The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks have a better chance than you think...

Huge win last night. It may very well have put the Canucks in the playoffs and the Sharks out.

When it comes to the Kings, I agree, that will be a huge test. I sincerely hope that Tanev at least is back by the time we play and hopefully Richardson as well. Otherwise, they're in tough.

Big picture, I like the development that I've seen so far this year. Painful as these injuries have been, we have had the opportunity to see some players that otherwise would have remained in Utica and also, some players have been asked to take on larger roles. At times some of these guys have looked shaky but they have improved as a result.

One round in the playoffs will be fine. Any more will be a bonus. It's all about development this year and next.

I can't judge this team anymore, some games they look like a compete team and some games they look like a non playoff team. You just don't know which team will show up? As for how the team does against other teams when it comes to the playoffs you can throw all those numbers away because it becomes anyones series. The good thing that would be different this year would be the fact that they're playing playoff hockey a month before the playoffs start.

What I've learned to do is not guess, project or speculate because ANYTHING can happen. Said it so many times: goaltender gets hot/cold, injuries/illness, etc.

We have a shot if we get there....if they apply what they've learned in the past and do it differently, drawing from that experience, anything can happen. We battled for the cup so some of these guys know what's involved in that. It's a no holds barred deal and I'd rather they play aggressively and go down swinging than passively to play 'fair/within the rules'. Battle like you're in the trenches and your life depends upon it.

And they're 1-0-1 against us. Therefore, they have the better record.

But they got 3 out of a possible 4 points. So while we technically are 0.500 against them, they're 0.750 against us.

Edit: How stupid does it sound that together, the Canucks and Rangers got 5 out of a possible 4 points in the season series? This is why there should either be no loser point, or 3 points for a win.

Doesnt matter if they have an extra-time loss against us; in the playoffs a win is a win. ( I understand that we beat them in a shootout, but my point still stands). The reason I say this is because the OP is taking our records against teams and trying to use them to show how good we'll do in the playoffs

If the Canucks have any hope in hell of advancing further than one round everything has to click. The offence has to stay consistent and the Sedins will have to be impact players, the defence will have to play outstanding every night, and of course goaltending. I just can't see the Canucks advancing far. Bigger, faster, younger teams will wear them down. We've seen flashes of hope this season but on the other hand we have seen this team lay an egg of numerous occasions and consistency has been their Achilles heal all year. Teams can't afford to take nights off in the playoffs let alone give up the first goal every night which seems to be a common theme with the Canucks.

If this team comes out ready to compete, it can compete against any team and the fans are going to be treated to some exciting playoffs games, win or lose. If they come out like they did against Arizona Coyotes...

With 17 games to go, for the Canucks to clinch a divisional spot in the Western Conference, its magic number is:

vs. the Flames: 16.5 games...Flames on a roll without Giordano. IMO, they're for real.

vs. the Kings: 15.0 games...I'd never count out the defending SC champs.

vs. the Sharks: 13.5 games...team that most resembles the Canucks with their effort -- up and down like a toilet seat.

The only way to assure itself that it can control it's own destiny is to win with consistency and conviction (...sorry for the obvious comment). They did that last night vs. the Sharks last night. Not so much vs. the 'yotes, Sharks, Sabres the previous three games because they didn't bother to show up.

If the Canucks put up a B+ effort and above for all remaining games, then yah, the team should make the playoffs. If they put up similar efforts like they did vs. the 'yotes, Sharks from last Monday and the Sabres, they'll be booking their tee times sooner than later. It's up to the core to lead the team down the stretch. The management and coaching staff seems to think they can do it...we'll see how it plays out.

IMO, the Canucks should make the playoffs as a divisional seed, so my money's on the core providing the leadership and example of effort down the stretch drive.

I don't think they'll win the cup... But I also think they're going to fight tooth and nail to try and get there anyway.

Prediction, should they make the playoffs, they bow out in round one in 5 or 6 games.

The reality with this group is we have an aging core who are to comfortable in where they are.

Proof: Every game since 2011 finals they come out flat, this year is exceptionally bad. Good leadership would have this grouo fired up.

Kenins, Bo and Matthias are the only 3 who come out fired up game in and game out. Sedins cycle right off the faceoff.

The changing of the guard will do this team wonders.

LA is the team that worries me the most. If we get past/avoid them, I suppose it's possible, though not very likely.

If we can somehow win 2/3 of those, perhaps we can keep them from overtaking Calgary. Basically a "beat them now so we don't have to later" situation.

Unless they pull an 8th seed oilers Cinderella run, the canucks don't compete against any top team this year. I'll be shocked if they make it out of the 1st - I'll eat my hard hat if they make it out of the 2nd.

The only 2 truly Cindarella teams to make a run to the finals in recent years were the Oilers and Flyers.

What did they have in common?

129544768.jpg

Guy was an absolute playoff beast.

I'm not ruling out a deep run for our guys. They've already surprised us by winning over a long stretch, even with up to 8 regulars out of the lineup. And they've shown a lot of character by gutting out wins against some tough teams. The injuries have been a blessing in disguise. The young guys have gotten some valuable experience while the injured vets coming back will be revitalized (after working off the rust). We will be able to play 4 very good lines again when healthy... something that is needed for a deep playoff run. I think we could be peaking at just the right time!

I don't think they'll win the cup... But I also think they're going to fight tooth and nail to try and get there anyway.

Nobody thought LA would win in 2012. They just happened to have a hot goalie and the deepest team. We have the deepest team, now we just need to get the goal tending at the right time.

The West is wide open, IMO the only real favourite isn't even in a playoff spot and everybody else has warts. Nashville and Anaheim are ripe for first round upsets.

If Winnipeg squeaks in, they might not win but they're going to pulverize whoever they face.

If LA squeaks in, they'll probably go on a run.

If Calgary gets in, they'll probably a least take it to 6 or 7.

If Chicago and St. Louis match up in the first round, I'd probably give the edge to Chicago but they'll be really beaten up.

Who knows? All it takes is one upset to completely change the playoff picture. ie '82

Archived