The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Two-way, non-stop motor, dog-on-a-bone, etc.  Don't have to go many pages back to see quotes from his coach here.

I love the competitveness. There was an article I think it was here, that he really wanted to show hes every bit as good as Pettersson in the development camp. Gotta love that kind of confidence

Could definitely see Gaudette turning into cam atkinson in terms of offense. 40-50 points and 20-25 goals. Difference is Gaudette is bigger and can play centre with a better two-way game. If this is what he turns into I’d say huge win. 

Edited by Canadian Clay

On 2/15/2018 at 1:38 PM, Rick Blight said:

Actually, there have been more players born in January (799) play in the NHL than players born in any other month. March, April and February are next so it would appear the earlier you were born in the year the better your chances of making it to the NHL :ph34r:

NHL Totals by Birth Month - Career Stats

Rk   Month Players GP G A P PIM PPG SHG GWG
1   February 731 188 169 33 590 50 909 84 499 154 937 8175 1015 4706
2   January 799 197 747 31 537 51 082 82 619 171 299 7221 983 4619
3   July 634 169 797 30 346 50 672 81 018 131 351 7369 986 4480
4   March 747 189 143 29 370 50 295 79 665 156 688 6789 1081 4016
5   June 615 171 445 28 228 46 730 74 958 147 026 6749 938 4044
6   October 564 158 123 28 304 44 800 73 104 122 940 6712 898 3898
7   September 584 154 036 27 835 43 654 71 489 121 005 6489 750 3956
8   April 729 174 320 26 153 45 052 71 205 148 436 6129 832 3652
9   May 704 169 254 27 052 43 447 70 499 137 330 5935 900 3733
10   December 510 149 709 26 250 43 177 69 427 117 819 5854 943 3843
11   August 547 144 767 25 201 42 037 67 238 115 420 6125 791 3476
12   November 502 131 461 20 748 32 982 53 730 105 559 4401 561 3034

That is what I was trying to say to the other fellow with stats.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is what I was trying to say to the other fellow with stats.

Take a look at that graph again notice that the months of September November and December have the lowest number of players? If you sort by defensemen the discrepancy is much higher. This has been back tested up to 30 years and is a surefire thing that I am not making up. For whatever reason, defensemen drafted with late birthdays do much better in the NHL. 

Adam Gaudette named the Hockey East Player of the Month:

BOSTON – It was a month for the ages for the Northeastern hockey program, which went 6-1-1, finished in second place in Hockey East for the first time since 2008-09 and captured the program's first Beanpot title in 30 years. Two of the Huskies at the forefront of Northeastern's second half surge, Adam Gaudette and Cayden Primeau, collected conference honors on Tuesday when Gaudette was named the Hockey East Player of the Month and Primeau the Stop It Goaltending of the Month for February.

Gaudette led the NCAA in scoring with 17 points (10 goals, seven assists) in eight games, including goals in seven straight games and leading the nation with 2.12 points per game in that span. Gaudette recorded multi-point efforts in six of his eight games, including four three-point nights.

The Braintree, Mass. native solidified his place as one of the most iconic players in program history on February 12 when he recorded a hat trick in the Beanpot championship against Boston University, leading the Huskies to their first tournament title since 1988. Gaudette struck once per period against the Terriers, including his third of the night with 30 seconds to play on a dogged effort to work through a Terrier defenseman and pot the puck into the open net to seal Northeastern's first Beanpot win in 30 years.

For his efforts, Gaudette was named Beanpot MVP, the sixth player in team history to earn the honor and first since 2013.

Gaudette's hot hand continued throughout February, finishing the month with nine points (five goals, four assists) in four straight conference wins to help the Huskies to a second place finish in the Hockey East standings. His five-point weekend against UNH in the regular season finale earned the junior the title of Hockey East Scoring Champion (19 goals, 14 assists), the second Husky to win the conference's regular season scoring title (Jason Guerriero in 2004-05).

Not to be outdone, Primeau was the backbone of the Northeastern defense throughout the month with a .961 save percentage and 1.26 goals against average in eight starts, good for third and fourth in the NCAA in that span, respectively.

The Voorhees, N.J. native made at least 30 saves in five starts, held opponents to two goals or fewer on six occasions and recorded two shutouts.

Primeau saved his best for the biggest stage of the season when he steered aside 37 Boston College shots in a 3-0 shutout of the Eagles in the Beanpot semifinal before topping it with a season-high 38 against the Terriers one week later with the 66th Beanpot hanging in the balance. His .974 save percentage gave the rookie the Eberly Award for highest Beanpot save percentage, the first for a Husky since 2011 and 14th time in tournament history.

Like Gaudette, Primeau's electric play didn't stop after the Beanpot. He followed that up with a 4-0-0 mark to finish the regular season and become the Hockey East Goaltending Champion, the first since Brad Thiessen in 2008-09 and the fifth freshman in Hockey East history to claim the honor. In the process, Primeau tied the school record for most shutouts by a freshman (four), set by Thiessen in 2006-07.

http://gonu.com/news/2018/2/27/mens-ice-hockey-beanpot-heroes-gaudette-and-primeau-earn-hea-monthly-accolades.aspx

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Biasbieksa said:

Out of curiosity, why was Gaudette drafted so low?

30 points in 50 GP in the USHL in his draft year. He was also older than many in the draft (October 1996 birthday).

He has improved, dramaticly, every year since he was drafted.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Gonna be over a week until Gaudette plays again so I figured we could enjoy the highlights from last game. Not so much for the goalscoring clips, although they’re nice, but some of the other plays Adam makes.

The video opens with Gaudette leading the attack, making the entry, and then showing off a nice one on one move to leave the defender on the ice searching for his jock while Adam gets off a good scoring chance. Later (around 22 seconds in) you see his aggressiveness in the attacking zone pay off as he creates a steal where he anticipates the Dman’s pass, intercepts the puck, makes a strong move to the net, and Stevens is there to clean up and score. Around 54 seconds in, Adam shows great vision and awareness, he receives the puck along the boards in the neutral zone, delays while he draws two defenders, takes a peek over his shoulder, and then makes a backhanded centering pass to Sikura in full stride as he’s skating up the gut and about to enter the zone. Leads to another great opportunity. And then, of course, there’s Adam doing what he does best on the goal he scores just over a minute into the vid.

We talk about how great Gaudette is at one timers on the power play from the bottom of the left circle. And those goals are amazing. But some of the other plays you see in this video highlight the fact that Adam is no one trick pony.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I don't know too much about the NCAA.  Realistically, when will AG's season end and will we see him in some games up here or will it be straight to the AHL this season?

He will want to play NHL games to burn a year off his contract (standard NCAA fare) and then he will be off for the summer. (He had to be papered at the deadline to get into games in the AHL playoffs by the NHL deadline). 

The only scenario he plays in the AHL this year is if he signs an AHL PTO deal and agrees to an NHL deal that kicks in this summer. However, that is unlikely.

As NCAA players go, I don't envision Gaudette spending much time in Utica. NCAA guys spend more time in the gym so they show up stronger then CHL prospects, that's why guys like Kerfoot, Butcher, Stecher, Boeser, and Hutton all made the leap without much AHL time... If at all. (Jost is an exception because he jumped to the NHL after only a year and most NCAA make the jump after 2-4 years, big difference.) Only reason Gaudette ends up in the AHL is if he legitimately doesn't make the team but I'm hard pressed to believe he won't.

Gaudette should add energy to the Canucks in the last few games and that's exciting.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

He will want to play NHL games to burn a year off his contract (standard NCAA fare) and then he will be off for the summer. (He had to be papered at the deadline to get into games in the AHL playoffs by the NHL deadline). 

The only scenario he plays in the AHL this year is if he signs an AHL PTO deal and agrees to an NHL deal that kicks in this summer. However, that is unlikely.

As NCAA players go, I don't envision Gaudette spending much time in Utica. NCAA guys spend more time in the gym so they show up stronger then CHL prospects, that's why guys like Kerfoot, Butcher, Stecher, Boeser, and Hutton all made the leap without much AHL time... If at all. (Jost is an exception because he jumped to the NHL after only a year and most NCAA make the jump after 2-4 years, big difference.) Only reason Gaudette ends up in the AHL is if he legitimately doesn't make the team but I'm hard pressed to believe he won't.

Gaudette should add energy to the Canucks in the last few games and that's exciting.

Thanks, I just don't know as much about the NCAA system and how it all works.

• Cheers 1

One thing I’m not sure about: if Gaudette and NU were to win the national championship, I believe the NHL season would finish before there would be a chance to sign him. Which I think would mean he couldn’t sign a 2017-18 contact (as that season would be over). Almost a dream scenario for all parties involved. He wins everything in his junior year of college (Beanpot, Hockey East, National Chanpionship, scoring title, and Hobey Baker), signs with Vancouver for next season, doesn’t burn a year off his ELC, and can sign an ATO and play for Utica for their playoff run this year.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

One thing I’m not sure about: if Gaudette and NU were to win the national championship, I believe the NHL season would finish before there would be a chance to sign him. Which I think would mean he couldn’t sign a 2017-18 contact (as that season would be over). Almost a dream scenario for all parties involved. He wins everything in his junior year of college (Beanpot, Hockey East, National Chanpionship, scoring title, and Hobey Baker), signs with Vancouver for next season, doesn’t burn a year off his ELC, and can sign an ATO and play for Utica for their playoff run this year.

I hope he does, he sure looks like a lot of fun to watch...