The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hypothetical hockey fight

hockeyguy1234

No, he didn't fight many top contenders. Bieksa is a good fighter, but doesn't exactly have a stellar card.

Wrong quote response? I never said Bieksa was a bad fighter, just that he picks his spots.

Pound for pound, Bieksa is up there but not quite up there with the best.

• 2 months later...

Best Small Guy Fighters of All-Time In This Order:

1. Tie Domi - Albainian Assassin, generously listed at 5' 10 205, fought everybody (including Probert 9 times) and is the all time leader in fight majors. Sure he lost some fights too, but it never looked like he really lost with his grin constantly on - this guy just loved to fight and was very good at it too.

2. Wendel Clark fought everybody before entering the league and for the first ten years of his career, at 5 11 185lbs frequently beat down the toughest in the league (including the memorable Marty McSorely fight in 93 after he laid out Gilmour and Clark blackened half his face during the ensuing pay back). Probert/Clark fights were legendary. Could play pretty good too! (not that, that counts here).

3. Tocchet - just as tough as all the above and a great fighter, just not quite as good. Threw them very, very fast and HARD, if he ran out of gas and the other guy wasn't dead than he could get in trouble. NO HUGGY BEAR anywhere in his game.

4. Tiger Williams - all time leader in penalty minutes fought everybody in a different era - wasn't that big either but usually held his own and always was considered a threat given his ability to come back.

5. R.Rypien had some great fights and only lost once and not by a big margin but his quality of opposition doesn't hold up against the above list. Didn't fight the biggest and the baddest (Hal Gil can't fight anybody BTW, he may be big but he sucks as a fighter) aside from the Oiler who did beat him with his forearm "shivers" Gadzic, who isn't a good fighter either despite trying a lot (he is no McGratton, Brashear, Probert etc. ei top heavyweights) but always beat everyone else in his weight class and who could fight, or above his weight class who could fight O.K. and made the mistake to drop them. If his sample size was larger he would move up the list, but these guys have hundreds of fights against much better opponents and a ratio of better opponents too. Very sad that he isn't higher but to be considered for a top five all time spot is something.

Best Small Guy Fighters of All-Time In This Order:

1. Tie Domi - Albainian Assassin, generously listed at 5' 10 205, fought everybody (including Probert 9 times) and is the all time leader in fight majors. Sure he lost some fights too, but it never looked like he really lost with his grin constantly on - this guy just loved to fight and was very good at it too.

2. Wendel Clark fought everybody before entering the league and for the first ten years of his career, at 5 11 185lbs frequently beat down the toughest in the league (including the memorable Marty McSorely fight in 93 after he laid out Gilmour and Clark blackened half his face during the ensuing pay back). Probert/Clark fights were legendary. Could play pretty good too! (not that, that counts here).

3. Tocchet - just as tough as all the above and a great fighter, just not quite as good. Threw them very, very fast and HARD, if he ran out of gas and the other guy wasn't dead than he could get in trouble. NO HUGGY BEAR anywhere in his game.

4. Tiger Williams - all time leader in penalty minutes fought everybody in a different era - wasn't that big either but usually held his own and always was considered a threat given his ability to come back.

5. R.Rypien had some great fights and only lost once and not by a big margin but his quality of opposition doesn't hold up against the above list. Didn't fight the biggest and the baddest (Hal Gil can't fight anybody BTW, he may be big but he sucks as a fighter) aside from the Oiler who did beat him with his forearm "shivers" Gadzic, who isn't a good fighter either despite trying a lot (he is no McGratton, Brashear, Probert etc. ei top heavyweights) but always beat everyone else in his weight class and who could fight, or above his weight class who could fight O.K. and made the mistake to drop them. If his sample size was larger he would move up the list, but these guys have hundreds of fights against much better opponents and a ratio of better opponents too. Very sad that he isn't higher but to be considered for a top five all time spot is something.

The fact that none of those players on the list are still playing proves that fighting in the NHL is on the way out. If you put together a list of "the biggest and the best fighters" it would also be full of retired or dead players.

Most of the time when I see a fight in hockey these days, they make me laugh. They're so contrived and unenthusiastic. Mostly skating around holding each other's sweaters with the odd punch at the helmet. I think a well placed, body crunching check is a far better tool to tame the opposition or spark the home team.

The fact that none of those players on the list are still playing proves that fighting in the NHL is on the way out. If you put together a list of "the biggest and the best fighters" it would also be full of retired or dead players.

Most of the time when I see a fight in hockey these days, they make me laugh. They're so contrived and unenthusiastic. Mostly skating around holding each other's sweaters with the odd punch at the helmet. I think a well placed, body crunching check is a far better.

Yes fighting is on the way out - or more specifically the enforcer is on the way out, John Scott somehow found work in SJ last season and McGratton floated around a bit, and Bolton is still in CBJ (all three may not this year though) but other than that the usual suspects didn't get re-signed or weren't iced. That is why the fighting quality is so bad now (and the last couple years), teams no longer see the need to have a dancing bear or two on retainer to play their 5mins, now they ask guys like Dorsett - who has heart but really shouldn't drop them as he can't fight like the guys on this list - which leads to odd punch to helmet and holding sweaters.

Hypothetical fight?

"Say I happen to punch you in the face, how would you react?"

Well, if we're dealing in hypothetical talk, buddy would probably rip your arm off and beat you to an inch of your life with it. Then he'd hand back your arm so you can go the doc and get sewn back on. How's that for a hypothetical?

Edit: forgot about OP...toughest little dude to play the game of hockey in the past 20 years: Tie Domi, PJ Stock and Rick Rypien. No specific order. Honorable mentions: Zac Rinaldo and Rich Clune.

Dorsett gets no love on this forum, he is smaller than anyone else on this list yet still dances with the biggest. I had a chance to meet Dorsett and I was surprised how short and small he was compared to me. But guess what, size has nothing to do with heart, and Dors is all heart and guts. I respect the way he plays the game and encourage others to appreciate what kind of player we actually have on our team.

Archived