The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks have a better chance than you think...

Seriously, I see all of this sky is falling crap on the boards this season... So I decided to take a look at the cold, hard facts.

Against, the Western Conference, the Canucks are .500 or more against 7 teams.

- San Jose

- Edmonton

- Calgary

- St Louis

- Chicago

- Colorado

- Winnipeg

So, let's look at the teams they AREN'T .500 or more against.

- Anaheim

- Nashville

- Arizona

- Minnesota

- Dallas

- Los Angeles

Anaheim... We lost two very close hard fought games in shootouts. We still fought to get extra points out of two of those games. We have one win, and one regulation loss. A record of 1-1-2 isn't awful especially considering that the Canucks are EXTREMELY better in regulation play than in the shootout.

Nashville? They went on a hot streak this year and destroyed everyone in their path. Now, they're falling back to Earth. They're no longer the first overall team in the league or the West, going 2-7-1 in their last 10. We can easily come back from our 0-2 record and give them a fight to the bone in the playoffs.

Arizona is 1-1-1. A strong win at 7-1, and a tough loss at 5-0. I'd be a lot more worried about this if the Coyotes weren't tanking. No need to worry about them going into the playoffs.

Minnesota is peculiar. The games have been close as all get out, though 1-2, and our win came DURING the injury extravaganza the Canucks were dealt. During the regular season, the Minny home games tend to be these weird afternoon games... Don't have to deal with that in the playoffs. Pretty big toss-up, but a healthy Canucks team can butt heads with the Wild, without a doubt in my mind.

Dallas isn't a worry. They're 8 points out of 8th with Calgary having a game in hand. 0-2 against them... One game where Lehtonen stood on his head, and another where the Canucks lost the scoring race 6-3. Not some insurmountable barrier if they somehow match up against us in the playoffs.

Los Angeles is a sketchy situtation. The Canucks are 0-2 against them, with one close loss at 3-2 and one big loss at 5-1. While LA is currently in 9th, they're certainly the most likely team to be able to take over Calgary, and they're as dangerous as you can get when you match up with them in the playoffs. A rough, tough series. Would be up to Miller and the Sedins to lead the charge, but I believe that the big difference maker versus the 2012 series is that the Canucks finally have 4 lines that can contribute. They can take LA in 7 if they try their hardest, and worst case scenario the Canucks could beat them up to Hell and back for the next team. Revenge might be on their mind too...

Against the Eastern Conference, the Canucks are .500 or more against 14 teams.

- Montreal

- Detroit

- Boston

- Florida

- Ottawa

- Buffalo

- New York Islanders

- New York Rangers

- Pittsburgh

- Washington

- Philadelphia

- New Jersey

- Columbus

- Carolina

The teams that they AREN'T .500 or more against?

- Toronto

- Tampa Bay

Toronto isn't making the playoffs let alone the finals.

Tampa is dangerous. The Canucks have been outscored 8-3 this season by them, and Bishop has been crazy. They have phenomenal depth scoring and lots of star power offensively. 0-2 against them this year. If the Canucks want to stand a chance, strong defence and goaltending is the only way to beat them. However, 5 Eastern teams have a .500 or higher record against them this year, and at least 4 of them seem to be making the playoffs. They have just a long of a road ahead of them as Vancouver, coupled with an inexperienced roster.

tl;dr:

Canucks have played well against, and have .500 or higher records against 21 teams, with 13 of them being playoff contenders. Have faith!

I respect the fact that you backed up the team

spirit with statistical data but short of the Cinderella runs to end Cinderella runs, the Canucks aren't winning it this year.

Still, they do look like a team that could pull off an upset or two in the playoffs.

I respect the fact that you backed up the team

spirit with statistical data but short of the Cinderella runs to end Cinderella runs, the Canucks aren't winning it this year.

Still, they do look like a team that could pull off an upset or two in the playoffs.

I don't think they'll win the cup... But I also think they're going to fight tooth and nail to try and get there anyway.

I don't give them great odds against LA - but that would go for almost any team.

But if Calgary can hold on I would give the edge to Vancouver. And I think Anaheim is far from unbeatable. After that, whoever comes out of the Central will probably be black and blue...

It could happen. But I won't be too upset when it doesn't.

Seriously, I see all of this sky is falling crap on the boards this season... So I decided to take a look at the cold, hard facts.

Against, the Western Conference, the Canucks are .500 or more against 7 teams.

- San Jose

- Edmonton

- Calgary

- St Louis

- Chicago

- Colorado

- Winnipeg

So, let's look at the teams they AREN'T .500 or more against.

- Anaheim

- Nashville

- Arizona

- Minnesota

- Dallas

- Los Angeles

Anaheim... We lost two very close hard fought games in shootouts. We still fought to get extra points out of two of those games. We have one win, and one regulation loss. A record of 1-1-2 isn't awful especially considering that the Canucks are EXTREMELY better in regulation play than in the shootout.

Nashville? They went on a hot streak this year and destroyed everyone in their path. Now, they're falling back to Earth. They're no longer the first overall team in the league or the West, going 2-7-1 in their last 10. We can easily come back from our 0-2 record and give them a fight to the bone in the playoffs.

Arizona is 1-1-1. A strong win at 7-1, and a tough loss at 5-0. I'd be a lot more worried about this if the Coyotes weren't tanking. No need to worry about them going into the playoffs.

Minnesota is peculiar. The games have been close as all get out, though 1-2, and our win came DURING the injury extravaganza the Canucks were dealt. During the regular season, the Minny home games tend to be these weird afternoon games... Don't have to deal with that in the playoffs. Pretty big toss-up, but a healthy Canucks team can butt heads with the Wild, without a doubt in my mind.

Dallas isn't a worry. They're 8 points out of 8th with Calgary having a game in hand. 0-2 against them... One game where Lehtonen stood on his head, and another where the Canucks lost the scoring race 6-3. Not some insurmountable barrier if they somehow match up against us in the playoffs.

Los Angeles is a sketchy situtation. The Canucks are 0-2 against them, with one close loss at 3-2 and one big loss at 5-1. While LA is currently in 9th, they're certainly the most likely team to be able to take over Calgary, and they're as dangerous as you can get when you match up with them in the playoffs. A rough, tough series. Would be up to Miller and the Sedins to lead the charge, but I believe that the big difference maker versus the 2012 series is that the Canucks finally have 4 lines that can contribute. They can take LA in 7 if they try their hardest, and worst case scenario the Canucks could beat them up to Hell and back for the next team. Revenge might be on their mind too...

Against the Eastern Conference, the Canucks are .500 or more against 14 teams.

- Montreal

- Detroit

- Boston

- Florida

- Ottawa

- Buffalo

- New York Islanders

- New York Rangers

- Pittsburgh

- Washington

- Philadelphia

- New Jersey

- Columbus

- Carolina

The teams that they AREN'T .500 or more against?

- Toronto

- Tampa Bay

Toronto isn't making the playoffs let alone the finals.

Tampa is dangerous. The Canucks have been outscored 8-3 this season by them, and Bishop has been crazy. They have phenomenal depth scoring and lots of star power offensively. 0-2 against them this year. If the Canucks want to stand a chance, strong defence and goaltending is the only way to beat them. However, 5 Eastern teams have a .500 or higher record against them this year, and at least 4 of them seem to be making the playoffs. They have just a long of a road ahead of them as Vancouver, coupled with an inexperienced roster.

tl;dr:

Canucks have played well against, and have .500 or higher records against 21 teams, with 13 of them being playoff contenders. Have faith!

How did you get these numbers!? There're not correct...

For example... NY Rangers has 3 points vs us, and we got 2. That is not by any means a .500 or more for us!! (At least not in my book!)

So how many other teams have you miscalculated!?

Regarding your topic... don't think it's at all interesting to look at facts for teams which we aren't facing any more. We are still playing more games vs Anaheim and LA who owns us, or has done at least... perhaps that why people tend to hold their breath a little looking at the schedule and our own division. (Doesn't care about the east! We're not in a race vs them!)

Also... Miller's out, and there's obviously some questions regarding IF Eddie can keep it up. Facts are that we win a lot more games with Miller in the goal than with Lack. (% of played games.) Let's hope Eddie can step up and prove himself a no 1 goalie when needed :-)

^

Interestingly enough Eddie's and Miller's numbers are pretty close to even in GAA, with a .05 lead to Miller, and Save % with Lack holding a slight lead over Miller there. Not too worried about Goaltending even if Miller is out long. But with that said I would be more comfortable with Miller in net.

Moreso than individual records vs specific teams, it's an issue of whether a team is truly 'in form' & rolling. They should worry more about their level of play, instead of which team they face.

Sometimes you might also encounter an opponent missing key personnel.

This team has many varied elements, & seems adaptable to different kinds of opposition. Really feel this is one of their strengths, that's hard to measure, yet should be factored in.

Furthermore, they've(many key members) experienced the test of a lengthy PO run before.

& finally, they're no longer dealing with the expectations of being a league standings leader.

For example... NY Rangers has 3 points vs us, and we got 2. That is not by any means a .500 or more for us!! (At least not in my book!)

Regarding your topic... don't think it's at all interesting to look at facts for teams which we aren't facing any more. We are still playing more games vs Anaheim and LA who owns us, or has done at least... perhaps that why people tend to hold their breath a little looking at the schedule and our own division. (Doesn't care about the east! We're not in a race vs them!)

Also... Miller's out, and there's obviously some questions regarding IF Eddie can keep it up. Facts are that we win a lot more games with Miller in the goal than with Lack. (% of played games.) Let's hope Eddie can step up and prove himself a no 1 goalie when needed :-)

I think we're one and one vs Rangers?

The SJ game was another brutal night in the Van d-zone. Lack stole the game. Combine that with some very lucky bounces. I have been saying this is not a CUP contending team for the whole season. Had to bite my words at times as they have stood in the race better than I thought.

This stretch run is all about the younger players IMHO. It gives them valuable experience. It is also all about Lack establishing himself as a viable #1 which would let Benning trade Miller for a higher draft pick. Lack is on his way to claiming the #1 spot after a long enough apprenticeship.

We are 1-1-0 against the Rangers...we have gotten 2 out of a possible 4 points. In other words we have gotten 50% of the possible points, hence the .500 play against them, it really shouldn't be that hard to understand

The wildcard is that we are a developing team, and much of that development will take place in the playoffs, one never knows what may happen in these situations. We will learn alot by how we play down the stretch heading into the playoffs.

I think we're one and one vs Rangers?

And they're 1-0-1 against us. Therefore, they have the better record.

We are 1-1-0 against the Rangers...we have gotten 2 out of a possible 4 points. In other words we have gotten 50% of the possible points, hence the .500 play against them, it really shouldn't be that hard to understand

But they got 3 out of a possible 4 points. So while we technically are 0.500 against them, they're 0.750 against us.

Edit: How stupid does it sound that together, the Canucks and Rangers got 5 out of a possible 4 points in the season series? This is why there should either be no loser point, or 3 points for a win.

We have a better chance of what? Winning the Cup? I don't think so, but I admire your optimism.

At the start of the season, I thought we'd be a playoff bubble team, with a chance of winning maybe one playoff round, but also with a chance of finishing just out of the playoffs.

I haven't really seen anything to make me change my mind...

Edit: How stupid does it sound that together, the Canucks and Rangers got 5 out of a possible 4 points in the season series? This is why there should either be no loser point, or 3 points for a win.

5 out of a possible 6, really.

Hey, those records look good to me. But looking up and down our roster I don't think I see any difference makers in our lineup as far as the the playoffs are concerned aside from the Sedins, Kassian, Horvat and Kenins. The rest of the team are either too soft or play a north-south style that will get shut down easily come playoff time. Regular season means NOTHING other than determining home ice once you reach the post season.

Archived