The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is grit necessary from this team?

stanleycanucks

Was grit necessary for the 2010/2011 team? No

^^ Agree 1000%. Finally fans are beginning to get it. Can't win games consistently in this league on grit and "soul". We need skill and structure which Coach D has brought back to this club. So many people in this fan-base wish for this team to get younger, bigger and faster. Its not about how fast you get from point A to point B its about how efficiently you get there. We win games when this team plays possession hockey and Coach D can run 4 lines. We don't need young, inexperienced and physical players we need to keep being patient in developing our prospects and bringing in good groups of veteran players. This team has really high potential right now and they way Coach D is structuring things right now is reminiscent of AV, who took this club from being mediocre to a yearly powerhouse. Skill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Physicality any day of the week.

^^ Agree 1000%. Finally fans are beginning to get it. Can't win games consistently in this league on grit and "soul". We need skill and structure which Coach D has brought back to this club. So many people in this fan-base wish for this team to get younger, bigger and faster. Its not about how fast you get from point A to point B its about how efficiently you get there. We win games when this team plays possession hockey and Coach D can run 4 lines. We don't need young, inexperienced and physical players we need to keep being patient in developing our prospects and bringing in good groups of veteran players. This team has really high potential right now and they way Coach D is structuring things right now is reminiscent of AV, who took this club from being mediocre to a yearly powerhouse. Skill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Physicality any day of the week.

Uhmmm....................I think you need a balance of ALL and not one or the other.

IMO, the Canucks, to a man is and collectively are plenty gritty enough. What they aren't is heavy and physical.

As we saw vs. LA and the first period vs. the Ducks, when the opposing team plays an inspired physical game vs. the Canucks, the team's speed and quickness is neutralized rendering the Canucks ineffective. Good thing is, if the Canucks can play through the physicality and not let it affect their speed/skill game, they can take over the game as they did for extended periods of time against the Ducks in the second and third. It all depends on the mindset and willingness to play through the physicality which is hit and miss with the Canucks.

I wouldn't say the Canucks are intimidated by the California team's physicality, but I'm sure they realize that they have bring their absolute best speed and skill game when they swing through California, which is often tough to do especially when we're all but assured to be playing 3 games in 4 nights.

Goals prove things a lot more than fights. Standing up to your opponents by dropping the gloves will only get you so far. If you're working harder than the other team in general, the other team will be out-manned and no gloves would be needed at that point.

Fighting's a reaction. Working hard is an action. Kesler during that run was a good example of this. He didn't need to drop the gloves. He did however play to win and that work ethic is what got us to the final. It's just too bad that the injuries got the better of us in the end.

Plus four!

And here is also to Crazy 4 Nazzy that pointed out grit includes guys who will take a hit to make a play. Tanev, based on that, might be our grittiest player?

Maybe not. But it does make him worth his weight in gold. Also that he peels in to high speed mode, most any shift, to beat virtually every forward to every puck. Its how hard guys compete?

Measure that way, Burrows always scores high, and we have a very gritty team!

Watch how often 187 lb sisters actually win board battles against 220 lb bruisers and cannot be stripped of the puck. Dorsett is awesome! Hansen is equal parts Honey Badger and the leagues hardest working practice player. Stanton takes on guys 20 lbs his senior (and he's not even that good a fighter). Miller battles even if he lets in a goal (sorry fans, Lou got rattled).

Bieksa is off the charts! But still calm, cool, funny...

We're ok!

Team doesn't need grit. The team just needs to punish those teams that are trying to take advantage of using their size. If the PP does what it's suppose to and score, then those teams wouldn't take liberties. Hence we lost against Boston, we couldn't score on the PP. If the Canucks would have punished the Bruins for the liberties that they were taking, I don't think Boston would of kept doing it.

I'm more worried about a shut down line type of thing. Sure we can continue to hope our goalies play lights out all year. Our lack of a face off shut down guy has me a little, tiny tiny tiny bit, worried. Horvat might be that guy for us next year. Too young to be that guy this year and he's playing the 4th line.

Well, we really don't have shutdown line.

Hansen and Matthias would be a great 2/3 rds of a shut down line, but Matthias would have to embrace the role and not be thinking he should be a top 6 scoring center, I don't expect he will though and will be gone soon enough,

I'm up for trying Bo and Hansen together and seeing what they can do,

funny how they lost to the gritty Bruins then

And yet it wasn't because they were more gritty than us. Dirty, yes. After the whistle, yes. But we were the bigger team on average and actually out hit them that year in the playoffs.

Our inability to score goals, however, that was a problem.

IMO, the Canucks, to a man is and collectively are plenty gritty enough. What they aren't is heavy and physical.

As we saw vs. LA and the first period vs. the Ducks, when the opposing team plays an inspired physical game vs. the Canucks, the team's speed and quickness is neutralized rendering the Canucks ineffective. Good thing is, if the Canucks can play through the physicality and not let it affect their speed/skill game, they can take over the game as they did for extended periods of time against the Ducks in the second and third. It all depends on the mindset and willingness to play through the physicality which is hit and miss with the Canucks.

I wouldn't say the Canucks are intimidated by the California team's physicality, but I'm sure they realize that they have bring their absolute best speed and skill game when they swing through California, which is often tough to do especially when we're all but assured to be playing 3 games in 4 nights.

Agreed,....This years version of the Canucks seems more concerned with playing smart hockey with WD at the helm..Last year,under Torts,it seemed as though we were trying to match teams like the Kings in toughness and physicality which was a losing battle...Good thing that Benning recognized that we are a skill puck possession team.That is our primary strength.

Its still a work in progress...the California teams have quality players..Players that you could only really acquire through the draft..So lets hope that Horvat and Virtanen develop quickly.

Grit is required just to play hockey and the grittier the better for pro hockey so, yes the team needs more grit.

Getting the best mix of toughness and scoring prowess is not easily achieved, but the team has to be able to stand up for itself, preferably winning the game and the war.

While important, is not always all about scoring on the power play, or winning the game as an answer to violence/criminality.

In the playoffs, it is about the series, and a team that is behind in a game may resort to brutality attempting to gain advantages that carry over and help win the series.

And even if it is not the playoffs, for example when one team is far ahead, either side can decide it may be worth the punishment to intimidate and/or injure players.

The team needs to be able to respond in kind, not just on the scoreboard, in order to protect our players and to provide punishment and deterrence on their terms.

The team needs also to be able to initiate these types of activities, and trap the responders into taking the penalties and feeling the pain, taking the injuries and losing spirit.

I'd rather we have The Cup much, much more than moan about how some other team won it unfairly.

PS - I know there are limits, the Criminal Code comes to mind, and that everybody wants to be the good guy and wear the white hat. Just make sure we win The Cup before we put on the hats, ok?

Archived