The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

1 minute ago, tas said:

yes, that is an example of a player who played an overage season. 

thank you.

That there is an example of a player who absolutely crushed his overage season and did nothing since. Plays in the echl still. 

You're underestimating overagers advantage in JR levels.

11 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

That there is an example of a player who absolutely crushed his overage season and did nothing since. Plays in the echl still. 

You're underestimating overagers advantage in JR levels.

my post that you quoted was an argument emphasising the advantages of playing as an overager and pointing out why it's important not to call players overagers when they're not. 

Edited by tas

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think that Boeser would benefit from a season in the AHL.

Young guys are coming out of Junior and college better prepared than ever.  (not including, of course, the player Alf refuses to mention because it's too painful)  I think Boeser will sign this spring, and play a few games in Utica, thereby burning a year off his ELC.  Then, next season he's on our big team, providing the direction from management is to build for the future.  (Alf sees this plan with Gaudette too)  More young guys to get behind, and more hope for the future.  That's what the fans want!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think that Boeser would benefit from a season in the AHL.

If Bo can take him under his wing (in terms of 2 way play and work ethic) then Boeser could end up playing on Bo's wing , then they can both go out for wings!!! 

If not then yeah I agree the AHL would be a good start. 

I also think a year in the AHL would be great for Brock. 

But with the meathead fans we have here who can't seem to show any patients with our prospects, I hope he comes straight to the NHL. Pretty much just to avoid hearing a year of 'Boesser is a bust'. 

If Subban can't get a couple years in the AHL as a very late round pick, without having the combined CDC dumdums crying for his call up, what shot does Brock have at a proper development? 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I also think a year in the AHL would be great for Brock. 

But with the meathead fans we have here who can't seem to show any patients with our prospects, I hope he comes straight to the NHL. Pretty much just to avoid hearing a year of 'Boesser is a bust'. 

If Subban can't get a couple years in the AHL as a very late round pick, without having the combined CDC dumdums crying for his call up, what shot does Brock have at a proper development? 

I'm not against him playing in the AHL for a season (or more if he needs it); However, I think if he earns a spot on the big team, then he should be given that shot. Players develop differently from one another and some are ready for the show sooner. I'm not saying that Brock is, but if he proves he is in training camp and pre-season, if he shows his commitment in the offseason by working out hard and showing up prepared, If he deserves to be there, then he should be given his chance.

If there is any question of how prepared he is, then send him to the A until we're certain.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I'm not against him playing in the AHL for a season (or more if he needs it); However, I think if he earns a spot on the big team, then he should be given that shot. Players develop differently from one another and some are ready for the show sooner. I'm not saying that Brock is, but if he proves he is in training camp and pre-season, if he shows his commitment in the offseason by working out hard and showing up prepared, If he deserves to be there, then he should be given his chance.

If there is any question of how prepared he is, then send him to the A until we're certain.

That is how you should develop players.  Keep them in a lower level until they show they are ready for the next step up.  

No spot should ever be gifted. 

It creates laziness and un earned privilege(see Virtanen). 

It can ruin development of a player.  

Having said that, I have a feeling Brock will come in ready to play and make the team out of camp next year.   

4 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

That is how you should develop players.  Keep them in a lower level until they show they are ready for the next step up.  

No spot should ever be gifted. 

It creates laziness and un earned privilege(see Virtanen). 

It can ruin development of a player.  

Having said that, I have a feeling Brock will come in ready to play and make the team out of camp next year.   

He does seem to have the maturity and drive to do it at a young age. Between him and Juolevi, training camp should be fun to follow next season. That is assuming he signs this offseason.