The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Avalanche @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

The problems the Canucks are having come down to the very basics of hockey.

1)

First touch in the D zone after a puck has been shot in.

When a defenseman does not have an opposing forward draped all over him, he has to make the first pass clean.

And his partner or a winger has to be in position to support him.

Right now, there are way too many first passes by Canuck defensemen which are not on the mark, or which go directly to the opposing team forecheck.

This is something which should be dealt with in practice... there is no excuse for it.

It is the root of the problem the Canucks are having... they miss the first pass or give it away, and then the opposing team sets up the cycle and with the smaller size of the Canuck D, they can't deal with it.

The book is out on the Canucks... Get in and forecheck and they'll turn it over.

2)

The second issue is the player jump in the D zone... right now there seems to be a real lack of jump on loose pucks... the Canucks as a team seem to be hesitating and waiting for someone else to pick up the loose puck. This is particularly the case with the forwards when there is a puck loose on the high boards... the only guy who has jump in the defensive zone is Higgins... yeah he gave away the puck this game, but that was extremely unusual, most of the time you see him jumping on loose pucks and taking them out of danger. That's why he has one of the best +/- of any forward on the team.

Willie really needs to have a talk with the forwards about getting on loose pucks, it is their responsibility to make the move to a puck on the high boards.

3)

Collapsing too deep to the net on even strength.

Right now, as soon as the opposition gets puck possession in the D zone, the team starts collapsing to the net like they are short-handed... this is not working. All it does is give the opposition more time and space, and makes it easy for them to replace on ice players with fresh ones, while the Canucks get more and more tired. Canucks need to be more aggressive as soon as the opposition team gets possession. They need to pick their man and get on him.

There is no one else though. Bieksa and Edler have zero puck sense, well Bieksa has more zero shot ability, which leaves .... ?

Tanev?

What about Sbisa he can shoot?

Sbisa can shoot harder and more acurate than Hamhuis. Hansen has an underrated slap shot, i'd like to see him in the point on the PP. Bieksa may not be having the best season, but he has put up numbers on the PP before. Tanev although offensively challenged, he's still a little more creative than Hamhuis is on the PP.

You know who we could use on the pp? Clendening and Corrado <_<

"Bottom line is we didn't play well enough and can't really point to why. I felt like we were ready. We weren't." - Lack

I think that's the classic fail of athletes. If you practice at 11:00 AM, then go home and lay in your bed while having a mental preparation session for 1.5 hours, then kiss your wife and go to the game you are ready. However if you've won 3 in a row and think can rely on you're good feeling and turn it on at the rink, while hoping you're good feeling teammates will help you win, a team like Colorado that had their butts severely hurt yesterday they will take the piss to you.

It's hard to manage grown adults that have regular lives. Sometimes they show up and sometimes they don't. Tonight too many guys took the night off. It was obvious we got dominated, no one wanted the gauntlet tonight during the day and as a result no one got it.

i am confused why a thread i started on the fact we are 2 7 and 1 in our last 10 thursday games was locked. based on being about a minor event in tonights games.

any big company studies trends in work days to see where performance in effected by scheduling.It was a insightful thread that had very little to do with events in tonights game.

I have been trying to be patient since his injury, but does anyone else think Hamhuis has been terrible? I would honestly rather Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Weber, Bieksa and even Corrado play than him.

Haha 250Integra exact same thought at exact same time

I'd sooner see Stanton in the line up ahead of Hamhuis right now. Someone in the organization needs to tell Hamhuis that he needs to go get his groin surgically repaired. It's obvious that there's something not right with him...he's clearly protecting his body every time he touches the puck.

Literally all we had to do was give an effort.

We were dominant after that 3rd goal.

But, we refuse to try in games. Not sure if it's lack of preparation by the coaching staff or the players, but it's disgusting.

That is a bad team with a bad goaltender.

Your not even on the team anymore shut up...

Let's not overreact here, it's just one game.

We all tend to over-react negatively after losses and positively after wins. But it is important to remember the amount of parity in the league. And Colorado is a fast team with a lot of talent. Speed seems to give the Canucks a lot of problems -- more than size.

So, yes, the Canucks had a bad game tonight, but the result is not too shocking. If they can come back with a couple more wins before taking a loss we cannot really complain.

Unfortunately, LA, Calgary and Winnipeg are all hot so each loss is big as far as the standings are concerned.

A 57 year old Stan Smyl and 44 year old Trevor Linden would've should more heart on ice tonight than the whole entire Canucks team combined.

Team has no heart, no identity, and no confidence/authority.

What a surprise. Another overreaction...

I guess a team with no heart, no identity and no confidence can beat Chicago,Anaheim,LA,St.louis,Winnipeg,San Jose, Pittsburgh, New York Islanders,Rangers and have 43 wins but there's no heart I guess........

i am confused why a thread i started on the fact we are 2 7 and 1 in our last 10 thursday games was locked. based on being about a minor event in tonights games.

any big company studies trends in work days to see where performance in effected by scheduling.It was a insightful thread that had very little to do with events in tonights game.

Because it was completely reactive based on tonight's game perhaps, and totally unjustified as a topic?

So are you saying showing up against good teams is bad? You cannot ever underestimate the "bad teams" you think there are no good players on bad teams? There are, and the fact is they are all human and do you think professional players aren't giving a 100% effort? It's a coincidence that we seem to keep on losing to bad teams, not that we don't give an effort. Go up to any professional player and tell then that they don't give an effort. It's not that the Canucks don't want to improve, it's that they had a bad game.

LOL of course I think showing up against good teams is good. That is exactly what I think. You're right you can not underestimate "bad teams" but the canucks do. Of course they are not actually "bad" teams they are in the NHL for Christ sake. It's just teams we should be jumping on that we have the potential to beating. Also you may think it may be a coincidence that we are not winning against teams below us and you may be right but if you look at our schedual we seem to have some sort of pattern that is a little bit concerning.

What a surprise. Another overreaction...

I guess a team with no heart, no identity and no confidence can beat Chicago,Anaheim,LA,St.louis,Winnipeg,San Jose, Pittsburgh, New York Islanders,Rangers and have 43 wins but there's no heart I guess........

And completely lose games that they should win? Im pissed? You bet I am, this is another game the Canucks need to start clamping down on...Good teams yeah have their moments and lose to weaker opposition, but this is a common trend that has to stop. If you watch its a pattern, show up a game or two and completely let themselves down the next. No consistency...because they don't know who they are as a team.

You tell me why that is becoming the common trend this year.

Doesn't matter how many wins or the teams you have beaten in the past, you focus on the game on hand presently going forward. Can't hang your hat and hopes on your past success, you celebrate that night and forget it because the next game writes its own story.

And completely lose games that they should win? Im pissed? You bet I am, this is another game the Canucks need to start clamping down on...Good teams yeah have their moments and lose to weaker opposition, but this is a common trend that has to stop. If you watch its a pattern, show up a game or two and completely let themselves down the next. No consistency...because they don't know who they are as a team.

You tell me why that is becoming the common trend this year.

Doesn't matter how many wins or the teams you have beaten in the past, you focus on the game on hand presently going forward. Can't hang your hat and hopes on your past success, you celebrate that night and forget it because the next game writes its own story.

It's time to stop this trend now, it's been happening for over 40 years now. Time for the team to wake up.

We all tend to over-react negatively after losses and positively after wins. But it is important to remember the amount of parity in the league. And Colorado is a fast team with a lot of talent. Speed seems to give the Canucks a lot of problems -- more than size.

So, yes, the Canucks had a bad game tonight, but the result is not too shocking. If they can come back with a couple more wins before taking a loss we cannot really complain.

Unfortunately, LA, Calgary and Winnipeg are all hot so each loss is big as far as the standings are concerned.

I agree with this completely. Of the 30 + plus seasons I've played now you wouldn't believe how many times you show up and play great or play poor for seemingly unknown reasons sometimes. You can't just beat your competition or otherwise they would never play sports. I hate losing but I hope they never get more easy to read. There is a million reasons teams win and you barely know any when you lose because that's the design. You don't tell a team how you beat them.

People really, really, really, oversimplify sports on this forum. Play a fast moving sport then cut down a team for not showing up. You have to remember NFL plays 16 games a year and in the hockey they play 82. So think about it.

Ok I got it. The Canucks purposely lose games like this as a way to better prepare themselves for the important ones to win..against the better teams. It works like a giant spring loaded machine. They crank down the effort levels to save their strength against teams with a losing record. They try to score, but try and get away with a defensive, hang back, wait for a mistake, kind of game. They treat these meetings as practices to better prepare themselves for the big boys on the block. Its looking ahead. Don't play hard enough to get anyone injured. They hope they can still win a few this way. ..so when they don't Bieksa still gets mad. These emotions are side benefits and put towards the next game....which is Dallas, so...maybe not, but whatever happens they'll just save it up for a huuuuuge blast to mow down the Blues and Predators back to back, then on through Chicago and Winnipeg. Put the fear of Johnny Canuck in em for the playoffs.

:canucks::frantic: Go Canucks Go :frantic::canucks:

This is kinda random but I just realized that if the canucks consistently took care of the weaker teams (NJ, Buf, Ari, etc.), we would probably be in the fight for the presidents trophy lol!

But then again so would a lot of teams. 99 points surely weren't given up against the next 7-9 worst teams were they?

Archived