The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Robin Williams’ suicide abetted by moon?

Slegr

When my Mom was in palliative care the nurses reported that they have more deaths during full moons than any other time....that they anticipate and prepare for it.

You have to consider that the moon affects tides and gravitational pull...our bodies being comprised of mostly water are also subject to that, so it isn't too farfetched to make the connection. Yes, I am one of those crazies who looks beyond the simple "no" to consider possibilities.

Also, with depression sleepless nights are all too frequent...during a rough bout, the fact that the room is lit up could surely amplify the loneliness and emptiness of it all.

Don't be so close minded...all sorts of things can factor in to "why", although I'm reluctant to speculate on an individual basis as it is FAR too personal. Bottom line is that depression is much too complex for that and you can't really pinpoint why (someone has ended their life) beyond that. There is no real answer other than desperation and helplessness. Which is why it's so important to take someone's admission of depression seriously.

He's that hairy-headed gent

Who ran amuck in Kits

Lately he's been overheard in Ladner

Better not trade him

He'll rip your LUNGS out, Jim

HAA! Down at The Smilin' Bhudda

AaaHooo Kassquatch of 'Couver

AAAHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

edit: Sorry, 'Kask', not Sask. Yo, my lil' mugwamp...

Kassians been partying in Ladner?

Cool!

i bet you're the type of person who watches that crazy lady on global news that has her own friggin segment on horoscopes every sunday

Yep.

But I don't count on it as a reference, more that I like to compare notes to see how accurate it is and if anything aligns. Amusement.

The moon applies forces of gravity against the earth that influence entire oceans, I wouldn't be surprised if it could influence a person, but not in that way.

I really should have read ALL the comments before posting...see someone had it covered. But there were so many silly ones that I lost patience (suicide is no joke people).

I really should have read ALL the comments before posting...see someone had it covered. But there were so many silly ones that I lost patience (suicide is no joke people).

Just poking some fun. I mean I know the moon has a mega impact on the earth and humans but RW death was not solely because of a full moon. That is just ridiculous. Williams obviously had some sort of mental problem and as a result he took his own life. A mental problem like that grows over years until it reaches that point of suicide. A full moon does not. Sure there have been study's that a full moon may aggravate some more so than any other day but it's not the main cause. In fact, I'd say in the case of Williams it was minuscule.

When my Mom was in palliative care the nurses reported that they have more deaths during full moons than any other time....that they anticipate and prepare for it.

You have to consider that the moon affects tides and gravitational pull...our bodies being comprised of mostly water are also subject to that, so it isn't too farfetched to make the connection. Yes, I am one of those crazies who looks beyond the simple "no" to consider possibilities.

Also, with depression sleepless nights are all too frequent...during a rough bout, the fact that the room is lit up could surely amplify the loneliness and emptiness of it all.

Don't be so close minded...all sorts of things can factor in to "why", although I'm reluctant to speculate on an individual basis as it is FAR too personal. Bottom line is that depression is much too complex for that and you can't really pinpoint why (someone has ended their life) beyond that. There is no real answer other than desperation and helplessness. Which is why it's so important to take someone's admission of depression seriously.

I prefer science, empirical data and actual research over people's flawed perceptions.

In fact a host of studies over the years have aimed at teasing out any statistical connection between the moon — particularly the full moon — and human biology or behavior. The majority of sound studies find no connection, while some have proved inconclusive, and many that purported to reveal connections turned out to involve flawed methods or have never been reproduced.

Reliable studies comparing the lunar phases to births, heart attacks, deaths, suicides, violence, psychiatric hospital admissions and epileptic seizures, among other things, have over and over again found little or no connection.

http://www.livescience.com/7899-moon-myths-truth-lunar-effects.html

Archived