The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign Centre Jared McCann

McCann is going to be a real solid player for us. He was ranked as having the 5th best IQ in the draft, comparable to Reinhart and Bennet. I think we got a real gem. If he is given a bigger role on the team I'm sure he can put up some great offensive numbers. The only knock on him was that he hasn't been able to translate his skill/hockey IQ into points but Kyle Dubas (now Toronto AGM) stated that McCann was too focused on defence during the season and thus deployed in more defensive zone situations. I don't see that as a problem as all. He could definitely become a Kesler comparable for us in a couple years.

Yes! Now time to sign Virtanen?

Considering Virtanen's injured and undergoing rehab at least until September/October, there's no rush to sign him to a contract when he can't even earn a spot in training camp.

So if some one signs a elc does mean the next three years are elc or there first three years in nhl are elc?

And if some one doesnt sign one in the summer after the draft what happens?

Thanks if some one can clear up :)

Or, the short answer that's been given a number of times on CDC, a player returning to junior can have their contract slide. Once they reach a certain age or they play pro for more than 9 games in a given season the contract no longer slides.

It'll essentially be three pro seasons though, rather than 3 calendar years.

Good thing we drafted Virtanen over guys who are just like that or worse.

Good thing teenagers can gain weight (and even get taller) as they get older. <_<

This is regular business. It seems in other camps a rookie breaks out and makes the team. I would like to see that from at least one of Vancouver's prospects this training camp. We'll see if the new regime lets youth come to fruition.

You don't know unless you sign them and get them to camp.

Good thing teenagers can gain weight (and even get taller) as they get older. <_<

Indeed. ie. Derp.

However, physical development trumps all advanced stats mumbo jumbo at this stage. My concern about McCann isn't all that high, but our expectations should also be tempered, as usual. We seem to think that we drafted yet another steal here yet again.

Guy has better tools than Horvat and as much as Kesler when he was a prospect so there's reason for optimism. He's going to develop even more, being on one of the top teams in the OHL as their number 1 center, that can do everything. Kyle Dubas loves the kid.

Speed, size, skill, two-way ability. Questions about his consistency about his offense, but always shot down by people saying that it's cause he's thinking about his defensive game at times. Hockey IQ was ranked one of the best in the draft. Doesn't get in the dirty areas enough, so it'll be nice if he can be more physical and get more involved, but it may come as he continues to add weight and strength. They don't compare him to Bergeron for no reason.

Indeed. ie. Derp.

However, physical development trumps all advanced stats mumbo jumbo at this stage. My concern about McCann isn't all that high, but our expectations should also be tempered, as usual. We seem to think that we drafted yet another steal here yet again.

"And the Vancouver Canucks draft Jared McCann"

TSN: "ouch. That is one hurting draft selection. Can't skate, can't score, can't defend to save his life. I really don't know what the Vancouver Canucks are doing on this one."

Benning: "yeah we didn't like McCann at all. There was really nothing left after him so we had to take him. He can't skate, can't score, can't defend to save his life. I would be extremely surprised if he ever made the team".

TSN: Jared, are you surprised you got drafter at all?"

McCann: "it is what is it. I can't skate, can't score, can't defend to save my life. I don't think il make the Canucks or any other team; ever."

Would that make you happier?

"And the Vancouver Canucks draft Jared McCann"

TSN: "ouch. That is one hurting draft selection. Can't skate, can't score, can't defend to save his life. I really don't know what the Vancouver Canucks are doing on this one."

Benning: "yeah we didn't like McCann at all. There was really nothing left after him so we had to take him. He can't skate, can't score, can't defend to save his life. I would be extremely surprised if he ever made the team".

TSN: Jared, are you surprised you got drafter at all?"

McCann: "it is what is it. I can't skate, can't score, can't defend to save my life. I don't think il make the Canucks or any other team; ever."

Would that make you happier?

... he's simply saying we need to temper our expectations since every player we pick is a "steal"

good .. lets hope this guy is for real . Gonna be a while before we find out

As with all prospects, Its a wait and see situation when it comes to if and or when they can play in the NHL and even more so if they can be impact players.

That being said, I have watched this kid play for my hometown Soo Greyhounds. Good puck sense, seemed to have an impact every shift. Was one of the reasons the team overacheived. Lots of buzz in town, lots of people wanted him drafted to their NHL team.

Archived