The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benning will "look at" dealing either Lack or Markstrom

There definitely needs to be a deal. Miller has three years. This year, he is the starter. Next year he may split it. By the final one I suspect him & his contract will be trade bait. Lack is great but by the time Miller is gone he will be old.

I suspect Miller will be rented out in his final season. Demko is the goalie of the future. It's up to management whether they want Lack or Markstrom to be first.

I would love to ship put Kassian & Markstrom for E. Kane+.

They have no choice but to move either Miller, Lack or Markstrom before the start of next season.

Miller - Not going anywhere unless he really falls apart

Lack - Good solid backup with starter upside

Markstrom - If we've restored his development track, he has the ability to be a starter and possibly franchise goalie in this league. Not saying that he will ever achieve that level, but the core capability is there.

There is no way that Lack or Markstrom will clear waivers at the start of next season, one of them will be moved, but I don't think that will happen until the summer. I think Benning likes his odds of going deep in the AHL playoffs with the tandem we have in Utica.

Winnipeg doesnt need a goalie, Hutchinson has played well and surprisingly Pavelec has had a bouce back season. Winnipeg is interested in Hansen,higgins richardson from us. They want to unload 1 of 9 nhl D they have and maybe a pick. I would rather keep our D we have i want a clear upgrade on the back end, Postma doesnt seem to be that guy. Lack to Nashville, Washington, nYI, Columbus etc is what i could see. trrade the more valuable asset, Markstrom value has sky rocketed from ahl numbers this year. He has done that before, teams wont pay alot for him until he can show he can play and be a good NHL goalie so why settle for a lesser return on him? Hes younger than lack, fits better for us going forward

Aren't many teams who need a goalie. The only team I could think of who needs Lack would be Philadelphia. They have some good young forwards. I would want Sean Couturier but I have no idea what else would have to go with Lack maybe Higgins or Burrows. I don't know what else we could offer them. He is the player from Philadelphia I would want most.

After reading all through this thread, Lack & Higgins to Strong Island for one of their (many, it seems) young D is most appealing.

I hadn't looked at their depth chart since the Luongo trade rumours era a couple years back - I see Pulock's name being tossed around, but if he's out of reach, what about Pelech? I confess I don't know much about him, but I chuckled when I got to this bit at the bottom of his profile:

Talent Analysis

Pelech, the nephew of former Canucks' GM Mike Gillis, projects as a solid depth defenseman who knows his limits and plays within himself. However, his offensive numbers increased every season in junior hockey so there may be more to his game in that department. He moves the puck up the ice well and is dependable in his own zone.

Future

Pelech attended training camp with the Islanders before beginning his first pro season with AHL affiliate Bridgeport in 2014-15. One of six Sound Tigers' defensemen in their first full year of pro hockey, he should benefit from competing for ice time on a nightly basis. Like the other Islanders' defense prospects such Ryan Pulock and Griffin Reinhart among others, Pelech seems to have substantial upside and projects to being a full-time NHL defensemen one day.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/adam-pelech/

Depends on return. If equal than Lack goes he is older and Markstrom has more potential.

But if Markstrom can net you a good young d-man who is 25 or under and is getting a better return than Lack you pull the trigger.

Also would seriously consider dealing Kassian based on the return coming back.

Other potential trade bait is Richardson, Higgins, or Weber.

Save giving up anymore prospects and draft picks and only entertain trading young players like Markstrom and Kassian if there is a blue chip young d-man coming back as part of the deal.

Report: Canucks impressed with Markstrom's development, pull him off trade market

Eddie Lack may be the odd man out in Vancouver.

With the Canucks reportedly open to considering offers for one of their depth goaltenders, Pierre LeBrun of ESPN reports the club is impressed enough with Jacob Markstrom's development at the AHL level to pull him off the trade market.

LeBrun writes:

The Canucks were open to trading Markstrom earlier this season, but word is now they've decided to keep him given how impressive his development has been this season.

Markstrom, who turns 25 on Saturday, has a 1.92 goals-against average and a .934 save percentage in 18 games this season. There are some in the Canucks organization who believe he could be the next Ben Bishop in terms of being a late bloomer.

While comparisons to a 2013 Vezina Trophy finalist may be premature, it could mean that general manager Jim Benning would consider trading Lack, with a view to installing Markstrom as Ryan Miller's backup sooner than later.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/689515

"Late bloomer" is probably an overstatement if you're talking about Markstrom, i wouldn't call him that. Just because he hasn't cracked the NHL full time yet, at the age of 24. Wasn't too long ago that he was considered the best goalie prospect not playing in the NHL, "a sure bet of being a future franchise goaltender". He's got his whole career ahead of him. He always had the potential to be an NHL-goalie, and even more than that. He was considered one of the SELs best goaltenders, perhaps even the best, at the age of 19, and he's been really good plenty of seasons in the AHL. He just had some really tough, high expectations, when he came to a struggling organization like Florida as a 20 year old. He had some real tough burden to handle there, and people expected him to step in and be their number 1 pretty much right away.

Would be a huge move to trade Lack and after Miller's gone, rest on an entirely unproven (at the NHL level) Markstrom. We'd have to get a top-4 defenceman back somehow because this defence in front of Markstrom in 2 years time is asking for a disaster.

There are always veteran goaltenders around looking for work.

Would be a huge move to trade Lack and after Miller's gone, rest on an entirely unproven (at the NHL level) Markstrom. We'd have to get a top-4 defenceman back somehow because this defence in front of Markstrom in 2 years time is asking for a disaster.

erm..., Miller's here for 3 years. We'll probably know more about Markstrom by that time.

Archived