The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

It was a small chunk of games but I think Brock is in a different situation than guys like Jensen/McCann/Virt. He seems to have something about him. 

He also had injury problems this past season, it wasn't a picture perfect year for him so maybe next year he will come back in even better shape. Who knows? 

I'll try and temper my expectations, but as it stands now I would be surprised if he wasn't an NHL player next year.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

On 5/25/2017 at 0:53 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, and even beyond the age factor, the level of play and quality of competition is quite different.

Boeser played in one of the most competitive divisions (EDIT: should probably say "conferences" here) in college hockey. The NCHC compares quite favourably to the AHL, with an NHLe conversion rate of around 0.41 (compared to the AHL at 0.47).

CHL hockey is around 0.3, (with the WHL at 0.27 and OHL at 0.32).

So Boeser played longer, at a higher level, at a greater age, and against older competition, before making the jump to the NHL (when compared to Virtanen and McCann). 

Thanks for providing the stat about league conversion rates. Did not know that and very cool to know. I've always thought the NCAA gives the best chances for prospects to make the NHL, whereas perrenial Canadian All-Stars typically come from the CHL. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He'll start with the big club for sure.

Ya when a player that young comes in for the short time and showed what he did, he will start up. Especially a franchise desperately clawing to keep people in the seats, it will be a down few years but it will be bearable if we can watch our team progress with young talent. 

boeser will likely never play an ahl game.

I legitimately expect 25 goals from him next year. I won't be disappointed if he doesn't get there, it just feels like something that will happen. 

• Upvote 3

I hope they give him and Virtanen equal reps in the preseason, so we can get a good comparison of both. Given our current contracts I wouldn't be shocked if both started in the minors and played with Dahlen. Will be interesting to know which RFA's have been qualified. 

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Not for sure, at all.  His skating needs a lot of work.

I would argue that, while brock would certainly benefit from improved skating, he would likely have a long and productive career even if it didn't improve at all. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

The odds of Brock starting in the AHL are on par with me marrying Felicity Jones.

who are they going to send down in his place?  Goldy?  He's done everything he can at the AHL and has good chemistry with the twins/  Boucher?  And lose him on waivers?  There's nothing wrong with letting BB get his pro feet under him in Utica

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

who are they going to send down in his place?  Goldy?  He's done everything he can at the AHL and has good chemistry with the twins/  Boucher?  And lose him on waivers?  There's nothing wrong with letting BB get his pro feet under him in Utica

Don't think anyone has to be sent down in Boeser's place, he finished the season with the Canucks.  But to answer your post Boucher for sure, he's just a waiver pickup and was playing top 6 minutes so his numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. 

I just don't see what everyone else is seeing.  Is it the fact some people are gun shy of playing our youth because of Virtanen and McCann?  What does Boeser need to learn in the AHL?  Defense?  Not everyone has to be a Selke candidate in order to play in the NHL. 

Sedins Granlund

Baerstchi Horvat Boeser

Eriksson Sutter Goldobin

Boucher Megna Dorsett

Chaput

I mean that's all the forwards I can think of at the moment.  Good luck filling seats and winning games if Boeser starts the year in Utica and you have Chaput in the top 6 again.

Edit: oh forgot about that ghost Eriksson(go figure)

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Don't think anyone has to be sent down in Boeser's place, he finished the season with the Canucks.  But to answer your post Boucher for sure, he's just a waiver pickup and was playing top 6 minutes so his numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. 

I just don't see what everyone else is seeing.  Is it the fact some people are gun shy of playing our youth because of Virtanen and McCann?  What does Boeser need to learn in the AHL?  Defense?  Not everyone has to be a Selke candidate in order to play in the NHL. 

Sedins Granlund

Baerstchi Horvat Boeser

Eriksson Sutter Goldobin

Boucher Megna Dorsett

Chaput

I mean that's all the forwards I can think of at the moment.  Good luck filling seats and winning games if Boeser starts the year in Utica and you have Chaput in the top 6 again.

Edit: oh forgot about that ghost Eriksson(go figure)

Skating, defense positional play, consistency, mental fatigue, building chemistry with other kids his age.

I'm not arguing he came in and looked good as a goal scorer, but the game is a lot more than that and his skating needs a lot of work.  The AHL is a development league where they play the bulk of their games on weekends and practice all week.  Could Brock come in and be an opportunistic goal scorer?  Of course, but I want him to reach his full potential, not just as a guy who stands around the net and knocks pucks in.  Starting in the AHL gives him the opportunity to practice and develop that he won't get in the NHL grind.  Certainly doesn't

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

Goldy could still vastly improve his puck pursuit/retrieval, battle etc.