The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:43 AM, aqua59 said:

I arranged my day so I could watch the Canucks yesterday. I have no problems watching a young player learn and grow, instead we got to watch the Sedins grow slow. The older players, other than Burrows and Hansen, are painful to watch.

I actually either went for a snack and beer or flipped to the Seattle debacle rather than watch the Canucks PP. Which I'll point out was mainly the Sedins.

Lou Erikkson. I've watched this guy well before he became a Canuck. There's no way he's lost his MoJo that fast. WD has failed when it comes to using this guy. What line is he really on? I still have a hard time seeing over 6 million bucks skating on the third line. That's less ice  time for success and more for confusion. I watched more Toronto games last year because Mike Babcock had taken over as coach. Has WD taken any time to watch his counterpart coach young players? Losing was common, but how Toronto lost last season was the key. The Leafs had jam and lots of effort growing in confidence every time out. Vancouver doesn't show this. (note - I loath Toronto).

WD keeps playing the Sedins hoping something will happen, see power play, yet WD keeps Bo Hovarts line with minimal ice time during the PP. He's not playing the young guys. To top that off he sits Sven. 

Playing back to back games is no excuse. Every team does it.

WD fails to have this team even close to ready to play. Wrong guy for the growth and development of our young players. 

I used to think that most coaches were roughly equal.  It's the players that play.  But, I kind of agree with you: Babcock is getting a lot out of his players, and not by flooding the neutral zone/trapping or simply chipping and chasing.  The Eriksson debacle is painful to watch, as is the decline of the Sedins.  Less Megna, more Eriksson with the Sedins... and make them the official 2nd line.  Period.   Next year, presumably we get Boeser and maybe another young forward (Gaudette? Lockwood?) making the team.  This will give Horvat more potential linemates, and more options for Sutter as well.  

The pp has been bad ever since Desjardins took over.  Lately, the pp is bad for the same reason the team has not quite got there yet: inability to see that the succession has already happened: Stecher and Hutton, Horvat, and Baertschi need to be the core of the first pp unit.  Tryamkin also needs time on the pp.  And they need to practice the pp -- far too predictable, general inability to get to the net.  Horvat is the exception, but he still doesn't play on the first pp unit often enough.

Time for a new coach.  One that can see the future.  Presumably mgt is on the same page.

Edited by gameburn2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

I used to think that most coaches were roughly equal.  It's the players that play.  But, I kind of agree with you: Babcock is getting a lot out of his players, and not by flooding the neutral zone/trapping or simply chipping and chasing.  The Eriksson debacle is painful to watch, as is the decline of the Sedins.  Less Megna, more Eriksson with the Sedins... and make them the official 2nd line.  Period.   Next year, presumably we get Boeser and maybe another young forward (Gaudette? Lockwood?) making the team.  This will give Horvat more potential linemates, and more options for Sutter as well.  

The pp has been bad ever since Desjardins took over.  The same cause: inability to see that the succession has already happened: Stecher and Hutton, Horvat, and Baertschi need to be the core of the first pp unit.   And they need to practice the pp -- far too predictable, general inability to get to the net.  Horvat is the exception, but he still doesn't play on the first pp unit often enough.

Time for a new coach.  One that can see the future.  Presumably mgt is on the same page.

Willie is not going to think about next season.  His job is on the line.  It's too bad really, that JB didn't just publicly state from day one that we were building for the future, and support his coach.  Instead it's the "compete for the playoffs" mantra.  Any coach can't be expected to develop players, with that hanging over his head.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Alflives said:

Willie is not going to think about next season.  His job is on the line.  It's too bad really, that JB didn't just publicly state from day one that we were building for the future, and support his coach.  Instead it's the "compete for the playoffs" mantra.  Any coach can't be expected to develop players, with that hanging over his head.

I have always assumed that they didn't really mean what they said about competing for the playoffs -- at least as their number one goal.  But if you look at the inability to move the older players, over-reliance on plugs and tweeners, the way they bungled Virtanen -- and now Rodin -- I think they might actually be saying what they mean.  Which is sad.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gameburn2 said:

I have always assumed that they didn't really mean what they said about competing for the playoffs -- at least as their number one goal.  But if you look at the inability to move the older players, over-reliance on plugs and tweeners, the way they bungled Virtanen -- and now Rodin -- I think they might actually be saying what they mean.  Which is sad.

Hey, it's a lesson in being a true Canuck's fan.  We will strive for mediocrity. :(

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully Nikita remembers &^@#land's face, and removes it from his head the next time the Canucks play the Flames. 

Thats probably the hardest he's ever been hit, they don't do that in the KHL. Ferkface is given too much credit. A much less skilled Matt Cooke knock-off. 

We do lack the ability to push back harder tho which i hope JB is scouting on as we speak. 

Edited by S'all Good Man

33 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thats probably the hardest he's ever been hit, they don't do that in the KHL. Ferkface is given too much credit. A much less skilled Matt Cooke knock-off. 

We do lack the ability to push back harder tho which i hope JB is scouting on as we speak. 

I do want to see Tryamkin exact his own revenge though. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

We had to know that various thugs would be testing Tryamkin.  Since his sensational pasting of Brandon Pirri and subsequent throwing down of Chris Stewart of the Ducks on April 1, 2016 of all days, he leapt onto the radar screen of NHL players.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czSBUMHSenQ

As far as lacking push back.  We are well aware that particularly the Canuck forwards are a work in progress.  Bennings construction of the defense is further along than the forwards and on defense, each line has a player who can play a physical game paired with a more skilled player.  It is fair to suggest that he has similar plans for the forwards.  

Tryamkin has the tools clearly and showed his inexperience at not being fully prepared for the Ferland hit.  I think this has been a wake up call for him.  He is a quick learner and I would like to think he would be ready for such challenges in the future.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, gameburn2 said:

The pp has been bad ever since Desjardins took over.  Lately, the pp is bad for the same reason the team has not quite got there yet: inability to see that the succession has already happened: Stecher and Hutton, Horvat, and Baertschi need to be the core of the first pp unit.  Tryamkin also needs time on the pp.  And they need to practice the pp -- far too predictable, general inability to get to the net.  Horvat is the exception, but he still doesn't play on the first pp unit often enough.

How about dropping TryamKing down to the half boards and have him carry the puck straight to the net. A meeting ensues. Ericksson is killer in the slot. Be garbage goals for everyone!

Sorry butt our PP is so bad,  time for the Buffy solution. Imagine Try getting into the slot. Who's going to push him out?

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, gameburn2 said:

To be fair, I remember the Canucks PP being garbage even before WD. But I agree, there needs to be radical experimentation and retooling for this perennially easy to predict PP. 27th (PP%) right now, yet we're gunning for the playoffs? Sorry, not going to go far with those dismal numbers.

Edited by Moonshinefe
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

We had to know that various thugs would be testing Tryamkin.  Since his sensational pasting of Brandon Pirri and subsequent throwing down of Chris Stewart of the Ducks on April 1, 2016 of all days, he leapt onto the radar screen of NHL players.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czSBUMHSenQ

As far as lacking push back.  We are well aware that particularly the Canuck forwards are a work in progress.  Bennings construction of the defense is further along than the forwards and on defense, each line has a player who can play a physical game paired with a more skilled player.  It is fair to suggest that he has similar plans for the forwards.  

Tryamkin has the tools clearly and showed his inexperience at not being fully prepared for the Ferland hit.  I think this has been a wake up call for him.  He is a quick learner and I would like to think he would be ready for such challenges in the future.

Not worried about Tryamkin. It is his rookie season and he will learn. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Ferland hit. It is so bad in the NHL now a days that any legit hit requires a fighting response. Canadian hockey is dying as a result. I would have Ferland on my team in a heart beat.   

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Not worried about Tryamkin. It is his rookie season and he will learn. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Ferland hit. It is so bad in the NHL now a days that any legit hit requires a fighting response. Canadian hockey is dying as a result. I would have Ferland on my team in a heart beat.   

Sure it was clean.  It didn't look to me like Tryamkin expected to get hit that hard.  Ferland is a big boy at 225 himself and there are lots of other guys that size who know how to hit hard too.  I'm not worried either.  Let's just call it a wake up call.

On 2017-01-09 at 5:33 PM, S'all Good Man said:

I like your Cooke comparison 

28 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Superb move for the big man!

tryamkin-twiler-22.gif?w=778&h=433

He skates so well! One of the Calgary games he made some slick moves, starting to get some confidence offensively. His conditioning will improve and as he further adjusts to the NHL game the sky is the limit. 

23 hours ago, Boudrias said:

True. If I'm Michael F***land, I'm going to not be looking forward to the day, down the road when Nikita chooses to return the favour.

• Upvote 1

If I were Benning, I'd be locking this guy down with a bridge deal as soon as possible. I was saying he is the 2nd coming of Jovo last April and when you see him start to take rushes up the ice with the puck it gets more apparent that he's just scratching the surface of what he can become. I'd love to see him paired with Tanev and just given the green light to lead the rush. 

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

If I were Benning, I'd be locking this guy down with a bridge deal as soon as possible. I was saying he is the 2nd coming of Jovo last April and when you see him start to take rushes up the ice with the puck it gets more apparent that he's just scratching the surface of what he can become. I'd love to see him paired with Tanev and just given the green light to lead the rush. 

I agree a bridge deal of something like 3 x 3.33 or whatever