The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian teams are the least desired teams to get traded to.

HC20.0

Interesting article from TSN here:

"The Edmonton Oilers are the most common team on players' no-trade lists around the NHL, followed closely by the Winnipeg Jets and Toronto Maple Leafs.

According to ESPN.com's Craig Custance, who spoke to agents of NHL players, there are a myriad of factors working against these clubs when it comes to attracting players.

From losing, to climate, to media, and in many cases a combination of all three and more, these places become completely undesirable to an athlete.

"I can tell you, it's pretty much automatic that Edmonton and Winnipeg are the first two names anyone comes up with," one agent told Custance. "Winnipeg is at least winning a little bit. Edmonton is a complete nightmare."

"I hate to say it, but it's the Canadian teams," another agent said. "Vancouver would be the most desirable out of those teams. There's Winnipeg and Edmonton, Toronto because of all the bad media and Montreal. Either you love it or hate it."

The Oilers (2006) and the Leafs (2013) have made the playoffs just once each since the lockout of 2005 and the Jets have yet to be in the post-season since their return to the league in 2011."

You know, it's pretty interesting to note that Canada is the least desirable place for players to play. Vancouver apparently is desirable, which is good for us, but everywhere else on the other hand... I understand nobody wanting to go to Edmonton, Ottawa, and Toronto because of what gong shows those organizations are, but Winnipeg is surprising. It's cold for sure, but they have one of the best fan bases in the league, and they're a young team hitting their stride. I guess Canadian stars want to play in warmer climates and bigger cities.

Article link: http://www.tsn.ca/report-oilers-jets-top-no-trade-lists-1.210362

I wonder why?

Toronto= Biggest jokes in the league.

Calgary= Middle of the pack team.

Edmonton= Rebuilding their current damn rebuild.

Ottawa= They lost their groove and probably won't be contenders for a few years.

Vancouver= You suck, you sit. Pretty simple. No remorse for mankind.

Montreal= Sucking and swallowing in English and French.

Winnipeg= Ruthless of fans you'll ever meet.

I wonder why?

Toronto= Biggest jokes in the league.

Calgary= Middle of the pack team.

Edmonton= Rebuilding their current damn rebuild.

Ottawa= They lost their groove and probably won't be contenders for a few years.

Vancouver= You suck, you sit. Pretty simple. No remorse for mankind.

Montreal= Sucking and swallowing in English and French.

Winnipeg= Ruthless of fans you'll ever meet.

LOL...

Only reason Winnipeg makes sense as to why players wouldn't want to go there is because of the weather. The Jets are gonna be a good team for a long time.

It's also called "Murderpeg" for a reason. The Jets are scrounging for a playoff spot right now too, so I don't know how you can pencil them in as "gonna be a good team for a long time". Also, there ain't a lot to do in Winnipeg, especially as an NHL player with the entire town breathing down your neck. Say what you want about his character, but there's a reason Kane wanted out of Winnipeg, and there is a reason they don't attract a lot of FAs.

It's also called "Murderpeg" for a reason. The Jets are scrounging for a playoff spot right now too, so I don't know how you can pencil them in as "gonna be a good team for a long time". Also, there ain't a lot to do in Winnipeg, especially as an NHL player with the entire town breathing down your neck. Say what you want about his character, but there's a reason Kane wanted out of Winnipeg, and there is a reason they don't attract a lot of FAs.

Winnipeg's got a pretty damn good prospect pool. Not to mention the guys already on their roster with Scheifele, Trouba, and now Myers.

Winnipeg's got a pretty damn good prospect pool. Not to mention the guys already on their roster with Scheifele, Trouba, and now Myers.

So did Edmonton. I'm not saying Winnipeg is going to be terrible, I just don't know how you can say they're going to be good for a long time.

Yes, but I'm assuming that aboriginals are over-represented, especially murders involving women victims (it's about 80 percent aboriginal, but yet they make up a much smaller amount of the total population).

I think Winnipeg has the "cold" (weather) and "boring" labels, which deters players from coming.

Yes, but I'm assuming that aboriginals are over-represented, especially murders involving women victims (it's about 80 percent aboriginal, but yet they make up a much smaller amount of the total population).

I think Winnipeg has the "cold" (weather) and "boring" labels, which deters players from coming.

The point being, there is more to deter players from coming to Winnipeg than it being cold. There are a lot of cold cities out there that don't really have that issue, especially considering a lot of players come from places that are pretty damn chilly themselves.

The only way for cities like Winnipeg or Edmonton to start attracting big name FAs is to start winning, and start winning consistently. Look at Detroit. Detroit is widely considered one of the worst places to live in North America (I know there are nice parts, every city has its good and bad parts, my point still stands). However, the organization is so well run and has such a good history of success that players overlook that and want to come play there. Winnipeg and Edmonton don't have that, and also aren't topping anyone's "most livable cities" list, so its hard for them to break that vicious cycle.

I grew up in Winnipeg (Fort Richmond)...it's a great place to be from. There's nothing to do but drink and play hockey in the winter time. And the only international flights out of YWG is to Minneapolis-St. Paul, Denver and charters to sunspots (including Vegas), so it's a tough place to escape from.

I lived in Toronto (York Mills)...the DVP is lovingly termed the Death Valley Parkway by the locals and if you like salt on your shoes and suit pants all winter, that's the place to be (except they have an awesome underground that connects most of downtown).

I lived in Montreal (Ile des Soeurs)...it doesn't snow until early/mid December, but after the first snowfall, you're locked under 4' of snow til March. You have to carry a shovel and chains in the trunk of your car.

I lived in Calgary...it can be -30 on Wednesday and +20 on Thursday. And that's in June. Even worse in the winter. But Lake Louise and Sunshine is nearby...if you like to ski in -25 weather (spring skiing is nice, though).

I visited Edmonton in mid-December. The sun doesn't rise until 9AM and it sets at 3:00PM. Dark.

I visited Ottawa many times...a really nice city, and Hull/Gatineau is right across the river, so you're not far from the "joie de vivre" that Quebec has to offer...but cold...brrrrrrr.

I've lived in Vancouver since 2005 (used to live in Yaletown, now in White Rock)...greatest metro center in Canada. I can see why Vancouver is a destination spot for NHL players and their families.

I don't understand the hate on a certain city when your from a small town and get that big town feel.What boggles my mind is that your really only in that town mabye one hundred days a year then your gone for another hundred. Then in the off season you can go where ever you want its not like u can afford a plane ticket when your making one million plus a year.

Huh. Interesting I guess. What's to hate about Vancouver compared to an American team? Big hockey market, lots of fun things to do in the city and surrounding natural landscapes, pretty good weather and not a failing team.

Anyways, this really makes me appreciate the Sedins and Bieksa, they love this community.

Also shows how important it is to build up prospects that will genuinely want to play here.

I don't understand the hate on a certain city when your from a small town and get that big town feel.What boggles my mind is that your really only in that town mabye one hundred days a year then your gone for another hundred. Then in the off season you can go where ever you want its not like u can afford a plane ticket when your making one million plus a year.

Not wanting to play somewhere is not "hating on it"

First of all a LOT of players aren't from small towns, they're from Toronto or Vancouver or Calgary or Minneapolis or whatever.

Second, its not that they have any particular dislike for that city, but there are a bunch of other teams they could sign with that might appeal to them MORE.

Huh. Interesting I guess. What's to hate about Vancouver compared to an American team? Big hockey market, lots of fun things to do in the city and surrounding natural landscapes, pretty good weather and not a failing team.

Anyways, this really makes me appreciate the Sedins and Bieksa, they love this community.

Also shows how important it is to build up prospects that will genuinely want to play here.

For starters, not a lot of people want an entire city breathing down their neck when they step outside.

Archived