The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snet Pacific staff changes - Taylor & Cmac gone

I'm more sad that this is pretty much the last connection to CKVU's Sports Page. Don will still be on Team 1040. But Sports Page despite its low budget did a fantastic job covering sports before TSN and Sportsnet. Especially in an era before the internet.

I'm happy for Taylor. But if you think about it there's been a lot of shake ups in the media lately. I'm really nervous for Sportsnet taking over the NHL. So far they've been making such bad moves, I'm wishing TSN won the NHL rights.

Hadn't watched him consistently in years. And unfortunately, because tv is largely image as well, over the last 5 years he aged incredibly quickly and not very gracefully.

And to boot, his "material" was stale.

Hey can any of you guys tell me how I'm going to have to watch the Canucks this year being that I'm not in BC? I guess my take is a lot more of the games are available on CBC but do I still have to purchase center ice to watch the Sportsnet games because of blackout or do I have to purchase center ice to watch a fewer number of games?

I'm a little confused, I'm currently with Bell any help would be appreciated.

I'm more sad that this is pretty much the last connection to CKVU's Sports Page. Don will still be on Team 1040. But Sports Page despite its low budget did a fantastic job covering sports before TSN and Sportsnet. Especially in an era before the internet.

I'm happy for Taylor. But if you think about it there's been a lot of shake ups in the media lately. I'm really nervous for Sportsnet taking over the NHL. So far they've been making such bad moves, I'm wishing TSN won the NHL rights.

The Page was really ahead of it's time in terms of the sports format they introduced. Nobody in North America was doing sports the way Sports Page was doing it.

I mean c'mon, who could forget Yulin with the Page every Christmas? Was always must see TV for me.

From the two moves it seems quite obvious that Sportsnet is done with its Vancouver studio. From a common sense perspective, you don't fire the bureau chief and let the contract run out for the lead host of the flagship program on SN pacific for no reason.

Having said that, would anyone be shocked if Don Taylor or CMAC show up on one of the 8 TSN channels in the near future? Seems like an obvious move to be made.

I agree. With Taylor going it really seems like good, local tv sports coverage is going to be lacking here in Vancouver, which is amazing considering the huge fan interest in the Canucks and local sports. Ghostsof1915 said it best; the Page, on a meager budget, did a way better job covering local sports compared to these big conglomerates. I keep hoping it would come back, and maybe that time will come soon if fans keep yearning for local coverage. I loved their Christmas episodes, and some of the fun they would have with athletes. Linden was game for some fun stuff. I think if anyone other than Taylor benefits, it is team1040. Taylor and BMAC are a solid combo; strong knowledge of local sports, great chemistry, and a fun sense of humor.

I don't know who they will replace Taylor with, but Donny and Gary brought such a nice familiarity and local quality to their show.

The had a great knowledge of the team's history and Gary(being a former NHL player), had great insight,

Really not interested in watching some dudes from the east analyzing our team and making uninformed comments.

Really too bad their letting him go.

Would you prefer Dave Randorf?

To Cybulski? Yup.

I have to say though, selfishly I like the move. I love Don Taylor and I HATE Sportsnet, especially Mark Spector and his anti-Vancouver bias. It's not a Canuck thing, that jerk just hates Vancouver and Vancouverites in general. He should not be in the position he is in, Walter Cronkite rolls in his grave every time Spector reports any news west of Alberta.

Archived