The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

On 01/09/2016 at 7:42 PM, Sean Monahan said:

To each their own I guess but I'm not sure the Canucks are in a position to take that sort of risk right now. Even if he has an outstanding freshman year it's far from a guarantee he'll ever be a legitimate 1C at the NHL level.

agreed........if Tanev is moved, it has to be for a can't miss, established young fwd.  you don't gamble your biggest chip on a maybe

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, stawns said:

agreed........if Tanev is moved, it has to be for a can't miss, established young fwd.  you don't gamble your biggest chip on a maybe

You're not wrong, but they were talking about Jost, who, while unestablished, is a can't miss young forward.

I think you're more interested in getting a Landeskog or Duchene type package, though.

28 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

You're not wrong, but they were talking about Jost, who, while unestablished, is a can't miss young forward.

I think you're more interested in getting a Landeskog or Duchene type package, though.

He definitely is a can miss. He's proven absolutely nothing at the pro level, either minor leagues or NHL. The list of players drafted high, or relatively high, that put up great numbers in the CHL or NCAA in their D+1/D+2 years only to become average-at-best NHL'ers is long and inclusive.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

He definitely is a can miss. He's proven absolutely nothing at the pro level, either minor leagues or NHL. The list of players drafted high, or relatively high, that put up great numbers in the CHL or NCAA in their D+1/D+2 years only to become average-at-best NHL'ers is long and inclusive.

Fair enough.

I do agree that you shouldn't trade Tanev for Jost though.

• Upvote 1

I really wish everyone would stop trying to include Tanev into trade suggestions.  His ability to shut down the opposing team is undeniable, and we don't have any other players who properly fit that role.  And no, the numbers show Gudbranson is not it.

I think nearly every team needs an elite shutdown defenseman to be successful; it's a great asset to have.  Would it be nice to have a star top six forward?  Absolutely.  But scoring can also be comprised of a well balanced team.  Since we are lacking tradable assets, I'm really interested to see how Benning intends on bolstering those positions - both for the remainder of the Sedins' tenure, but especially after.

27 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I really wish everyone would stop trying to include Tanev into trade suggestions.  His ability to shut down the opposing team is undeniable, and we don't have any other players who properly fit that role.  And no, the numbers show Gudbranson is not it.

I think nearly every team needs an elite shutdown defenseman to be successful; it's a great asset to have.  Would it be nice to have a star top six forward?  Absolutely.  But scoring can also be comprised of a well balanced team.  Since we are lacking tradable assets, I'm really interested to see how Benning intends on bolstering those positions - both for the remainder of the Sedins' tenure, but especially after.

One day someone who is actually semi-decent with advanced stats will come up with a "goals prevented" metric for defensemen.  When that happens, people will realize that Tanev's value to the team is akin to many of the best forwards in the league.

Edited by SamJamIam

Man I sure wish Boeser had left school this year.  I know all the "he needs to develop" stuff but watching all these teams with young talented forwards and then......the Canucks,   It may also have helped convince Cagiulla to come here.  Man we need to catch a break soon don't we.  Is it just me or do we seem to be as unlucky as all  get out lately.    

3 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

One day someone who is actually semi-decent with advanced stats will come up with a "goals prevented" metric for defensemen.  When that happens, people will realize that Tanev's value to the team is akin to many of the best forwards in the league.

I was initially one of those people who didn't think about it, and undervalued his worth.  But when you do look at the relatively obscure defensive numbers, the guy is an absolute beast.  What was it I heard.... 5th best in the league in reducing scoring chances or something like that?  Sure it is exciting to have a scoring powerhouse.  (Which, even with another forward, we wouldn't have) But if you're letting in extra goals at the same pace, there is little point in making that tradeoff - especially considering many GMs may be reluctant to pay dearly to acquire a player like Tanev, where the stats are more difficult to define on paper...

• 2 weeks later...

Boeser is the top ranked returning player in college hockey according to the USCHO website! 

1. Brock Boeser, So., North Dakota (2015-16: 27 goals-33 assists—60 points)

The top returning forward in college hockey is really not much of a debate.

All Boeser did during his stellar first college hockey season was lead last year’s national championship-winning North Dakota squad offensively, racking up 27 goals and 60 points. Each was a benchmark for this year’s returning players, and there is little to doubt that, as a sophomore, Boeser will be in the discussion for the Hobey Baker Award.

“Brock is a phenomenal player and the best pure scorer at the college level that I’ve seen in a long time,” Denver coach Jim Montgomery said. “Every shot he takes, he’s not only trying to put it through the net, but out of the building. He’s a smart hockey player that makes the players around him better and I’m sure he will be one of top players in college hockey this year.”

It took just four games for Boeser to record his first college-level hat trick. The Burnsville, Minn., native was even better in the NCAA tournament, turning in a three-point performance against Northeastern in North Dakota’s opening game and then picking up two assists in the national semifinal against Denver. Boeser saved his performance for last, contributing a goal and three assists as the Fighting Hawks blew away top-ranked Quinnipiac in the title-clinching game.

“Being a freshman last year, (Brock) did very unfreshman-like things with his scoring ability and his overall game,” Nebraska-Omaha coach Dean Blais said. “He was noticeable almost every time on the ice, but he will be more of a targeted player this year because of some of the players that North Dakota lost.”

Expectations will be high for Boeser and North Dakota in 2016-17, just like they are every year in Grand Forks. But expect this super sophomore to deliver on all of his impressive promise, and lead the Fighting Hawks on a spirited title defense.

“(Brock) is rock solid on and off ice, very focused and loves to play,” CBS Sports Network/ESPN/NHL Network college hockey analyst Dave Starman said. “He developed into a multifaceted threat as the year went on and started to score from everywhere in many different ways. (Plus) he’s an ultimate team first guy, and a perfect fit to the North Dakota culture.”

Full article: http://www.uscho.com/2016/09/27/ten-to-watch-meet-some-of-college-hockeys-impact-forwards-for-2016-17/

Also of note: Will Lockwood is 4th on the list for potential impact forwards this year (behind Keller, Bellows & Jost). Exciting times for us prospect followers!

• Upvote 2

On September 19, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Borvat said:

Man I sure wish Boeser had left school this year.  I know all the "he needs to develop" stuff but watching all these teams with young talented forwards and then......the Canucks,   It may also have helped convince Cagiulla to come here.  Man we need to catch a break soon don't we.  Is it just me or do we seem to be as unlucky as all  get out lately.    

UND is the Alabama of college hockey. Having him develop in arguably the best collegian hockey program in the world is best case scenero. He plays a light schedule, spends more time in the gym and most importantly learns a structured lifestyle. 

On 9/19/2016 at 10:06 AM, Borvat said:

I just hope that Cagiulla doesnt help to convince Boeser to go FA and sign with the Oil and all their young talent... Hard to turn down getting fed by McDavid or Draisaitl vs Sutter, Granny or Guance imo.

On 2016-09-15 at 0:43 PM, N4ZZY said:

Yes. But if Jost develops, and shows promise, then Edler + might not even be enough.

It's a risk like DeNiro has said. You trade a proven commodity for an unproven commodity, hoping that he makes it (in this case, Jost). If he doesn't, then you lose that trade, and have to replenish. Virtanen was a risk Benning took. He has all the potential in the world. Whether Jake lives up to that, well, time will tell. And if he doesn't, and he's at best a third line player? Well, that's a bust of a pick, and we replenish and move on. 

I on the fence. Heard good things about the kid entering into the draft. But we could probably find our own potential #1 centreman in next year's draft, regardless of where we pick. Especially if it's a 1st round pick. 

Some players like to carve their own path and not follow the trail others have left behind. Don't worry. 

9 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I just hope that Cagiulla doesnt help to convince Boeser to go FA and sign with the Oil and all their young talent... Hard to turn down getting fed by McDavid or Draisaitl vs Sutter, Granny or Guance imo.

The oilers have way too many forwards Boeser would be a third liner on their team, while on the Canucks hes likely our future 1st/2nd line winger. He'll keep that in mind if Cagggigigula tries anything

10 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Stecher will convince him Vancouver is the right choice.

30 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

That would mean going to school for 3 more years even though he'll likely be ready to turn pro after his year. Doesn't make sense for his career.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That would mean going to school for 3 more years even though he'll likely be ready to turn pro after his year. Doesn't make sense for his career.

not to mention that Caggiula is a long way from actually being a permanent member of the league.  Without the puck he was invisible and as the game went on and the Nucks started to lay a little body on him, he became less and less effective.  I see him as a candidate to get rocked out of the league

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Be leaving and risking a lot of money. Not a wise choice for a pro athlete whose career can end at any given moment.

41 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Wasn't Boeser the one trying to convince Drake to sign in Van?