The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

I like what I am reading about him, most top defensemen in the league aren't found in the first round. I'll be following his progress in Russia (its awesome to be able to mention Russia again) with a lot of interest.

Wondering which Canucks scout went to freeze his balls off to watch this guy play?

Probably Sergei Chibisov.

“I’m a defensive dman who can join the rush once in a while,” Tryamkin said. “I can handle myself in a fight and protect my teammates.”

“It may be easier for him to play in the smaller rinks,” Chibisov said. “We’d like him to get more mean, in a positive way.

Cited from: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/28/canucks-can-draft-russians-again-and-they-get-a-huge-one/

I like how he thinks and how Chibisov wants Tryamkin to develop - along the lines of Chara...but "in a good way".

Just do not want to see Max Pacioretty type hits...too much potential for injury and after the Bertuzzi incident we don't need black eyes like that again.

Edited by Puck'nAnimal

So this is Benning`s future Chara? Played full time in the KHL as a 19 year old. I really like this pick, hopefully he becomes more than a depth defenseman.

Also, will he be able to play in the Young Stars Tourney?

Edit: Benning said he's 6'7.5" and 265lbs. That could make him one of the heaviest players in the NHL.

Edited by I♥Huberdeau

I'm all for a gamble after the second round, and I really love this pick. I'm stoked that Benning isn't against picking Russians, and his playing in the KHL should help him with his development curve. He's already playing against men, so hopefully that translates into him being able to slot in sooner.

Guy is a monster, I love it.

Probably Sergei Chibisov.

“I’m a defensive dman who can join the rush once in a while,” Tryamkin said. “I can handle myself in a fight and protect my teammates.”

“It may be easier for him to play in the smaller rinks,” Chibisov said. “We’d like him to get more mean, in a positive way.

Cited from: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/28/canucks-can-draft-russians-again-and-they-get-a-huge-one/

I like how he thinks and how Chibisov wants Tryamkin to develop - along the lines of Chara...but "in a good way".

Just do not want to see Max Pacioretty type hits...too much potential for injury and after the Bertuzzi incident we don't need black eyes like that again.

Can you imagine this kid clearing the crease? Bodies are gonna fly!

looks like a solid pick keep in mind if u look at most of the star d around the league they are 2nd round or higher picks. i think webber was a 2nd or 3rd guys like markov chara bieksa etc etc were also later picks. I think just based on his size and the fact he already plays with men hes much more ready then we might think. id be surprised if he doesnt have an out close letting him walk from the khl. if so get him on utica and let him develop in the ahl so he can adjust to the smaller rink. like this pick a lot

Guest Dasein

So this is Benning`s future Chara? Played full time in the KHL as a 19 year old. I really like this pick, hopefully he becomes more than a depth defenseman.

Also, will he be able to play in the Young Stars Tourney?

Edit: Benning said he's 6'7.5" and 265lbs. That could make him one of the heaviest players in the NHL.

HOLY sh!t

It looks like he's carrying some fat which may account for that, but if he commits himself to cut some of the fat and put on a little more muscle... watch out Pacific divsion, heck, the NHL.

True wild card. His size makes it all the more appealing.

If he works out. Wow a beast.

If not, he goes back to khl and we lost out on a 3rd(?) rd pick. Whoppity doo.

Great asset management is just starting. I like how benning and linden are working in tandem.

• Upvote 1

Like others have said, might as well take a gamble with the 3rd.

Sure we could have easily taken a safe pick and possibly gotten ourselves another third liner or bottom pairing D-man. But if this guy reaches his potential, he has the ability to be that top 2 imposing presence on the back end.

Edited by DeNiro