The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

awkward confession #80:

on a date once, in 2012, 2 years removed from an abusive friendship, when my confidence was ****, it was chilly out and the friendo observed the coldness of the weather, to which i thought it would be a great idea to quip, "I know (name), i can't control the weather." and she just stared at me as i bundled up my jacket and nodded at her. i never heard from her again after that. i still practice that attitude today, btw. i'm awkward af

• Like 2
On 2/16/2019 at 10:57 PM, brilac said:

So Today, I had enough of the skinny jeans!  I wore them yesterday, and they were tight all day, all day long! So I had enough, and went out and bought 2 pairs of jeans I can breathe in.  I can finally breathe!  I had a stylist tell me months ago that I was wearing my jeans and tops too big, and I was very open to it, and had them dress me, so we picked out jeans smaller than what I usually wear and smaller tops. And yesterday, I thought to myself, while wearing tight jeans, that yeah, this size would fit me comfortable if they were regular jeans... 

I too just bought a more relaxed cut of jean.   Not that I would be caught dead in skinnies but still.  

Qualifier:  nobody wants a 42 year old man in skinny jeans.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

That’s awesome.  I hear you there.  Not squats but the run and bike.  Definitely has changed the fit.  It can be challenging to find in style jeans for an athletic fit at a reasonable cost.

Scrap all your jeans and just wear unitards.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

My love for squatting is making my choice of jean fit change.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

That’s awesome.  I hear you there.  Not squats but the run and bike.  Definitely has changed the fit.  It can be challenging to find in style jeans for an athletic fit at a reasonable cost.

I love squats, especially front squats. BUT, I was not a fan of being unable to wear boot cut jeans, while swimming in the waist, because of sooper-dooper awesome quads.

Biking was the solution for me...my quads lost size, and only a marginal amount of strength. My slacks fit again, and the back squat only lost 30lbs

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Ya totally lol.

i mean I’m a jeans and tee shirt old guy.  vans shoes.

not quite ready for khakis and hush puppies yet.

I live in Sweat pants and XXL soccer jerseys.  Used to wear the tight jeans and tight (white) T-shirts, but the cops pulled me over last week, and gave me a back alley beating.  (Which I deserved, of course.) 

• Haha 1
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:38 AM, Twilight Sparkle said:

awkward confession #80:

on a date once, in 2012, 2 years removed from an abusive friendship, when my confidence was ****, it was chilly out and the friendo observed the coldness of the weather, to which i thought it would be a great idea to quip, "I know (name), i can't control the weather." and she just stared at me as i bundled up my jacket and nodded at her. i never heard from her again after that. i still practice that attitude today, btw. i'm awkward af

Once apon a time, I invited a lady to a staff Christmas party. I noticed nobody was drinking the white wine, and rather than taking that as a warning sign, I decided to drink most of it my self. What a way to impress a first, and last  date.:blush::picard:

P.s. I have not touched wine since. Some lessons you only have to learn once.

I wear jogging pants from Oct-Mar.  I got them at Wal-Mart and a female friend kept bringing them up and asking where I got them.  I still don't know what the big deal is, something to do with the bottom of the legs.  She and her friends then went to Wal-Mart and bought a bunch.  Of course I don't wear anything underneath.... because of the sheer comfort.  Why is it ok for woman to showcase the goods and not me(n)?  I am bucking that trend in gigantic fashion. 

Edited by Tre Mac
2 hours ago, gurn said:

Once apon a time, I invited a lady to a staff Christmas party. I noticed nobody was drinking the white wine, and rather than taking that as a warning sign, I decided to drink most of it my self. What a way to impress a first, and last  date.:blush::picard:

P.s. I have not touched wine since. Some lessons you only have to learn once.

the last time i drank wine i was puking all over myself, cause i was like, how hard is this grape juice anyways? it was one of those "im never drinking again" moments XD

• Upvote 1

Next week I have to close one of the businesses I run. I have had to fire an entire staff (I have lost sleep, they're good people). Its an ownership/landlord lease dispute. 

I feel like a failure despite not having any real say in the final decision. I just don't lose and I am having a hard time accepting it.

I can't articulate my feeling, but in times like these lyrics often pop into my head and I didn't feel like necrobumping my Lyrics thread, so...

Sitting here like uninvited company
Wallowing in my own obscenities
I share a cigarette with negativity
Sitting here like wet ashes
With x's in my eyes and drawing flies

Bathed in perspiration drowned my enemies
Used my inspiration for a guillotine
I fire a loaded mental cannon to the page

Leaning on the pedestal that holds my self denial
Firing the pistol that shoots my holy pride
With x's in my eyes, and drawing flies

I'll say hey, what you yelling 
About, conditions, permission, mirrored self affliction
Hey, what you yellin' about sadist's
Co-addiction, perfect analogies
Hey, what you yellin' about conditions
Permission mirrored self affliction

Sitting here like wet ashes with x's in my eyes
And drawing flies (flies)

Share a cigarette with negativity

• Cheers 1
3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Next week I have to close one of the businesses I run. I have had to fire an entire staff (I have lost sleep, they're good people). Its an ownership/landlord lease dispute. 

I feel like a failure despite not having any real say in the final decision. I just don't lose and I am having a hard time accepting it.

I can't articulate my feeling, but in times like these lyrics often pop into my head and I didn't feel like necrobumping my Lyrics thread, so...

I share a cigarette with negativity

Bathed in perspiration drowned my enemies
Used my inspiration for a guillotine
I fire a loaded mental cannon to the page

With x's in my eyes, and drawing flies

I'll say hey, what you yelling 
About, conditions, permission, mirrored self affliction
Hey, what you yellin' about sadist's
Co-addiction, perfect analogies
Hey, what you yellin' about conditions
Permission mirrored self affliction

Sitting here like wet ashes with x's in my eyes
And drawing flies (flies)

Share a cigarette with negativity

That really sucks.

You know, recently I fulfilled a lifelong dream to work in a school with autistic children.  I'd found my calling and loved it.  However, I'd learn over a short period of time that the "business" was failing...that the funding we received was not enough to sustain the school.  Mostly, it was some very bad decisions by the owner and his attempt to have his children "involved"...at least on the books.  

It was infuriating, as all the students were forced to leave the school rather abruptly ... some at very vulnerable stages in their lives.  We'd just started making progress....

Staff who were being let go were all blindsided...teachers in their golden years who hadn't seen it coming (but likely should have, as apparently it was a pattern of struggling).  But I got a new job and it's incredible...I've never been treated so well.

I had another boss who bought a business that was not presented as it was.  Was also failing, miserably, and it went down the tubes pretty fast.  He was investing his own money into it, but couldn't make it turn around quickly enough.  He was furious, as he fought with the previous owners who'd bilked him.  He'd actually left a six figure job to buy the business.

I've stayed in touch with him and he said it was the best thing that could have happened to him.  He was forced to sell his house, but had a summer home on a little island and bought a sailboat.  Unplugged and is just living more modestly but is happier than he's been for awhile.  He sends me diary type entries of his travels.

The takeaway is that everything happens for a reason and your staff will be challenged, but may end up exploring new paths that they wouldn't have if this didn't happen.  We can get comfortable and complacent in this life.  Sometimes being thrust into a struggle has us rise up and be even better than we were.

Don't beat yourself up too badly...at least you have a conscience about it all.  Something my former boss was seriously lacking - no sense of accountability, responsibility or apology.  Just "poor me", even though he created the situation and had the power to change it. 

Take care.  They'll be ok.

• Thanks 1

i feel your discomfort, but whenever life has kicked me in the teeth, i take comfort in knowing, that over 80% of the people in the world, would gladly trade their lives and problems with any of ours in a heartbeat. it is kind of like, i used to complain, i had no shoes until i met a man who had no feet. it is not about how bad things get, but how we handle and overcome them. good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1