The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I'll be happy if he can come in, play a simple game and use his wing span/stick to break up plays, use his size to erase guys off the puck in the corners/boards by just leaning on them and keep our crease relatively clear while he's out there.

I'm not expecting explosive hits, fights etc and I'll expect he'll take a couple weeks of games and practices before he starts to get used to the increased tempo of play.

Still excited as all hell to FINALLY get a better look at him and his potential.

yep, it is pretty nice to see some drafted prospects actually have NHL potential. Really liked how he played at the world juniors so hopefully he can bring more of that at this level. 

Vancouver Canucks @VanCanucks 3h3 hours ago

Desjardins, speaking about Russian Nikita Tryamkin (who arrives in town tonight): "Hockey is a common language. He'll have a chance to play".

"He didn't know much english last time he was here. It was interesting talking, just wanted him to know I'm a friend!" - Hutton, on Tryamkin.

"It's going to be awesome. I skated with him before at camp and he can move on the ice. He's a big boy" - Horvat, on Tryamkin #Canucks

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Desjardins, speaking about Russian Nikita Tryamkin (who arrives in town tonight): "Hockey is a common language. He'll have a chance to play".

"He didn't know much english last time he was here. It was interesting talking, just wanted him to know I'm a friend!" - Hutton, on Tryamkin.

"It's going to be awesome. I skated with him before at camp and he can move on the ice. He's a big boy" - Horvat, on Tryamkin #Canucks

Stierlitz, I have a question for you...

Do you have any insight into what his likely salary range would have been in the KHL this year, in USD?

I ask because I am interested to know how much he may be sacrificing if he does spend a couple of weeks in the AHL, from a cost/benefit analysis.

Edited by theminister

I think one thing we should be aware of is that he may likely take a bunch too many minors as he gets adjusted to the pace, referees,  and rink size.

I can foresee an inordinate amount of interference, holding, hooking, tripping, and roughing minors to start.

Let's hope he can stay away from the checks to the head and not be labelled too soon.

14 minutes ago, theminister said:

Stierlitz, I have a question for you...

Do you have any insight into what his likely salary range would have been in the KHL this year, in USD?

I ask because I am interested to know how much he may be sacrificing if he does spend a couple of weeks in the AHL, from a cost/benefit analysis.

Well, the minimum salary for KHL player of 22 years age and older is 3 mln roubles that just a year ago was around $100,000 US. With the current currency rate around 70, his AHL salary would be close to the minimum KHL range. But he might get KHL contract with much higher salary rate considering that he played top minutes in his team.

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Upvote 3

Found today's interview with his agent Vladimir Zorkin: http://www.championat.com/hockey/news-2402706-agent-trjamkina-v-igre-trjamkina-net-slabykh-mest-on-mnogo-rabotaet-nad-soboj.html

"Tryamkin speaks English but not perfectly. At least he understands everything. He talked to international players in Avto and they understood each other".

8 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Well, the minimum salary for KHL player of 22 years age and older is 3 mln roubles that just a year ago was around $100,000 US. With the current currency rate around 70, his AHL salary would be close to the minimum KHL range. But he might get KHL contract with much higher salary rate considering that he played top minutes in his team.

Right... so it might be reasonably assumed that he wouldn't get more than, say, $10 mil roubles, or $300,000 USD, give or take?

I ask because there has been a lot of suggestion from people that he would refuse any time in the AHL next year, either for money or for the prestige factor.

However, I'm thinking that even if he spent 25% of the year in the AHL at $70k USD and 75% in the NHL at $925k USD, that he would still be earning in the $750,000 USD range, more than twice what he would earn in the KHL.

Therefore, I don't think there is a financial disincentive for him to spend some time in the AHL as long as he spends a good chunk of the year in the NHL.

Edited by theminister

1 minute ago, theminister said:

Right... so it might be reasonably assumed that he wouldn't get more than, say, $10 mil roubles, or $300,000 USD, give or take?

I ask because there has been a lot of suggestion from people that he would refuse any time in the AHL next year, either for money or for the prestige factor.

However, I'm thinking that even if he spent 25% of the year in the AHL at $70k USD and 75% in the NHL at $925k USD, that he would still be earning in the $750,000 USD range, more than twice what he would earn in the KHL.

Therefore, I don;t think there is a financial disincentive for him to spend some time in the AHL as long as he spends a good chunk of the year in the NHL.

My understanding from Nikita's previous interviews was that that was his agent who pushed Tryamkin to reject time in AHL because agent would get much less commission in that case...

I personally think he could be persuaded to spend some time in the AHL, once he gets to Vancouver.  If they can show him that it's all part of the process, I think the positives of staying in NA to tune up his game will shine through.

2 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

My understanding from Nikita's previous interviews was that that was his agent who pushed Tryamkin to reject time in AHL because agent would get much less commission in that case...

I get that would be true if he was buried in the minors for the majority of the season but it doesn't seem like he would benefit either from prematurely pulling back to Russia. That would be an overreaction.

I think they would only do that if he spent a long time in the AHL and saw multiple other players being called up over him.

From all of this, I frankly believe that his clause is not set in stone... it's only there to provide the option.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, wshdrvvn said:

I personally think he could be persuaded to spend some time in the AHL, once he gets to Vancouver.  If they can show him that it's all part of the process, I think the positives of staying in NA to tune up his game will shine through.

I don't see problem with that - Nikita is not greedy, he is honest, respectful, straight forward person loyal to his team.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, theminister said:

I get that would be true if he was buried in the minors for the majority of the season but it doesn't seem like he would benefit either from prematurely pulling back to Russia. That would be an overreaction.

I think they would only do that if he spent a long time in the AHL and saw multiple other players being called up over him.

From all of this, I frankly believe that his clause is not set in stone... it's only there to provide the option.

I believe he may be sent to Comets for conditioning even after the TDL. Not sure about long period in the AHL, he might need to go through waivers due to his 3-year pro status...

4 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Not really expecting a whole lot from Tryamkin. Just want him to play good defensively and be physical.

And that's probably what everyone should be thinking. Sadly , he is coming in to cheer up a disgruntled fan base and will be expected to do way more then he's probably capable of.

He's is intriguing , but I highly doubt he's guna walk in here and dominate the way everyone seems to expect him to. He is still very young and will need time. I guess u never know though ( as we saw with Hutton). Personally , I just want to see potential and that's all I'm expecting 

Edited by cuporbust

Just now, Stierlitz said:

I believe he may be sent to Comets for conditioning even after the TDL. Not sure about long period in the AHL, he might need to go through waivers due to his 3-year pro status...

No, waivers is based off of his NHL games played and years since his draft eligibility. 

He won't have to go through waivers for quite a while yet. At least until this contract is up and he is 24. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

And that's probably what everyone should be thinking. Sadly , he is coming in to cheer up a disgruntled fan base and will be expected to do way more then he's probably capable of.

He's is intriguing , but I highly doubt he's guna walk in here and dominate the way everyone seems to expect him to. He is still very young and will need time. I guess u never know though ( as we saw with Hutton). Personally , I just want to see potential and that's all I'm expecting 

I sure see this 'everyone' sentiment being tossed around easily and often on CDC lately.

No, not 'everyone' is expecting circa 2011 Chara his first shift.

• Upvote 2