The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Or just really pissed tonight.  Alf has been pissed at our current management for a while.  I think the potential of losing Boeser and Demko is the proverbial straw. :angry:  and now the Kings just scored again!   :angry:. Where are my HAPPY pills?  

Your acting like Boeser playing another year in college, is a big surprise. This was almost pretty much always a given. If he doesn't sign next summer then you can start getting a bit pissy.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

You guys won't be face palming and laughing your asses off when Boeser becomes a UFA and signs with another team.  JB needs to get these college guys, who are obviously awesome, signed.  The longer he waits, the closer those guys come to UFA status.  

He can't sign them before they decide to stop playing College hockey otherwise they lose their amateur status.  Reason why they have to pay their own costs to attend development camp.

Like every other teams does, I expect the Canucks are in constant contact with them through whoever's in charge of player development.  He most certainly meets up regularly with them to provide advice re nutrition, training, video review etc.  It think it takes quite some deception to decide to go the UFA route.  

And FWIW, Russo the Wild's beat writer who also covers Minnesota players has already said last summer that Boeser intends to play at least 2 years of College hockey so that's really nothing new.

Edited by mll

11 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

We should have a vote to ban button. 

It isn't quite the same, but on this forum we do have the ability to ignore any user whose content we don't enjoy reading.

1 hour ago, mll said:

He can't sign them before they decide to stop playing College hockey otherwise they lose their amateur status.  Reason why they have to pay their own costs to attend development camp.

Like every other teams does, I expect the Canucks are in constant contact with them through whoever's in charge of player development.  He most certainly meets up regularly with them to provide advice re nutrition, training, video review etc.  It think it takes quite some deception to decide to go the UFA route.  

And FWIW, Russo the Wild's beat writer who also covers Minnesota players has already said last summer that Boeser intends to play at least 2 years of College hockey so that's really nothing new.

...and confirmed by John Shannon during the second intermission.

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why can't JB sign the guys we want?  This is just another HUGE reason why JB needs to stay as a scout, and hire a proper GM.  

far-fetched
adjective
adjective: farfetched
  1. unlikely and unconvincing; implausible.
    "the theory sounded bizarre and far-fetched"
    synonyms: improbable, unlikely, implausible, scarcely credible, difficult to believe,dubious, doubtful, unconvincing, incredible, unbelievable, unthinkable,beyond the bounds of possibility

1 hour ago, DeltaSwede said:
far-fetched
adjective
adjective: farfetched
  1. unlikely and unconvincing; implausible.
    "the theory sounded bizarre and far-fetched"
    synonyms: improbable, unlikely, implausible, scarcely credible, difficult to believe,dubious, doubtful, unconvincing, incredible, unbelievable, unthinkable,beyond the bounds of possibility

I agree 100%.  JB, as a GM, has a really far-fetched philosophy on how to build a winning team. :)

Thanks for your support! :) 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree 100%.  JB, as a GM, has a really far-fetched philosophy on how to build a winning team. :)

Thanks for your support! :) 

Have to admit that Benning's taking, I think, a calculated risk. 

He's traded away some picks and prospects that used to be in the Canucks system for other players from other organizations who are still fairly young, that have either fallen out of favor with said organization, or has stalled in their development in said organization. Baertschi comes to mind for the former example. Etem comes to mind in the latter example. 

I see Benning trying to restock Canucks with young players who haven't established themselves yet, but could very well break-through (i.e. Baertschi probably best example to date). Some seem like they're on their way, and some seem like they may not pan out (it's a risk) like Etem, Vey (though he has been playing better), Pedan, etc. Time will tell if those players will contribute to the team, and become impactful and effective NHLers. 

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

He's traded away some picks and prospects that used to be in the Canucks system for other players from other organizations who are still fairly young, that have either fallen out of favor with said organization, or has stalled in their development in said organization. Baertschi comes to mind for the former example. Etem comes to mind in the latter example. 

I see Benning trying to restock Canucks with young players who haven't established themselves yet, but could very well break-through (i.e. Baertschi probably best example to date). Some seem like they're on their way, and some seem like they may not pan out (it's a risk) like Etem, Vey (though he has been playing better), Pedan, etc. Time will tell if those players will contribute to the team, and become impactful and effective NHLers. 

He's filling in the 20-25 year old range of players that we're missing from Gillis's first few years. And generally unloading players he doesn't see as long term fixtures, or picks. I think he's doing a fantastic job since generally the players he's gathering were all higher picks that haven't panned out, but still seem to have a legitimate chance to at least contribute something at the NHL level. Even if it's only bottom six contributors or bottum pairing defenceman that's still positive.

• Upvote 1

He's filling in the 20-25 year old range of players that we're missing from Gillis's first few years. And generally unloading players he doesn't see as long term fixtures, or picks. I think he's doing a fantastic job since generally the players he's gathering were all higher picks that haven't panned out, but still seem to have a legitimate chance to at least contribute something at the NHL level. Even if it's only bottom six contributors or bottum pairing defenceman that's still positive.

6 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

i was wondering why you had to post it FOUR TIMES! :mellow::huh::lol:^_^ hehe 

But I agree with you. I think Benning's trying to undo what Gillis did (which was draft poorly...)

A little more on the Rookie Team award:

With the third regular season of the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) complete, the NCHC revealed its 2015-16 All-Rookie Team Tuesday, which consists of six players representing five different teams. St. Cloud State was the lone team to place two players on the squad, making up the defensive corps with Will Borgen and Jimmy Schuldt. The forwards consist of North Dakota’s Brock Boeser, Denver’s Dylan Gambrell and Miami’s Jack Roslovic, while Omaha goaltender Evan Weninger rounds out the team.

Boeser was the top vote-getter with 40 points, including 13 of a possible 14 first-place votes, while Schuldt totaled 36 points. Gambrell and Borgen each received 34 points with both Huskies and Gambrell earning 11 first-place votes each. Roslovic picked up six first-place votes and 26 points, while Weninger totaled 38 points with 12 of 14 first-place votes.

Boeser (Burnsville, Minn.) was the NCHC scoring champion with 35 points in 24 conference games, becoming the first freshman in the NCHC to claim the title, while his 35 points in conference play are the most in a season in the NCHC’s short history. The Canucks prospect also led all players with 20 goals in NCHC play, including four game-winners, while posting a plus-23 plus/minus rating and averaging 1.46 points per game in conference games.

• Upvote 2