The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Line-Up After the Trade Deadline

JamesB

OK, the trade deadline has passed with no moves that affect the current playing roster.

Also, many players are close to being healthy. Corrado is healthy (and in Utica), and Tanev, Edler, Richardson, and Burrows all appear close.

I am going to assume that Miller and Bieksa remain out for a while. (Yes, Bieksa is skating but, with a hand injury, why not?)

So what does the line-up look like with those guys back. (I realize there have been many line-up posts, but after the trade deadline is a natural time to take stock.)

This is my line-up:

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Matthias, Bonino, Vrbata

Kenins, Horvat, Hansen

Higgins, Richardson, Dorsett

Edler, Tanev

Hammer, Weber (?)

Sbisa, Clendenning (?)

Extras: Kassian, Vey, Stanton

Comments:

1. Let's call the Horvat line the third line. On the basis of minutes played, points scored, role (a lot of shutdown time) it obviously is. And it would be crazy to break it up.

2. I don't see a spot for Kassian or Vey. Both have been decent lately, although, frankly, Kassian was not good defensively last night against St. Louis. But he is trying and was credited with 4 hits (I think).

3. Willie will play Sbisa ahead of Stanton. Kind of ironic given that Stanton has the best plus/minus on the team (+12) and Sbisa has the worst (-8). That stat is of course misleading in this case as Stanton almost never plays against the other teams' top forwards, but Sbisa has earned his negative +/-. He still makes me nervous every time he touches the puck in his own end although I admit his physical play does help the team. I would prefer to have Stanton playing instead, but Willie is very patient with Sbisa. Possibly Weber or Clendenning comes out and Stanton stays in.

4. It seems weird to have Weber in the top 4, but he has played well, especially with Hamhuis. And Hammer has been great with Edler and Tanev out. Hammer has, in my view, held the D together.

5. The team can of course carry extra players beyond the 23 man limit now, so we might see other guys slotting in.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Matthias - Bonino - Vrbata

Higgins - Richardson - Burrows

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett Vey

Would be my forward pairings

Makes sense, but I wouldn't scratch Dorsett. He brings energy only Kassian and Kenins have.

Be interesting to also assemble a likely Comets' lineup.

Shinkaruk-COR-Baertschi

Conacher-Gaunce-Jensen

Zalewski-Acton-Grenier

Hamilton-Friesen-Bancks

DeFazio/Kennedy

Sanguinetti-Andersson

Pedan-Blain

Biega-Huskins

Ehrhardt

Eriksson

Nagle/Cannata

Archived