The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Don't count Hutton out of that discussion yet.

While Hutton is doing better than we all expected, I think don't think he can turn into the #1 defensemen we need. I would love to be proved wrong, but I see him as a #3 defensmen; we have that elite #1 defensemen an a complementary partner. 

While Hutton is doing better than we all expected, I think don't think he can turn into the #1 defensemen we need. I would love to be proved wrong, but I see him as a #3 defensmen; we have that elite #1 defensemen an a complementary partner. 

Same. I LOVE the kid but he looks like he'll be a solid #3 maybe #2. He might be the partner to said #1 but I doubt he is the #1.

hutton might end up being another Edler, which I'm totally cool with, as he is currently our top dman, I am talking like a dman that can compete for a Norris, for example like a Ryan Suter, someone that can be depended on for 82 games, and not make screw ups.  I see him becomming our top 2 (Hutton) but not a future Norris trophy caliber like a Weber or a Chara.

hutton might end up being another Edler, which I'm totally cool with, as he is currently our top dman, I am talking like a dman that can compete for a Norris, for example like a Ryan Suter, someone that can be depended on for 82 games, and not make screw ups.  I see him becomming our top 2 (Hutton) but not a future Norris trophy caliber like a Weber or a Chara.

Yeah, Edler is also a good, complimentary #2D (albeit with a different skill set)... unfortunately we'll probably have to luck out and draft a #1D to get one. 

We may just end up with a bunch of good but not great #2 and #3 guys in our future top 4. That's the best way to go if you can't nab a true #1.

Edit:

Just realized this is the Boesser thread...WTF guys? :lol:

Edited by J.R.

Yeah, Edler is also a good, complimentary #2D (albeit with a different skill set)... unfortunately we'll probably have to luck out and draft a #1D to get one. 

We may just end up with a bunch of good but not great #2 and #3 guys in our future top 4. That's the best way to go if you can't nab a true #1.

Edit:

Just realized this is the Boesser thread...WTF guys? :lol:

Boeser's success is just a foregone conclusions so Hutton is the next big question when it comes to setting up our Stanley Cup dynasty ;)

One tangential point about Hutton I would like add: No Norris winners since 2000 came from the NCAA.  This is just a function of the small sample size of giving one guy the award each year.  Each guy has shown the ability to play solid defense while putting up points.  This means putting up close to a PPG in the CHL or 0.5 PPG in a pro league.  Hutton is absolutely in this range.  But of course there are many busts who satisfy this same criteria.

The other commonality is that Norris players tend to have a fairly early impact in the NHL.  Very few stick as 18 year olds though.  So spending time in the NCAA has not set Hutton back one bit.  And when future Norris winners did stick with their NHL teams, they tended to score at a fairly low pace early on.  Think 0.25 PPG.  By this metric as well (which is obviously much more important than junior success), Hutton looks very good compared to this elite company.

The reality is that we just don't know and will have to wait and see how the season goes.  But as far as ruling Ben out from Norris potential, there is certainly no basis to do so yet and much more that points to the alternative.

• Upvote 1

The reality is that we just don't know and will have to wait and see how the season goes.  But as far as ruling Ben out from Norris potential, there is certainly no basis to do so yet and much more that points to the alternative.

Absolutely true. And I apologize if my post came off as a putting 'hard' ceiling on his development. You're right that we won't really know what we've got for ~5 years and the early returns are certainly promising.

But if I had to make an educated guess I'd still say #2/#3 guy. I don't think he'll quite have the size to be a dominant, Norris level, #1. But you never know... and I'd be more than happy to be 'wrong' ::D

Absolutely true. And I apologize if my post came off as a putting 'hard' ceiling on his development. You're right that we won't really know what we've got for ~5 years and the early returns are certainly promising.

But if I had to make an educated guess I'd still say #2/#3 guy. I don't think he'll quite have the size to be a dominant, Norris level, #1. But you never know... and I'd be more than happy to be 'wrong' ::D

It was just a general reply to those talking about Hutton, targeted at no one in particular. :)

I'm thinking of a rookie Canuck D man in the last 30 years that was better than Hutton is now.

Name that Canuck.

Lidster?

Edited by SamJamIam

The difference is, Hutton is already making very few mistakes out there and is able to get himself out of trouble most of the time.  Edler still has moments (games, stretches, seasons) where he seems to clue out and make very poor decisions.  Second, it so far does not seem to matter who Hutton plays with -- he raises the level of his partner.  Not sure the same can be said about Edler.

You realize he's 22 and a rookie right? And he's already our number 4.

He's shown incredible offensive awareness, is a great skater, and is sound in his own end.

Curious why you think his upside is limited to a number 3. He can be as strong as Erhoff for us and better defensively. That's an adequate number 1.

Winning a Norris is a whole different level but I don't think anyone ever thought Burrows would turn into the player he became, Kesler would win a Selke, or even the twins would both win an Art Ross in tafter watching them in their rookie years and this guy is playing at a much higher level as a rookie than those players did.

I don't discount his ability, he has all the tools. Alot of what he develops into will depend on what's around him.

Edited by NazzyHankBo

I'm thinking of a rookie Canuck D man in the last 30 years that was better than Hutton is now.

Name that Canuck.

possibly Luc Bourdon?

possibly Tanev.

possibly no one with Hutton's abilities,. He is fluid, rarely standing still, head is up, eyes wide open.   Do we dare compare him to the Leaf rookie Morgan Riley?

Alex Edler?

Jiri Slegr?

Kevin Bieksa?

Maybe someone behind the bench who's first full season had 6 goals 24 asst his 1st year,  then 12 goals his 2nd year,  then 12 goals his 3rd year as a young Canuck D man. :towel:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3145

came in as a 22 year old his first full season.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1