The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) [Mckenzie]Evander Kane Trade Possiblilities

Nessnuck27

Great post.

It's good to have fan that supports another team other than the Canucks on this board. It's really great to see your perspective from a Jets fan standpoint about this Kane situation.

I have one question, for you and other Jets fans directly, what kind of offer do you expect if Kane is traded, do you like the Kane situation, and are you okay with trading Kane for lets say, Jeff Skinner, or a decent package in return?

EDIT: For my second question, obviously it's a dumb question by asking "do you like the Kane situation".

So lemme re-phrase that. Do you see Kane as a locker room cancer, and that he doesn't give a damn about his team? Do you see that in him and would you be fine having him around for the next core of players alongside such as Morrissey, Trouba, Ehlers, etc?

The overall sentiment in Winnipeg is that we want him gone. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Again, and I'll keep stating this anytime I talk about Winnipeg so people know I'm impartial, but I'm just as much (if not more) a fan of the Canucks as I am the Jets. While I am much more excited about the Jets future as I am the Canucks, I have my front row seats beside the visitors penalty box for the Jets vs the Canucks this year; and my wife and I will be there in our Canucks jerseys. So I look at this from both perspectives.

The Canucks are the LAST team I want the Jets to trade Kane to, and not because I fear what he can do against the team in the future. While he's incredibly responsible on the ice and works his tail off, his offensive talent is limited greatly. We've seen over the years that the guy doesn't create chances for other players on the team, and he's incredibly predictable offensively. He can't stick handle (i.e. deke) around players, and he ONLY shoots, never deking when given the opportunity to go one-on-one against a goalie. Everyone knows his MO. Again, his two way play is great, terrific actually. But the fact that he doesn't make others around him better and is predictable offensively is very frustrating.

And then added to this is the fact that all his teammates hate him, and this is not something that is unwarranted either. For any of us that have played hockey competitively, we have all been around players that are either not liked or just act like knobs. You can put up with that, to a point; and it is usually put up with if the guy produces. And by produces, I would say the guy would have to be clear cut the best player on your team. Kane is not, nor will he every be the best player on your team. And if he is, then even then attitude issues are damaging. I mean, look at the Leafs with Kessel.

I've had the added "benefit" being a Jets fan of also being a Canucks fan and having gone through this dog and pony show with Luongo. So I just want him gone. The huge positive in this scenario though is that Kane doesn't have a NTC, he is much longer, and his contract isn't a disaster for other teams to take on.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't answer your "trading Kane for Skinner or another package" question.

Absolutely. I've said all along that it would be in the Jets best interest to trade Kane out East. They won't be improving a Western team who they are competing with long term by trading Kane to them. That's just GM 101. If you can avoid that, do. The Jets have the benefit of being able to trade with 16 teams out East, if they so choose.

The Hurricanes makes a lot of sense, at least from my standpoint, and I'm no GM. Skinner is having some issues, and the Jets need immediate help with Kane gone. As for the Canes, their season is all but lost and by removing Skinner immediately and have Kane sit out for surgery, will only help improve their odds of getting a superb draft pick. Seems to help both teams. If the Canes feel as though the Jets would need to add a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick in return, to makeup for his behavior issues, that's a pick worth giving up.

This makes the most sense for the Jets going forward, especially because there is talk of the Jets possibly letting Frolik walk in the off-season, as he may be asking for north of $5M, which the Jets would not be willing to do, as it would significantly drive Andrew Ladd's pricetag up to re-sign him to a LT contract in the off-season.

I wouldn't give up Sestito for Kane.

He's not going to change without significant psychiatric treatment - which he would have to agree too. And he won't. Cause he thinks he's fine being a trash teammate and human being. The Canucks just dumped one of those for a bag of pucks (Kesler). They don't need another one who costs $5.2M for the significant future.

It's pretty unreal that Benning is looking to acquire another one of these guys. After offloading Seguin in Boston for a bag of pucks, Kesler in Van for a bag of pucks- he now wants to being one of these type to his hometown? LOLOLOL. Cause the Sedins and Linden are such strong leaders they will change him. Lolol. How did that work for Kesler? Both Linden and Sedins played with and came up with this guy - and he was still a turd teammate.

Kane ain't gonna change.

All the second and third line players in the world are NOT going to get Kane! They want a good roster player (Hansen, Kassian), a first rate prospect (Horvat, Vertanen, maybe McCain or Jenson) and a 1st rounder pick or you will NOT get him. Sheesh

In case you missed it, here you go

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-evander-kane-and-jets-going-separate-ways/

Prior to the announcement of Kane’s surgery, Johnston surveyed several NHL scouts and the consensus is one top asset could be all that’s required to land the winger. TSN’s Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun reported the Jets were listening to inquiries for Kane.

I'd try to build something around some of Kass/ Sbisa/ Hansen. The Jets were said to want tweener wingers and excluding Chiarot and their left-side depth D-men are not as strong as their righties (http://jetsnation.ca/2015/2/3/report-jets-open-to-moving-depth-defender-in-pursuit-of-top-9-forward) so maybe we can do Hansen, Sbisa, 2016 2nd for Kane and depth lefty D-man?

I'm on the fence with this trade possibility. I think Kane is very talented and could be a consistent 30 goal scorer with the right team, but he needs to grow up a lot. Horvat is head and shoulders more mature than Kane is, and he's 4 years younger. This could be a high risk/high reward kind of deal for the Canucks down the road if they went after Kane, but the fickle Canucks fan base won't put up with an overpaid player who disrupts the locker room. If that goes south, and we end up trading a key prospect (eg. Virtanen +), we may (we will) live to regret that. I sure don't miss the drama with Lu and Kesler over the years, the Canucks finally have quality team players and do not need more distractions from another primadonna. But if Benning somehow gets Kane from the Jets for say...Kassian, Higgins and Jensen, then I'd go for it. The Jets get a good prospect, and young big player with a lot of potential and a veteran player with a touch of grit and speed - without giving anything up this year.

What I find interesting is some Jets fans are saying they would love to make a deal with Kane, to get Skinner from the Canes. Why would they want to do that? Skinner is a talent, but he's small and has a history of concussions. He'd be a Welly 2.0

I think Evander could be a great fit in Vancouver... But, he is a risky player to add to any team. The asking price in Winnipeg will have to match this. I'd be more more apt to let somebody else take a chance on him. Carolina with Skinner could be a great partner because Skinner is a risky pick up as well... he is one big hit away from the end of his career.

I'd offer Kassian, Hansen, Jensen. And I'm a Kassian fan that believes he has not reached his potential.

Considering Chev has never actually done a player trade, I'm thinking the following two things are going to happen.

1. He's going to insist on getting a ridiculous return for Kane

2. When #1 doesn't happen, he's going to try and welcome Kane back next year, pretend nothing happened and then hide under his desk in case the sky actually does fall on him

Don't underestimate the chances of Kane being back in Winnipeg next Sept!

When your teammates through your equipment into the shower because they don't like you, it means your gone. He wont be back next year

Not arguing that at all.

Benning making this trade signals his belief in our inability to make the playoffs this year.

But people are forgetting the cap regardless in the fact that next season we have Kanes $5+ million on our books.

They are also forgetting that the Jets don't have the services of Kane because of that injury. Jets wanting to make the playoffs opens some interesting issues in regards to value.

Kane doesn't nor should he have the value that Chevy and some people on this forum give him.

40 points three times. Never broken 60 points. Only 1 single 30 goal season. Hasn't even broken the 20 goal plateau since his big year. Attitude issues, possible locker room issues.

The perceived value based on his "potential" is ridiculous. He's been in the league 6 years and hasn't shown anything close to that 1 single season. Jason Blake comes to mind. IN fact while he may have been a bit older he's a very apt comparison in regards to points.

The amount people offer and Chevy wants is unrealistic. I wouldn't give half the value of Kesler and I think a roster player or two in Hansen/Higgins plus one of Jensen or Shinkaruk and a 2nd or 3rd round pick is more than adequate and fair value for that risk

I agree with your assessment of Kane, but other teams will overpay for him, just watch.. and honestly, if they do, they can have him.

What I find interesting is some Jets fans are saying they would love to make a deal with Kane, to get Skinner from the Canes. Why would they want to do that? Skinner is a talent, but he's small and has a history of concussions. He'd be a Welly 2.0

It's because he's clearly in need of a change of scenery and has more success on the ice than Higgins or Kassian. Yes he's had injuries, but the Jets aren't going to be able to get a proven player in return without some strings attached. Also, Skinner being small is overblown, as he's 5'11", 200 lbs. He's about the right size for a winger in the NHL.

But more importantly, he'd be coming to a team that can shelter him. For those not familiar with the Jets, Canucks fans at least got a taste of them last week when they saw how much the team out hit the Canucks. This happens on a consistent basis, whoever the Jets face. Skinner would be giving more room, as the Jets have a lot of players to stand up for Skinner.

The overall sentiment in Winnipeg is that we want him gone. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Again, and I'll keep stating this anytime I talk about Winnipeg so people know I'm impartial, but I'm just as much (if not more) a fan of the Canucks as I am the Jets. While I am much more excited about the Jets future as I am the Canucks, I have my front row seats beside the visitors penalty box for the Jets vs the Canucks this year; and my wife and I will be there in our Canucks jerseys. So I look at this from both perspectives.

The Canucks are the LAST team I want the Jets to trade Kane to, and not because I fear what he can do against the team in the future. While he's incredibly responsible on the ice and works his tail off, his offensive talent is limited greatly. We've seen over the years that the guy doesn't create chances for other players on the team, and he's incredibly predictable offensively. He can't stick handle (i.e. deke) around players, and he ONLY shoots, never deking when given the opportunity to go one-on-one against a goalie. Everyone knows his MO. Again, his two way play is great, terrific actually. But the fact that he doesn't make others around him better and is predictable offensively is very frustrating.

And then added to this is the fact that all his teammates hate him, and this is not something that is unwarranted either. For any of us that have played hockey competitively, we have all been around players that are either not liked or just act like knobs. You can put up with that, to a point; and it is usually put up with if the guy produces. And by produces, I would say the guy would have to be clear cut the best player on your team. Kane is not, nor will he every be the best player on your team. And if he is, then even then attitude issues are damaging. I mean, look at the Leafs with Kessel.

I've had the added "benefit" being a Jets fan of also being a Canucks fan and having gone through this dog and pony show with Luongo. So I just want him gone. The huge positive in this scenario though is that Kane doesn't have a NTC, he is much longer, and his contract isn't a disaster for other teams to take on.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't answer your "trading Kane for Skinner or another package" question.

Absolutely. I've said all along that it would be in the Jets best interest to trade Kane out East. They won't be improving a Western team who they are competing with long term by trading Kane to them. That's just GM 101. If you can avoid that, do. The Jets have the benefit of being able to trade with 16 teams out East, if they so choose.

The Hurricanes makes a lot of sense, at least from my standpoint, and I'm no GM. Skinner is having some issues, and the Jets need immediate help with Kane gone. As for the Canes, their season is all but lost and by removing Skinner immediately and have Kane sit out for surgery, will only help improve their odds of getting a superb draft pick. Seems to help both teams. If the Canes feel as though the Jets would need to add a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick in return, to makeup for his behavior issues, that's a pick worth giving up.

This makes the most sense for the Jets going forward, especially because there is talk of the Jets possibly letting Frolik walk in the off-season, as he may be asking for north of $5M, which the Jets would not be willing to do, as it would significantly drive Andrew Ladd's pricetag up to re-sign him to a LT contract in the off-season.

Thanks for your input. :)

When your teammates through your equipment into the shower because they don't like you, it means your gone. He wont be back next year

I think it was the big Buff that threw Kane's equipment? It doesn't matter, the way you said it, it's great.

If Bobby Ryan got an A- prospect, 1st rounder at the time considered to be in the 14-24 range and a B- prospect after having 4 30 goal season in what 5 seasons? Kane should not even be close. One 30 goal season, attuide, inconsistent and showing a decline of play already and also is injury prone. Hmmm Jets would be lucky to get 40% of the Ryan package.

B- prospect, roster player and perhaps a draft pick(not 1st)

First off, last sentence is ridiculous. What does that say about Dustin Byfuglien then. The racism in Winnipeg, which is real, is directed (unfortunately) towards the Native community, not other races. There's a huge Filipino community as well, but there has been no reported racism there. It all stems from the gangs in downtown Winnipeg; which again, is the Native community. I'm not justifying or saying the racism isn't there, but it is again (and unfortunately) on one particular sector of the population.

As for the city of Winnipeg, his attitude problems have nothing to do with the city of Winnipeg. While I agree he probably does not enjoy it, there was an very interesting discussion with several reporters on TSN 1290 earlier this week who said that not liking a city has nothing to do with how a player acts in a dressing room or on the road with your teammates. This latest run in with his teammates happened in Vancouver, it didn't happen in Winnipeg with him trashing the city or talking bad about the city.

The guy has had attitude issues going back to junior. He had locker room issues with teammates in Atlanta as well. And now it is being rumored that teams are going to try and speak with his teammates in Russia during the lockout, for which he got booted off the team, to see how he was in the dressing room there.

While I will be the first person to agree that Winnipeg is an incredibly unsexy place to live, Kane's behavioral issues are in the dressing room, which have been documented at great length, going back to him in junior. I'd be very, very careful labeling someone's childish and immature behavioral issues only being because he doesn't like the city he plays in.

Thank you, I was just about to say the exact same thing: total assumption and a ridiculous one.

Yeah to add: Buff didn't pioneer these actions to a teammate when a situation like this arises, this is common across many leagues, what isn't very common is Kane's reaction.

I highly doubt we can get Kane without giving up a top prospect...our only top prospects (Horvat, Virtanen and maybe McCann). I don't think Shinkaruk and Jensen are top prospects, although they do have top 6 potential. Gaunce's future is probably a good third line center.

We need to remember that Henrik Sedin is getting older and won't be a number 1 center for the rest of his career, before we consider trading our prospects who play Center. I am confident Horvat can be a very good number 2 center with a very strong two way game (kesler without the grit) but not sure he would be a number 1 C (not sure the same goes for McCann and Cassels) that is why I am a bit puzzled when seeing people list Bonino as a trade chip...he isn't a legit number 2 center but I think with better wingers he can fill in that role.

In the future, I see Gaunce as our third line Center, and Horvat as our number 2 center (that's with henrik sedin still being a capable number 1 C), but when henrik hits that age where he can't do it anymore, not sure who will take that role.

Not a chance I trade Horvat or Virtanen for Kane...but I would include one of (McCann, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Cassels, Gaunce, etc), a first rounder and a roster player

I think if Kane can change his attitude he can be at the very least a very good top 6 forward, which is what we need.

The Jets GM hardly ever makes trades,so I see this going on forever (much like the Rick Nash sweepstakes a few years back)...I don't think that JB will part with Bo or Jake,but the Jets will certainly be asking for a pick,a prospect and a roster player..IMO.

The prospect would most likely be McCann (who is playing well,and is a JB pet project),our 1st round pick,and a roster player..Personally,I think other teams can offer a lot more than we can...

Hmmmm $5+ million in cap?

Where do you start.

Well Higgins and or Hansen JUST to even out the cap and give them the vets they need to be competitive. Then you also have to think of a solid prospect. Hmmm Shinkaruk? Nah. They will NEED a player like Jensen just to be able to put him in the line up in the next season or so. Then you consider the pick. 2nd in 2016? Sure why not.

So you end up doing.

Higgins and or Hansen, Shinkaruk/Jensen and a 2nd round pick and Chevy laughs all the way to the bank knowing the Canucks STILL have to jettison some cap space all while managing to re-sign players like Tanev.

Now. Is Kane worth that after 1 single 30 goal season and no 20 goal seasons since? Is he worth it knowing he's never played 65 games since his contract was signed?

You want Kane the local golden boy on the team for some unknown reason yayyyyyyyy.....but is it worth it

That was a problem before he went on IR and decided to have surgery. Now it's not, as we can easily use LTI to allow us to exceed the cap. We'd be able to bring him in without any issue as well considering existing LTI for Bieksa, the question would really be on next year.

I can't believe your a regular making that comment..... Horvat is a starter now! virtanen isn't. Horvat has been a starter for a while now....

I can't believe you didn't understand that was a comment about whether or not they'd be included in a deal - as in any return Winnipeg wants that involves Horvat or Virtanen is a non-starter.

My only concern with Kane, is his injury problems. We might be trading our future for a guy who is very injury prone eg Marian Gaborik. This trade can end up haunting us for longer, furthermore, so far, I'm enjoying our prospects progress. Sure loads of you predict Mcann is going to be a 2nd line guy, but I see different. The reason is Mcanns, "hockey IQ" and his lethal "shot" might be what surprises us in the future.

Archived