The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Kellan Lain :: EDM Will Acton

Strombone1

We get the better player here, I mean, Acton has some NHL games under his belt and Lain has been a very marginal spare part in Utica this year. Last I looked I believe he had an assist in around ten games played. He's not knocking on the door anytime soon.

Should wind up helping Utica,

Maybe Benning liked Mitch Holmberg, the 'other guy' picked up in the trade. He's having a tough go in the ECHL but he did light up the WHL for 62 goals last year.

I like what Valk had to say about Horvat last night: Send him down and let him dominate and start for Team Canada at the juniors. He needs to learn how to be a 1st line star, not a 4th line player. Let his offense side develop more.

Odd trade.

I'm going to guess with Horvat, Gaunce, and McCaan in the pipe-line there is absolutely zero need for Lain. They can all do what he does, plus they have offensive upside where he apparently has zilch. Acton is a different type of player, He is a fireplug but he can score as well and is a bit creative. In the long run it could be a move to help the Comets as much as anything.

Trade shows how the C depth in the org, particularly with the younger players, made Lain expendable. Acton is 2 years older which looks better on the org chart but Acton has far more pro experience. If required he can come to a NHL roster more effectively. Lain's size was intriguing but Gaunce is a faster skater and weighs in at 210.

More depth that allows Benning to possibly move a bottom 6 in a deal for a 'd' man. The real issue with the Canucks is their 'd' core not their forwards.

We traded away a fringe AHL'er and got another one back in return. I'm not sure how you see Acton as a project, especially when he's already 27 years old. If anything, Lain was the project.

Oh, sorry if you never got me. I said Mitch Holmberg is the project and Acton is an extra forward we get ontop.

holmberg and fox scored 127 goals in chl last yr the more goal scorers we have in our farm team the better maybe we will get lucky and have one late bloomer show up in the league in2-3 yrs that is a 50 goal scorer heres hoping but shinkaruk virtanen fox holmberg is trending in right way if u ask me

Kinda wonder if Acton is replacing Hansen/Mattias (seems like a gritty forward mix between the 2). Maybe Benning is going after Myers while his stock is low?

Jensen, one of Hansen/Mattias and a pick for Myers?

It would have to be a first round pick.

That's what the Sabres seem to be after right now.

Shouldn't be surprised by the reaction here but it is still mind boggling. How people expect every trade to be a blockbuster. How they also think an AHL extra piece should have returned a bonafied NHLer. And then on the opposite end, some think Will frickin Acton is going to replace a starting 12 forward in Vancouver! Perhaps he's a better player than Sestito sure. So to is O'reilly, Jeffrey, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier and possibly others. You need to look at the roles these guys play, not just skill set. Sestito is the 13th forward for a reason; no one else exceeds his size and toughness.

This was a depth for depth swap, plain and simple. We get a more seasoned guy with proven defensive ability in the AHL, Edmonton gets a younger guy with a more enticing physical package. To expect him to have a more prominent role in Van's system than he had in Edm's is ludicrous. This move makes Utica better, and I believe that was the whole point.

I guess if we can't win a stanley cup (IF!!!!!!!!!!!!) atleast we have a calder cup ;)

But in all seriousness, I feel like this trade shored up some weaknesses in utica, but with everything that has gone on in the offseason with Trader Jim, I guess I was expecting a bigger splash.

You're probably right, but it is a curious move unless Acton can replace someone on the big teams bottom 6 and save some cap space differential in a trade for a D-man?

Acton's a left shot but if he can play wing, I could even see him replacing Hansen if he's packaged for a D-man saving $1.8 million in cap space. Afton's the same size as Hansen, a great skater, great on face offs and is a skilled penalty killer that plays with an edge and has character.

I'm a big Hansen fan so I hope I'm wrong, but he's still one of the most likely parts to be moved in a trade for a D-man.

Wow...if this Acton character is such a great skater and great on the face offs, why is he plying his trade on a cellar-dweller's farm team? A little liberal with the greatness of Will Acton don't you think?

Like many have said, this is a move to shore up the Comets.

IMO Acton fits the direction of the canucks more than Lain does, two way forward that is defensively sound and can kill penatlies. Obviously Benning saw something in him in the pre-season games against Edmonton. That being said, He'll spend his time in Utica for the most part.

Archived