The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

9 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Good comment. I cannot find the reference but I have seen a couple of studies that claim to show that the "consensus" picks outperform GMs who go "off the board" for high first round picks. As you point out, there is so much scrutiny of the top prospects that it is hard to see how a given GM can have "inside information" or "better scouting". If a GM wants to go off the board in the first round that should create some alarm bells.

Of course, some high consensus picks turns out to be busts and some lower picks do really well. The consensus is far from perfect on an ex post basis. It is just that there is no particular reason to believe than any one GM can consistently beat the consensus for high first round picks. From the lower part of the first round on, there is some chance for specialized knowledge or insight to play a role.

The other thing to account for is what is actually a successful pick. Some people define that as an someone who plays 200+ NHL games, Others would say someone who scores x amount of points per season, others would say the right pick is the one that gets you to the cup regardless of individual production as this is a team game. 

17 minutes ago, Derp... said:

The other thing to account for is what is actually a successful pick. Some people define that as an someone who plays 200+ NHL games, Others would say someone who scores x amount of points per season, others would say the right pick is the one that gets you to the cup regardless of individual production as this is a team game. 

What is successful would depend on where he was drafted. I would say that a late round pick who plays 200 NHL games would be a successful pick even if he was just a depth player, a number 13 forward or a number 7 Dman. A top 3 pick, on the other hand, would need to be much better than that to be considered a success.

5 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

What is successful would depend on where he was drafted. I would say that a late round pick who plays 200 NHL games would be a successful pick even if he was just a depth player, a number 13 forward or a number 7 Dman. A top 3 pick, on the other hand, would need to be much better than that to be considered a success.

I think with Gudbranson it gets interesting. He was 3rd overall and I would say he hasn't lived up to those expectations, though still fairly early on in his career. However, I wouldn't consider him a bust, even if he doesn't progress much further.

8 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I think with Gudbranson it gets interesting. He was 3rd overall and I would say he hasn't lived up to those expectations, though still fairly early on in his career. However, I wouldn't consider him a bust, even if he doesn't progress much further.

Yeah, I would have to say that at this point Guddy doesn't look like a home run for a third overall. So far he looks something like Torres (5th overall) - a useful player, especially in the playoffs, but somewhat underwhelming for his draft position.

But Guddy is still half a decade away from the age when most Dmen peak, so assuming that he won't get any better wouldn't be very reasonable.

• Upvote 2

He is all over the place in those highlights. No assist is similar to another. Looking at junior/college players who score a ton of points you want to look at how creative they are and how effective they are in getting different types of goals/assists. 

Really like his aggressiveness on the 2nd assist.

Edited by Pearly Jamble

On 2017-02-18 at 0:25 AM, DeNiro said:

It's the later rounds that scouts like him earn their paycheck.

Like you said any average GM can make a good pick in the top ten, yet even master scouts like Benning still make mistakes there. Whether it's believing a player has intangibles that make them underrated, or just seeing too many flaws in the players that are ranked higher.

I get why Benning picked Juolevi. We need elite defensemen in our system pretty badly. I don't agree with passing on the best player available though. And Tkachuk was the best player available.

If anything his selection of Brisebois just shows that he can find these smooth puck movers past the first round.

So Tkachuk was the best player at 5 right now.  That isn't definitive yet. Juolevi wouldn't have lasted past 6. So it wasn't an off the board pick. Time to move on and realize JB has made some excellent picks. 

Do you pass on a huge team need and a highly ranked player when there is a marginally higher ranked player on the boards?  JB did. Maybe there is bad blood between some Canucks management and Keith. The Canucks didn't even interview Matt, yet he was in their wheelhouse. Strange, no?  

JB has a stated plan and based on his current scouting record in Vancouver, Juolevi is likely a stud in the making. Nearly every d man he has picked or signed has had impressive jr seasons, including Tate Olsen, a 7th round pick. 

If Brisebois and Neill are rocking it as thirds, along with Trymakin, what's not to like about him using a higher pick to get a d man?  He obviously knows what he is looking for. 

Even his 5th rounder from 2014 has made it to the show. Patience is required.  

JB is not quite 3 years into a full rebuild, retool or whatever with one hand tied behind his back (if you believe that Aquaman is overtly involved with club moves). Not every pick is meant to have an immediate impact. 

This is so similar to the 'Nick vs Horvat' debate. Not that I think Tkachuk isn't a good pick, but we can't draft everyone.  Juolevi is also a good pick. 

There is nothing about Juolevi's play this year that is concerning from a prospect development prespective.  Just that another player has made an earlier impact.  It happens all the time.  

Edit, btw you refer to Juolevi as an elite defender, and your not happy he was picked?  

Cant remember is Perry or Getzlaf was picked after Kessler?  But did that make Kessler a bad pick?  He isn't quite as good as either Perry or Getzlaf, but he is still really good.

Did Burke screw the pooch by drafting the only Selke winner in club history, an elite shut down center who put up 40g and helped carry this team within one game of a SC?  If his groin wasn't destroyed in the western final, we likely win over Boston. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

adding to the above conversations about our D core,.

If you look at who will probably move from our D fence in the next 2 years, that being a higher probability of Tanev and Edler..

What remains (at this point) are the futuristic possibilities of the likes of Tryamkin, Stetcher, Hutton, Sbisa, Joulevi, Brisebois, Mceneny, and Gudbranson. With Gudbranson being a perfect leader model for that Core.

JB has done a fantastic job of stocking our Defensive shelf.

Hope we get a look at Mceneney before the end of season..  

and I look forward to keeping an eye out and hearing more great news on Brisebois.

• Upvote 2

On 2017-02-17 at 8:25 PM, DeNiro said:

I get why Benning picked Juolevi. We need elite defensemen in our system pretty badly. I don't agree with passing on the best player available though. And Tkachuk was the best player available.

If anything his selection of Brisebois just shows that he can find these smooth puck movers past the first round.

Tkachuk skates like he's in pudding which might also be what's between his ears.  He'll be getting walked at the line by Juolevi for a long time to come.

Back to Brisebois, he really is showing how far he's come in a year.  Lots of confidence, consistently makes intelligent plays but also is demonstrating real skill.  It's also great to see a d-man who is so good offensively that he can play on either half wall (!) during the powerplay.   Know who else did that?  Ben Hutton.

• Upvote 2

I've always considered Brisebois to be a solid bet at being a reliable, smooth defenseman at the NHL level. I would still put his ceiling as a #4 although if he moves beyond that it'll likely be due to chemistry with his partner. However, landing a #4/#5 defenseman in the 3rd round is great. I think his offense will wear off a little as he climbs the ranks and we would ultimately end up with a player who plays similarly to Hjaalmarson, which is very valuable. Maybe not quite the same impact as Hjaalmarson being that he is a solid #3, but a similar style of play.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

No points for Brisebois in his last game of the year, he finishes with 10-37-47 in 61 games on the year and a +35 rating. Charlottetown finishes as the 4th seed and will play Baie-Comeau in the first round.

Wow, + 35 is very impressive especially on a team that's not the runaway 1st seed.  This is also for a player who three years ago posted a -40 season!

2 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

No points for Brisebois in his last game of the year, he finishes with 10-37-47 in 61 games on the year and a +35 rating. Charlottetown finishes as the 4th seed and will play Baie-Comeau in the first round.

18 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Wow, + 35 is very impressive especially on a team that's not the runaway 1st seed.  This is also for a player who three years ago posted a -40 season!

On 3/11/2017 at 7:37 PM, NEON.KNEE said:

My fave Canuck defense prospect.  Love seeing him do well.  Can't wait to see him on the Canucks in a few years. 

Yes, Brisebois had an excellent regular season. For a guy who is acknowledged to be excellent defensively and gets a lot of tough minutes, his scoring was impressive and his plus/minus very impressive. He is in his draft+2 year while Juolevi is in his draft+1 year but it would not be big shock to me if Brisebois turns out to be the best Canuck defensive prospect not currently on the team. 

In any case, it will be interesting to see him in Utica next year.

• Upvote 1