The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I think you’re wrong. Tryamkin had a better season than Stecher in my eyes, and that’s not even a knock on Stetcher, who was a revelation. Tryamkin came in, and was instantly a threat on every team’s radar. Stecher got more points, but Tryamkin got recognized mch more. Its pretty simple, you dump the puck in, who would you rather see retrieving the puck while you’re trying to forecheck? Tanev, Stecher or Tryamkin? I know my answer... So do Reaves. Jenner, Smith, Benn etc.. and they’re all power forwards...

I think you're comparing to the wrong guy. Stecher was used more because of his offense. It's Tanev that got the defensive minutes. Again, Stecher better offensively and Tanev better defensively put Try #3. Try was better physically than either. The biggest problem I saw with Try, his physical game was inconsistant. It's great to have a physical D but if he's not the best choice offensively or defensively he's going to be in that #3 role on his side. That fact he wanted it handed to him, rather than working to earn it, is a red flag. That red flag is waving higher as far as I'm concerned. Born out among his reasons for going home and now wanting assurances if he's to return. As much as I'd like to have him on the team he's no Chara at this point to make demands of role and ice time.

He's definitely NHL calibre, and could have made Tanev expendable, but he didn't want to earn it. I honestly think if he had re-signed (and showed up in shape) Tanev would have been moved during this past season and he would have had what he wanted - top minutes. It's a shame.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I think you're comparing to the wrong guy. Stecher was used more because of his offense. It's Tanev that got the defensive minutes. Again, Stecher better offensively and Tanev better defensively put Try #3. Try was better physically than either. The biggest problem I saw with Try, his physical game was inconsistant. It's great to have a physical D but if he's not the best choice offensively or defensively he's going to be in that #3 role on his side. That fact he wanted it handed to him, rather than working to earn it, is a red flag. That red flag is waving higher as far as I'm concerned. Born out among his reasons for going home and now wanting assurances if he's to return. As much as I'd like to have him on the team he's no Chara at this point to make demands of role and ice time.

He's definitely NHL calibre, and could have made Tanev expendable, but he didn't want to earn it. I honestly think if he had re-signed (and showed up in shape) Tanev would have been moved during this past season and he would have had what he wanted - top minutes. It's a shame.

This is my concern with Tryamkin.  That and he has some work to do on his game.  Flipping the puck out of the zone or icing the puck is not a very productive zone exit.

The skills and skating are there, they just have to be developed and I'm not confident he's getting it in Yekaterinberg.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

This is my concern with Tryamkin.  That and he has some work to do on his game.  Flipping the puck out of the zone or icing the puck is not a very productive zone exit.

The skills and skating are there, they just have to be developed and I'm not confident he's getting it in Yekaterinberg.

I don’t think we have been watching the same player, this kid in his rookie year shut down JBenn, TBrower, and a host of other power forwards that Tanev, a seasoned vet would rather play shinny with and end up on IR for half a season.

I recently posted this, and @Hairy Kneel has posted others to refresh your memory. Tryamkin is everything the Canucks lack on D.. hopefully using Tanev plus others in a trade brings us a legit nhl proven #1 D before next season.

http://dai.ly/x676pzp (coast to coast)

Ps. Tryamkin avgd 22 mins a game last season in the KHL, captained his Team, named an all star, and a spare on the National squad.

... that IS where this kid in the present. Let go of the past.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t think we have been watching the same player, this kid in his rookie year shut down JBenn, TBrower, and a host of other power forwards that Tanev, a seasoned vet would rather play shinny with and end up on IR for half a season.

I recently posted this, and @Hairy Kneel has posted others to refresh your memory. Tryamkin is everything the Canucks lack on D.. hopefully using Tanev plus others in a trade brings us a legit nhl proven #1 D before next season.

I agree with all that, just didn't post it.  I'm just saying that he has developing to do.  I think he could make a #4 if developed properly and really don't know if he's getting that in Siberia

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

And this beauty, who on our D can do this? 

Love this one. 

Nails Pirri then sends Stewart to the ice and all that's left is Getzlaf hugging Higgins and nicely using his words. 

I could watch this on loop. We need this in the team desperately. Tired of getting pushed around. Him and Gudbranson patrolling the blue line would be amazing. Our 2 tough guys on the blue line are not only intimidating but can also play really well. The others are skilled. What a balanced group

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I agree with all that, just didn't post it.  I'm just saying that he has developing to do.  I think he could make a #4 if developed properly and really don't know if he's getting that in Siberia

He has been getting top mins against top opponents..  this kid is not built to regress...  the sooner he gets here with Green, that’s when Greens patience and prowess will guide Nik to his dreams of being an outstanding player in the NHL.

Fortunately, Nik met Green between the 15-16 / 16-17 season.

His comments when asked to compare Desjardins to Green were quite humorous...

When asked about WD , Nik replied that “WD was an average person,”.  Compared to TG?? “ TG is above average person”

love it.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Try has a great first pass and can skate the puck up.... 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Let's roll this back a little.

There is no doubt that initially, Tryamkin was out of shape...…..we didn't need any training staff to show us his face, on TV after a shift....he was bagged.....no doubt

But to his credit and that of his contract, he played himself into shape...…….

So, let's FF to the end...what did we have

I believe Tryamkin was holding his own, defensively, when the others were injured

and

Most importantly, what I saw at the end was a player that impacted the game...……..

Now Zepp, and Baggins, you can not say he didn't at the end

They ran at him, they tried fighting him, and they stopped trying to enter our zone on his side of the ice, when he was on the ice

I remember that distinctly, not one game, but most games...….at the end this was very evident

And that is what we should be talking about here...………

Not what he was when he first came here, but what he was when he left

Now Zepp, I am not hearing you say otherwise but from your experience

When a player is impacting almost every game, there is a lot of talking about that player.....True?

When opposing coaches, start changing their attack, because of a player...….I would think that is verifying that impact

Now I will be the first one to admit that Tryamkin walked at a bad time in his career,

when he could have started to really impacting the Canucks, and it was poor timing.....we would all agree to that!

But to have a chance to get that player back, and to have that chance to have him develop into what he had begun to play 

and not give him every chance to show his talent...….would be asinine.

IMO.when he left...……..his value was high and proven...…...say in comparison, to say...…….

any of Vancouver's #3 defencemen (MDZ, Stecher or Gudbranson)……...before you get all hot and stuffy there ZEPP....lol

Answer me this...…...when was the last time you seen any of those 3 control a game/net and or impact a game?

And they all had ample time to develop....to a lesser degree Stecher

Remember.MDZ $3M and Gud $4 M per year...……..Blah, blah, blah...…...

My only fear is a regression......which at his age is most likely reversable

But the way to solve all this BS is.

Get him to camp, unsigned and heavily insured and let's find out...…..

If he is serious and comes in, in shape and dominates...…………...then you have to pay him the going rate or close to it

If he doesn't ring the bell for Green, Linden and Benning. trade his rights at camp for what you think he is worth

Or send him home...……...pretty easy really!

Just be prepared to live with the consequences either way!

I think I understand your question....to be fair, it was pretty hard to follow!   No question I agree that Tryamkin was an impactful player but not always for the right reasons.   Fans certainly saw good things but he did a lot of very poor things too and demonstrated, even in his best games, he had a ways to go before he was a legitimate everyday NHL player on a good team.   When you are a Dman, being noticed is both good and bad Janis - teams were exploiting him by luring him into bad hits etc. too...yes, they clearly saw what he could do but also what they could do to neutraulize him.   He seems a smart kid and has talent - he just needs the coaching and development and that is why this crucial time of his development is NOT being helped in KHL.

If you second question is getting him here, my answer is sure but he has a contract to break and a decision to make and also a wife to convince.   No way that is on the Canucks - if he wants to be here this coming fall, that can happen but the big guy and his agent have to make the move....Canucks cannot do more than say what they have been saying.

Did I answer or did I miss it?   

PS - sorry, still don't agree he was more valuable as an NHL Dman than those you named when he left.  He may be more valuable as a trading piece IF he was in NHL but in terms of what he did on the ice, I remain of the opinion (and apparently in the minority on this board) that he had a ways to go and would take at least another season or three, including potentially some AHL time, to really learn how to play D.   

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Fine but then why blame everyone else. I distinctly remember one of the team say in an interview, he was a lot better with the language than he let on.

There is way more to culture then language.  Call it home sick. He was just not ready for the move. 

People say things they don't mean. I think he is worth a second chance. If it doesn't work it is no loss. 

I am not comparing him to any of our other D men and saying he is better then this one and so in. I think he brings something that we are missing.  I don't think he needs to fight or be a big goon, just to clear that up. All he needs to do is play a solid two game . Take care of his own end first and be a bit physical.  6' 7" 268lb 's and very mobile says it all. There is not a team in the league that would not love to have him in their system.

• Upvote 2

near the end of the season tram wasn't even hitting or rarely. I like him, but when he said he was returning home, I felt he just never gave his all to the team. all he showed was he wanted  everything given  without working hard .

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Hi Rob...Thanks for getting back to me

I think I understand your question....to be fair, it was pretty hard to follow!   No question I agree that Tryamkin was an impactful player but not always for the right reasons.   Fans certainly saw good things but he did a lot of very poor things too and demonstrated, even in his best games, he had a ways to go before he was a legitimate everyday NHL player on a good team.   When you are a Dman, being noticed is both good and bad Janis - teams were exploiting him by luring him into bad hits etc. too...yes, they clearly saw what he could do but also what they could do to neutraulize him.   He seems a smart kid and has talent - he just needs the coaching and development and that is why this crucial time of his development is NOT being helped in KHL.

No Doubt my comments were a little scattered, but I remain convinced I am right on Tryamkin. In saying that, I am always interested on your take on these types of things, as I respect your opinion very much. I looked at Tryamkin as I would a rookie, and his development was solid IMO, and again I respect your view.....I think we just differ a tad, but I asked, and am happy with you opinion...…..I will agree not in the KHL......totally! 

If you second question is getting him here, my answer is sure but he has a contract to break and a decision to make and also a wife to convince.   No way that is on the Canucks - if he wants to be here this coming fall, that can happen but the big guy and his agent have to make the move....Canucks cannot do more than say what they have been saying.

Man your a hard ass. LOL! Keenan like! LOL......no seriously I agree with it being on him and his agent, but also feel it is on the Canucks too! After all, is it not their objective to have the best team possible? I understand your reservations, as I know lots of guys like yourself that have worked very hard and got a cup of coffee or less, and have heard the stories and dedication it takes to just see the edge of being a pro. I get that! And I get that Tryamkin needs to show he wants to come back....no doubt! But I think his agent and Benning need to sit down and talk this out...…..what is best for him and what is best for the Canucks...……….if Benning can say he has done this and Tryamkin doesn't get it, well then maybe it is time to cut bait, but until Benning says its over.....I expect Benning to work his butt off trying to get him back. Maybe a bridge deal that gets him back, but has no NTC or no AHL exclusion clause in it.

Did I answer or did I miss it?   

PS - sorry, still don't agree he was more valuable as an NHL Dman than those you named when he left. I think we will just agree to disagree on that one He may be more valuable as a trading piece IF he was in NHL but in terms of what he did on the ice I agree, I remain of the opinion (and apparently in the minority on this board) that he had a ways to go I agree and would take at least another season or three maybe now that he left for the KHL, including potentially some AHL time maybe, to really learn how to play D.   

Thanks again Rob, …….please appreciate our differences....I do! And I wouldn't ask if I just wanted to hear myself! 

Cheers!

7 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

This is a fun clip as well. 

I'm sure Demko would love to have someone like Tryamkin clear the crease. 

The whole debate aside, who - as Canuck's fans - doesn't enjoy watching these clips? How long have we been waiting for someone with physical attributes like his? He made us a harder team to play against in 2016/2017. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

No Doubt my comments were a little scattered, but I remain convinced I am right on Tryamkin. In saying that, I am always interested on your take on these types of things, as I respect your opinion very much. I looked at Tryamkin as I would a rookie, and his development was solid IMO, and again I respect your view.....I think we just differ a tad, but I asked, and am happy with you opinion...…..I will agree not in the KHL......totally! 

Man your a hard ass. LOL! Keenan like! LOL......no seriously I agree with it being on him and his agent, but also feel it is on the Canucks too! After all, is it not their objective to have the best team possible? I understand your reservations, as I know lots of guys like yourself that have worked very hard and got a cup of coffee or less, and have heard the stories and dedication it takes to just see the edge of being a pro. I get that! And I get that Tryamkin needs to show he wants to come back....no doubt! But I think his agent and Benning need to sit down and talk this out...…..what is best for him and what is best for the Canucks...……….if Benning can say he has done this and Tryamkin doesn't get it, well then maybe it is time to cut bait, but until Benning says its over.....I expect Benning to work his butt off trying to get him back. Maybe a bridge deal that gets him back, but has no NTC or no AHL exclusion clause in it.

Thanks again Rob, …….please appreciate our differences....I do! And I wouldn't ask if I just wanted to hear myself! 

Cheers!

Remember,  until the player/agent indicate they want to come to North America....it is pretty much tampering if Benning is to approach Tryamkin after one year of a three year contract.   There is no firm agreement between NHL and KHL as far as I am aware - and I don't think the Canucks can do much more than what they have done, keep a door open to the kid if he changes his (his wife's) mind.

43 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Remember,  until the player/agent indicate they want to come to North America....it is pretty much tampering if Benning is to approach Tryamkin after one year of a three year contract.   There is no firm agreement between NHL and KHL as far as I am aware - and I don't think the Canucks can do much more than what they have done, keep a door open to the kid if he changes his (his wife's) mind.

Any idea what a buyout of his KHL contract would look like? How slim a possibility is that really do you think?

2 hours ago, AllWeatherFan said:

The whole debate aside, who - as Canuck's fans - doesn't enjoy watching these clips? How long have we been waiting for someone with physical attributes like his? He made us a harder team to play against in 2016/2017. 

There's no one on our D that would do this to Broewer. 

We need his toughness.

14 hours ago, appleboy said:

There is way more to culture then language.  Call it home sick. He was just not ready for the move. 

People say things they don't mean. I think he is worth a second chance. If it doesn't work it is no loss. 

I am not comparing him to any of our other D men and saying he is better then this one and so in. I think he brings something that we are missing.  I don't think he needs to fight or be a big goon, just to clear that up. All he needs to do is play a solid two game . Take care of his own end first and be a bit physical.  6' 7" 268lb 's and very mobile says it all. There is not a team in the league that would not love to have him in their system.

Except one glance through here and it is patently obvious why Tryamkin is so hyped. It has nothing to do with his play, he was not exceptional in any of the basics. It was his size and use of that size OCCASIONALLY to intimidate the opposition. 

Contrary to what is said on here, he did not read the play that well, he DID get drawn out of position quite often and his skating often looked laboured imo due to never being as fit as he could be. All that was acceptable though because he intimidated the opposition in a way Tanev and Stech were not equipped to do.

However you have to get the whole package right and get the conditioning at it's peak to get the high minutes - if he comes back and does that he will have a case for his self entitlement. (something I never ever saw in Chris Tanev despite his early baptism into the 2011 playoff team and playing well)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

There's no one on our D that would do this to Broewer. 

We need his toughness.

And yet according to Tryamkin himself it was something he didn't understand or want to do. 

WD NEVER asked him to fight by the way. (compare that with many of the hypocrites on here - including yourself who obviously take great pleasure in the fight videos while slating WD for wanting him to intimidate CONSISTENTLY) He asked him to be consistent - and yet despite the inconsistency WD still played him nearly 17mins a night.

• Cheers 1