The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks give qualifying offers to Markstrom, Baertschi, Corrado, Clendenning

@NEWS1130Sports:

The #Canucks have done the expected and qualified the contract of goalie Jacob Markstrom.

@NEWS1130Sports:

Been told the #Canucks have qualified 3 more contracts - defenseman Adam Clendening, Frank Corrado and forward Sven Baertschi.

More and more likely Lack is the guy gone. Would expect 31st overall from Buffalo but if we were somehow able to get their 21st, would be outstanding.

Sign Markstrom 3 years 4 mil. He'll grow into it, am I right?

He might want a bridge contract. Wouldn't be surprised if he accepts the offer. Also wouldn't be surprised to see something like 1 or 2 years just under 1.5m per.

what also makes me intrigued is no word on whether we qualified Yannick Weber yet. Makes you wonder if his price is too high to swallow and maybe JB will swing a deal to get another pick using him.

I can't see our backend on the right side housing Tanev, Clendening, Corrado and Weber. Too soft of a group on the rightside. Tanev signed a new deal, Clendening is Bennings guy, JB loves Corrado. Weber seems like the odd man out.

what also makes me intrigued is no word on whether we qualified Yannick Weber yet. Makes you wonder if his price is too high to swallow and maybe JB will swing a deal to get another pick using him.

I can't see our backend on the right side housing Tanev, Clendening, Corrado and Weber. Too soft of a group on the rightside. Tanev signed a new deal, Clendening is Bennings guy, JB loves Corrado. Weber seems like the odd man out.

Not to mention that Weber was frickin' terrible in the playoffs.

Sbisa gets a lot of negative attention. But Yannick was even worse. When you can't even handle Johnny Hockey right in front of the net, you're too weak to be a regular D-man.

corrado has been playing left side too, lots of this season actually. gives some flexibility.

i see us carrying 7 D for the foreseeable future and rotating out

Hypothetically speaking, all 4 of these guys (Bear, Corrado, Clendening, and Markstrom) are here in the fall - who can and cannot be sent to Utica without having to clear?

No, not hypothetically speaking at all. All 4 are waiver eligible. So, barring trade, injury, or colossally disappointing camp, all 4 are part of the 2015-16 Canucks.

Not to mention that Weber was frickin' terrible in the playoffs.

Sbisa gets a lot of negative attention. But Yannick was even worse. When you can't even handle Johnny Hockey right in front of the net, you're too weak to be a regular D-man.

true, he was probably the worst dman in the series, lucky for him, Hamhuis was there beside him. Weber is good as a bottom pairing defenseman but even with Hamhuis on his pairing as a top four he's in over his head. Would much rather keep Stanton over him.

Don't see this having any real indication of who we are going to trade (though bets are still on Lack). If we didn't qualify Markstrom it would have resulted in us losing him for nothing.

Well that was a reasoned and well thought out post. I don't like it. I prefer unfounded speculation...

Hopefully they qualify Stanton. Was awesome the year before and this year with Clendening

Indeed, I thought he got the raw end of the straw sitting out the amount of games he did. I rather have saw him in the lineup than Sbisa. Stanton quietly does things well without much fuss or grumble. Hope he is brought back

corrado has been playing left side too, lots of this season actually. gives some flexibility.

i see us carrying 7 D for the foreseeable future and rotating out

Benning has already stated he wants to carry 8 dman for next season. I wouldn't mind him playing the left side but much prefer him playing his natural side. If we believe JB follows through with bringing in Bartkowski and deals Bieksa at the draft our depth chart looks kinda like this

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Weber

Sbisa-Clendening

Bartkowski-Corrado

That core looks softer than soft served ice cream. The trouble with our dman during the Calgary series and even through the regular season was the lack of physical presence on the backend. Not meaning fighting or bullying players but guys who can clear the crease, who will be willing to take the body instead of the crap stick check that all our guys subjected themselves to and even willingness to establish body to body contact along the boards etc.

With Weber, Corrado, and Clendening all within the same profile of job description one has to go. Weber most likely.

I had high hopes for Stanton after 2013-14, but he was mighty horrible this past season.

Still young enough to consider qualifying and keeping around for depth...but would not surprise me if they just let him go.

Weber, Stanton, Vey, McMillan all gone? ;)

I think qualifying is more of a formality, just so we retain their rights. So would figure all would get done, aside from if they're going to let someone walk. McMillan would be the prime candidate for that, I'd think, as the others all have some trade value.

Archived