The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Sharks

-Vintage Canuck-

True but then what luck did Markstrom get? None. These things have a habit of evening themselves out. We deserved our luck to-night, we gave them 2 of a start and clawed our way back with 3 goals, 2 of them outstanding AND we lost a D in the 3rd.

Exactly. People who downplay wins because of lucky bounces have to realize that teams endure losses as a result of bad bounces as well. (The Arizona game is a good example, IMO)

These things have a way of evening out over an 82 game schedule and I don't see this win as less legitimate than any other.

Just curious: Do you ever post anything else, or are all 366 of your posts exactly the same?

Incredible game... Extremely high tempo and definitely playoff atmosphere.

It was a must win and the team showed resilience.

Vrbata saving that puck from the goal line was just something else.

**Boudrias**

God help us if the Sharks get good goaltending. They're skaters are still good.

This should be a cautionary tale for the Canucks in the future. What does adequate goaltending do for a team that is good but not great? It is placing the Sharks out of the play offs.

So we have to be very careful anointing Eddie Lack as the #1 based on a couple of games. He still has the tendency to let in a softie at the wrong time. And let's be clear. All goalies let in softies but they need to be mentally dialed in especially at key moments in the game.

What was Niemi thinking on the Horvat goal? Was he going to poke check or was he just trying to make himself smaller? It was a mental error at the wrong time and it cost the Sharks the game.

The good news is that clearly Jim Benning understands all this which is why he signed Miller.

This is a Shark's fan view of not signing Vrbata in the off season:

this is why you dont ****ing pass up on a great reasonably priced talent like vrbata. christ can you imagine if we had him with thornton and pavelski. ****

He was reasonably priced as he took a discount to come to Vanc to play with the Sedins.....he would have asked for double to go to the Sharks

Who has been better?Id say hes the best. That was the biggest win this franchise has had in over two years.

Players I would give consideration for a top 3 best UFA signings of the summer of 2014 are (no specific order):

Radim Vrbata

Ryan Miller

Willie Mitchell

Jonas Hiller

Christian Erhoff

Mike Ribeiro

Jarome Iginla

When factoring in the size and term of contract, production and what the player has meant to the team, I would say my top 3 are:

(1) Radim Vrbata; (2) Mike Ribeiro; (3) Any one of the others.

Pains me to put Ribeiro at no. 2 because he's such a sketchy character off the ice, but you can't argue 54 points for $1.04M cap hit.

Miller vs. Hiller? They has very similar GAA/SV PCT., with Miller being $1.5M more expensive. Miller has more wins and was being touted as team MVP before he went down. This is a tough call, though I think a Hiller-Lack tandem would have been as effective as a Miller-Lack tandem.

IMO, Vrbata is the best goal scorer the Canucks have had since Markus Naslund. Imagine the kind of numbers the Sedins and Vrbata would have posted if they were playing together from 2008 to 2012.

Great come back...and they shut the door in the third.

However, I noticed the Sedins have good shifts and then some god awful shifts.

They need to lessen the god awful shifts.

That was some serious five man trapping Willie employed in the third.

Loved the way the d-men stepped up to break up passes and forced the Sharks forwards between our blue line and the center line knowing our forwards had the space behind them. Oddly, when your team is employing an effective trap while defending a one goal lead isn't as boring to watch as it is when it's NJ, ARZ or NSH doing the same to us when we're trying to come back.

No kidding... good work JB.

That's a decent comparison considering how strong vrbata is on the puck as well as being a decent 2 way player, just lacking in a bit of size he is like a Hossa-light. I did not realize just how good he was too.

He has 7 more goals then hossa this year :)

It definitely feels good to be the beneficiary of some really bad luck which seems to be more often this year than last. We probably didn't deserve this game and likely would have lost if it weren't for Marleau's uncharacteristic gaff, the quick whistle, and some of the bounces. There could have also been more calls on either side which would have helped the Sharks more.

Our defense can be really good at times but is still susceptible to multiple breakdowns and collapses. Some of the guys have stepped up but can't wait until Tanev gets back to give us a rock solid number one pairing again. It's great that we have been getting the job done more often than not even without some of our top guys but we've got to play stronger consistently if we want to secure a playoff spot down the stretch and make some noise in the playoffs.

I don't think we played much better than we did in the previous games but the positives are more noticeable:

Horvat is a stud. Vrbata really gives our offense a more dynamic look. Sedins continue to produce and help drive our momentum. Lack can be so awesome; just hope he stays consistent. Most of the forwards like Bonino, Burrows, Hansen, Dorsett, and Matthias (Kenins and Higgins too when they're in) contribute in different ways even if they don't get on the scoreboard, which is crucial for these type of games. The only ones that don't quite fit in are Kassian and Vey. Gotta hope they develop into better all-around players next year.

Anyways a win is a win. A big regulation one too. This looks like it will be one of the most intriguing final stretches in quite a few years.

Canucks Sunday practice

Jeff Paterson@patersonjeff 6m6 minutes ago

Tanev and Richardson both out on ice with #Canucks for Sunday practice.

Jeff Paterson@patersonjeff 3m3 minutes ago

No Bonino, Higgins, Weber or Bieksa at #Canucks practice

No surprise on Weber. That looked like a shoulder. (Hopefully it's bruised and not separated) Didn't see what happened to Bones, though...

...anyone?

A few points from the game last night:

1) In my opinion Lack stole us two points. What this kid has been able to do with an AHL defense in front of him has been nothing short of spectacular for a back-up goalie. Having Edler back seemed to help (key shot blocks), and things will only get better when Tanev and Bieksa return.

2) WD needs to open the doors a bit wider for Bo Horvat. The kid is the combination of youth and confidence we haven't seen in a long time. He's a stud in the FO circle, plays great defensively, has a high motor, and has some serious offensive skills. He seems to get better every game and I would like to see him play a bigger role.

3) I'm mind boggled as to how Linden Vey keeps getting all this ice time. He's a defensive liability and a turnover machine in the neutral zone with limited offensive presence.

4) We really need a PP qb with a hard enough shot to keep the oppositions PK worried. Our power play seems to heavily rely on the Sedins and without the worry of a threat from the point teams can contain them easier. I can't think of anyone on the roster atm to fill that void and that worries me down the stretch.

No surprise on Weber. That looked like a shoulder. (Hopefully it's bruised and not separated) Didn't see what happened to Bones, though...

...anyone?

Bones missed last practise too. He's just banged up in general. Guessing another Maintenance day.

Vancouver Canucks@canuckspress 13m13 minutes ago

#Canucks Wire: Lines at today's practice: 22-33-9 27-21-17 51-7-14 41-53-36 (15) 23-8 2-5 26-18 (44) http://playerpress.com

Wait... Second line center?? Glad he didn't get picked up on waivers. Terrific free addition by JB.

**Boudrias**

God help us if the Sharks get good goaltending. They're skaters are still good.

This should be a cautionary tale for the Canucks in the future. What does adequate goaltending do for a team that is good but not great? It is placing the Sharks out of the play offs.

So we have to be very careful anointing Eddie Lack as the #1 based on a couple of games. He still has the tendency to let in a softie at the wrong time. And let's be clear. All goalies let in softies but they need to be mentally dialed in especially at key moments in the game.

What was Niemi thinking on the Horvat goal? Was he going to poke check or was he just trying to make himself smaller? It was a mental error at the wrong time and it cost the Sharks the game.

The good news is that clearly Jim Benning understands all this which is why he signed Miller.

Niemi got outclassed. Bo came in with major intimidation factor. Can't blame Niemi for a perfect play by a superior athlete.

JB deserves another shout-out! So many subtle, unheralded moves(by CDC standards, at least) that have paid dividends.

I don't question the Kenins/McM selection yesterday by WD..Maybe the kid was a little banged up, but sitting at times will keep him fresh & motivated. Also McMillan is gonna give everything he has, playing for his childhood favs.

Really hope Weber's ok. Don't want to lose that depth, & he deserves more opportunities with the play he's provided(with team in serious need).

Archived