs in your post. What if he world ends before next season?

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Lotta what ifs in your post. What if he world ends before next season?

The Donald wins the Presidency, and gets access to the EASY launch button and the world could end, but that would be during the season. :ph34r:

7 hours ago, McHortanen said:

Miller (50%)

4th

For 

1st

Riemer

1) 35 year old goaltenders making 6M don't get 1st round picks.

2) Miller hasn't been good enough to fetch that kind of return.

3) Reimer is a UFA this summer.

4) Doug Wilson doesn't trade 1sts

5) The Sharks don't have a 2nd next year, usually teams try to have at least one pick in the first two rounds.

A fair return for Miller would be around a 3rd round pick and that is with salary retained. Reimer has similar stats this year and he fetched a 4th. Jones is their starter long term, they aren't going to be paying that price for a backup rental.

• Upvote 2