The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D

100% impossible to tell where this kid will end up in the NHL without seeing him play in the NHL. Some of the best d in the world today were selected after the 1st round. Calling him anything right now is a complete waste of internet. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  How good could this guy be DeNiro?  Is Alf too excited?

Definitely not unrealistic to see him as a top 4 in the next few years.

With good hockey sense and skating already, the only thing left for him to do is get stronger.

He may give us the luxury of trading someone like Hutton or Tanev going forward.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Definitely not unrealistic to see him as a top 4 in the next few years.

With good hockey sense and skating already, the only thing left for him to do is get stronger.

He may give us the luxury of trading someone like Hutton or Tanev going forward.

It's like JB finds players turning over rocks.  Look at Gaudette and Brisbois.  

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

If only his top 10 picks would pan out this team should have a very solid foundation in the future.

Obviously its too early to tell how they'll pan out but I'm certainly encouraged although Virtanen gives me some worry. I don't think he'll be a bust but I also don't think he will live up to being drafted 6th overall. Again to early to tell. I believe Juolevi will be an absolute stud #3 if not #2 defenceman which to me would be fantastic. But that's just my opinion. You also cant be mad that Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, and Gaudette are ranked in Craig Buttons top50. The future is bright :)

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

His track record shows that he is superior at evaluating and projecting the future career trajectories of young talent. It is just more noticeable on later round picks. There is enough focus on first round picks that any CDC armchair GM could probably do nearly as well there as the average GM, by just perusing Central Scouting and the other lists. You know, the vaunted "consensus" picks. The same does not apply to the later round, lower probability picks. It is there that his ability is more noticeable.

It's the later rounds that scouts like him earn their paycheck.

Like you said any average GM can make a good pick in the top ten, yet even master scouts like Benning still make mistakes there. Whether it's believing a player has intangibles that make them underrated, or just seeing too many flaws in the players that are ranked higher.

I get why Benning picked Juolevi. We need elite defensemen in our system pretty badly. I don't agree with passing on the best player available though. And Tkachuk was the best player available.

If anything his selection of Brisebois just shows that he can find these smooth puck movers past the first round.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

That is very nice to see... Very happy he had an amazing game.  One of my favorite prospects in our system.  I think sky's the limit for this kid, but most of you know that already.

The fact that he was invited to Team Canada's WJ camp, shows that it will be up to GB himself to get to the next level. Here's hoping the Canucks have a gem in their system.

20 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

His track record shows that he is superior at evaluating and projecting the future career trajectories of young talent. It is just more noticeable on later round picks. There is enough focus on first round picks that any CDC armchair GM could probably do nearly as well there as the average GM, by just perusing Central Scouting and the other lists. You know, the vaunted "consensus" picks. The same does not apply to the later round, lower probability picks. It is there that his ability is more noticeable.

Good comment. I cannot find the reference but I have seen a couple of studies that claim to show that the "consensus" picks outperform GMs who go "off the board" for high first round picks. As you point out, there is so much scrutiny of the top prospects that it is hard to see how a given GM can have "inside information" or "better scouting". If a GM wants to go off the board in the first round that should create some alarm bells.

Of course, some high consensus picks turns out to be busts and some lower picks do really well. The consensus is far from perfect on an ex post basis. It is just that there is no particular reason to believe than any one GM can consistently beat the consensus for high first round picks. From the lower part of the first round on, there is some chance for specialized knowledge or insight to play a role.