The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Really impressed with the DEPTH of this team... HUGE for Playoffs

*Buzzsaw*

I just can't believe how DEEP this version of the Canucks is.

Maybe our Stars are not top of the league anymore, but the supporting cast is REALLY good.

The latest addition to the threats this team is able to ice... Baertschi. What a steal by Benning. :shock:

There are gonna be injuries in the playoffs, that is always a given... and that was what did in the Canucks in 2011... our guys were just too banged up when they got to the Bruins.

But this year's team has so many choices and backups that can slot into the lineup without a the slightest dropoff in skill level... IT'S AWESOME.

If we can get the goaltending I expect we'll get, there is no reason not to expect this team to go really deep.

I believe we will beat the Flames... there is just too much experience on this team.

The Sedins together have 195 games of experience. The whole Calgary Flames team together has 66 games of experience, all from Jiri Hudler...that is drastic.

Not the case. Though playoff experience is lacking, it's a lot more than 66 games played by just Jiri Hudler.

Hudler - 66 games, two cup appearances, one ring

Bollig - 24 games, one cup appearance, one ring

Colborne - 2 games

Jones - 10 games

Raymond - 55 games, one cup appearance

Stajan - 3 games

Diaz - 9 games

Engelland - 13 games

Wideman - 44 games

Hiller - 26 games

But back on topic...buzzsaw is right. The Canucks have a decent amount of depth. But every team that's made it in the WC have a lot of depth as well. The team with the least amount of depth, IMO, are the Flames.

The roster is deep that's for sure. WD will have a number of options heading into game 1, be that a skilled lineup with the likes of Baertschi/Vey or a banger lineup with Matthias/Kenins. It will be interesting to see what comes of the line combinations in practice, after all WD's post game was certainly vague.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Kenins Vey Dorsett

Matthias/Richardson/Kassian* all 'injured' currently

McMillan

Lack should start, and be given a reasonable opportunity. Even then we have some depth behind him with Miller and AHL all-star Markstrom.

The competition isn't even Calgary, it's getting into the lineup!

Maybe our Stars are not top of the league anymore, but the supporting cast is REALLY good.

The latest addition to the threats this team is able to ice... Baertschi. What a steal by Benning. :shock:

There are gonna be injuries in the playoffs, that is always a given... and that was what did in the Canucks in 2011... our guys were just too banged up when they got to the Bruins.

But this year's team has so many choices and backups that can slot into the lineup without a the slightest dropoff in skill level... IT'S AWESOME.

If we can get the goaltending I expect we'll get, there is no reason not to expect this team to go really deep.

I believe we will beat the Flames... there is just too much experience on this team.

Baertschi has 2 goals against Edmonton, lets wait a little longer before we judge him.

I'm pretty sure no one is replacing either Sedin or Vrbata if we lose them.

The depth on forward is very good and because of it, the Canucks need to play physical and wear the other team down.

They need to take the man...no fly byes or turn aways... bring the intimidation factor into every game.

One huge thing this year is WD has the Canucks playing playoff style hockey...they are going into the playoffs both mentally and physically prepared...not like the last two times where AV was fumbling with the lines and was very disorganized.

Their weak link is their D depth...if key guys go down, then it may be a repeat of 2011, where 4 of their "D" were out or hurt against the Bruins...this is one of the main reasons why they lost that series.

Baert. is motivated to play hard against his former team, the Flames...WD should utilize this burning desire to put out the Flames.

Having said this, the players who are playing need to focus on every single shift and bring it...guys like Bonino, Vey, Matthais, etc. need to use their strengths, play with an edge and play their best. The Sedins need to be the best players on the ice and as mentioned...Eddie Lack needs to win the Conne Smyth trophy, he needs to be their MVP.

Calgary has as much offense as Vancouver and are incredibly fast on the forecheck. Do not assume anything.

Defense: Is the Canuck's biggest weakness. They have a lot of playoff experience there so it might carry them through.

Offense: Van actually has more than one line with Vrbata taking pressure off the Twins. Combine that with Horvat's line chipping in. Their biggest weakness is FO % at 35-40%. It is a killer in playoff hockey. Sven B and Kennins are very interesting options. Sven's two goals last night should never have gone in but he has wheels and can throw a nice pass. Kennins on the otherhand should have had 2 goals last night. The season overwhelms him at times but that should be expected. Higgins and Bonino are serious wildcards. If they elevate play to match Vrbata they could carry a series with that line.

Lack: Eddie gets no where near enough love from fans IMHO. He plays lights out and the next day fans are 'ya but give Markstrom a try'. Miller looked more than rusty against Edmonton. Lack is the future and has the potential to steal a series. Van goal tending is stronger than Calgary's IMHO.

I am one who has to eat crow as I questioned this roster's ability to make playoffs. While all the playoff teams are solid I do think Van got the best opposition for a first round. Hopefully the Jets and Ducks kick the crap out of each other. If Van can get by the Flamers they are the likely 2nd Rounders.

Actually our stars are still top of the league.

Calgary has as much offense as Vancouver and are incredibly fast on the forecheck. Do not assume anything.

Obviously we shouldn't write them off entirely but they are very much a one line team. Hudler, Gaudreau and Monahan make up quite a bit more of Calgary's scoring than the Sedins do for us. And without Giordano, they're not looking too great for playoff hockey. We've seen what happens when the Canucks were a one line team going into the playoffs...

Also special teams will be a huge factor of this series. The Canucks were one of the top powerplay teams in the NHL for most of the season. They clawed their way up to 8th after sitting at 29th for quite a while. Our PK was top 3 for much of the season, falling off only when we lost Richardson, who it seems is coming back. We've got a lot of reasons to be excited!

Archived