The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 5 moves that reshape the our old, slow and tired team.

I think it's pretty obvious now our core from the 2011 cup run is getting old, slow and stale. List the players, in your opinion, should be let go to make us a better competing team next season. Provide the reasoning along with it.

Higgins - he's not doing his job. I can live with his linemate, Bonino, because at least Bonino skates hard and looks like he is into it every game. Higgins looks like he floats in some games.

Brandon Mcmillan - Don't know why he's here in the first place. Would rather play Sestito, at least he woulda challenged Ferland to a fight.

Bieksa - With Weber saying he's getting re-signed, our top 4 is pretty much set. Sbisa is our 5th, and we need some room to look at Corrado and Clendening. With his salary, playing as a 6th dman role does not make sense.

Miller - Lack's pretty much proven he is a NHL starter. He didn't steal us any games in the playoffs, but we did not lose any of those playoff games because of Lack. Lack is just 27 and he can be our #1 until some of our interesting prospects Markstrom and Demko becomes NHL ready. Trade Miller to San Jose or some team in need of making the playoffs and then sign a cheap backup option.

Sestito would of taken stupid penalties and he can't play hockey. McMillan was a depth player who will most likely not be here next year because of young guys in our system.

Bieksa is probably gone next season unless he takes a massive pay cut to fill possibly a top6/depth role.

We need 2 solid goalies going into next season so lets keep Miller. We kind of need 2 solid goalies. Also no market for 6M goalies. Better to trade him on his contract year where he is a lot easier to move.

I agree with us needing to move Higgins.

Vrbata could be gone this season as well. UFA that could get us a good return at the deadline.

I find this thread so utterly disrespectful to some fine servants of this club. Most of the players mentioned above have given blood to help us make the playoffs and yet they are cast away with alacrity. No wonder I have so little respect for so many "fans" on here.

I find this thread so utterly disrespectful to some fine servants of this club. Most of the players mentioned above have given blood to help us make the playoffs and yet they are cast away with alacrity. No wonder I have so little respect for so many "fans" on here.

You're right. It's kind of not right that we're doing this. But at the same time, this team wants to get younger. That's not going to happen with 30+ year old Higgins and his traveling buddies. Yeah, they've helped us. But we need to get players Kassian's age or younger on the team. This is just speculation as to who would become the victim of the youth movement.

I was feeling the same way when I was writing the post, especially when I was writing about Bieksa. But winning takes sacrifices. And we still haven't won our first Stanley Cup. Chicago dumped a lot of players after their 2010 cup win. Look at them, they are contenders every year. Holding on to aging non performing players because they "have given blood" is not the formula to winning.

I would try and move Miller. I didn't like his signing in the first place.

Sign a capable backup and make Eddie the starter. Use the saved Cap space to help in other areas.

That being said, I doubt there would be much chance of moving Miller's contract. I think we're probably stuck with him, unless he gets hot leading up to the trade deadline and one of the Cali teams loses their starter to injury.

BTW: Just my opinion, so take it FWIW, but I doubt that we'll see anywhere near as much "change" as most here are hoping for.

I also find it a bit ironic that so many here are cursing Gillis for "saddling" us with NTC's, when guys like Miller and Vrbata have them as well.

BTW: Just my opinion, so take it FWIW, but I doubt that we'll see anywhere near as much "change" as most here are hoping for.

I also find it a bit ironic that so many here are cursing Gillis for "saddling" us with NTC's, when guys like Miller and Vrbata have them as well.

Absolutely right Rup...Not sure where you stand as far as NTC, NMC's, but for me, I think if they are going to stay as common place as they have become, I think the NHL should follow in the NFL footsteps and have guaranteed money and allowing the club to cut or revisit contracts that aren't being lived up to.

So once the guaranteed money is paid out this becomes a possibility...seems too many players (not just Nucks) can hold a team hostage with the NTC/NMC type of contract.

First of all, let me preface this list by saying I don't WANT players let go, but I understand the need. That being said, players should only be let go if there is a suitable replacement who has shown they can play NHL hockey.

Higgins - Too much cap space, too little offence (though his D is good...maybe he'll switch positions!)

Matthias - Too streaky & he's gonna be expensive to sign

Kassian - Too injury prone, too streaky when he's healthy

Markstrom - Too good at AHL, too bad at NHL

Miller - Lack's pretty much proven he is a NHL starter. He didn't steal us any games in the playoffs, but we did not lose any of those playoff games because of Lack. Lack is just 27 and he can be our #1 until some of our interesting prospects Markstrom and Demko becomes NHL ready. Trade Miller to San Jose or some team in need of making the playoffs and then sign a cheap backup option.

So game 4 didnt happen?

Lack is very average, without miller or a 2b starter we will be a lottery team next year. 100% gaurenteed, regardless of how likeable Eddie is.

Trade away Lack over Miller... Lack has much more trade value to other teams being younger, and having more potential then Miller. Don't waste money on signing a backup, because that's exactly what Jacob Markstrom is, a backup. We've had such amazing backups in Vancouver the last 4 seasons, with Schneider and Lack, and we're not remembering what a backup truly is.

About your list... we should let Richardson, Matthias go via free-agency, as they should be replaced with some newer, younger prospects next year. (Virtanen, Shinkaruk, etc.)

Keeping Edler may also be a mistake, because he didn't have an outstanding season, and he'll be wanting a raise. Maybe trade eddie lack out to a team in need, such as SJ, BUF, EDM, CAR, ARI, DAL, or PHI, in return for a top 4 defender to replace Edler, or we hope that our defensive prospects step up to replace Edler and we can acquire a much needed top 6 sniper for Eddie Lack.

I think it's pretty obvious now our core from the 2011 cup run is getting old, slow and stale. List the players, in your opinion, should be let go to make us a better competing team next season. Provide the reasoning along with it.

Higgins - he's not doing his job. I can live with his linemate, Bonino, because at least Bonino skates hard and looks like he is into it every game. Higgins looks like he floats in some games.

Brandon Mcmillan - Don't know why he's here in the first place. Would rather play Sestito, at least he woulda challenged Ferland to a fight.

Bieksa - With Weber saying he's getting re-signed, our top 4 is pretty much set. Sbisa is our 5th, and we need some room to look at Corrado and Clendening. With his salary, playing as a 6th dman role does not make sense.

Lack - game 4 - 1st period - 3 goals on 7 shots.

Keep Miller.

Burrows for girardi? Are you kidding me. Burrows would catch a 3rd round draft pick at best. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Your kidding right, what do you think Chris Kunitz would net you because that is almost an exact type of player that Burrows is. In fact Burrows might be a better team guy.Kunitz gets you D.Girardi.

Archived