The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Just curious. I hope he starts at C as well, it's best for him.

I’d imagine he’d have no problem at wing. He and Sikura both often played a kind of hybrid C/W role when working together at 5v5 and the PP. Defensively, I’d say Gaudette is more comfortable at C, but on the attack, he’s often kind of switching between forward roles whether he’s leading or supporting the breakout and whether he’s looking to distribute or to setup for a shooting opportunity.

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2018 at 12:48 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Ryan Biech with a detailed article this morning on expansion and protection required for Gaudette (and likely Dahlén as well):

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/03/27/gaudette-dahlen-and-the-expansion-draft/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Found it interesting he ended up using the same example (Kyle Baun) as I did yesterday in my post on the topic.

Not saying Biech borrowed from my post. He’s a pretty standup guy and I’m sure he just arrived at the Baun example organically by a similar search process as mine yesterday. Just funny that we ended up with such similar content.

And his article is way better written than my post.

Sid, I still find it difficult to believe that the Canucks would have to protect Gaudette in a 2020 expansion draft. I understand the examples Biech uses and his choice to use the 1 game as an example why Baun was available for the 2017 draft due to the fact he played 3 games with Chicago in the 2014/15 season when he was 20 or over (22).

In that same season of 2014/15 Darnell Nurse played in 4 Calder Cup playoff games with the Oklahoma City Barons as a 20 year old and did not require protection for the expansion draft. The CBA section quoted does not specify if a player had to be 20 at the start of the season so I am assuming that Nurse's situation would have been the same as Baun's. Nurse was likely playing on ATO contract at the time but the CBA reference specifically states "plays in one (1) or more professional games.......".

As a result, I am trying to understand why the two seem to be treated differently for the expansion draft protection lists. The differences I see are that Baun was undrafted and his first season of professional was at the NHL level (3 games). Nurse was not 20 at the beginning of the season where he played his 1st professional games (4) with Oklahoma and he was a drafted player.

There must be something I am missing here. Does my analyis make sense? Do you still believe Gaudette will require protection for the draft?

https://theahl.com/stats/player/5557

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=131921

https://www.nhl.com/news/protected-list-for-vegas-golden-knights-nhl-expansion-draft/c-289972722

Edited by Rick Blight

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m just looking forward to people meme-ing it up with quotes from Good Will Hunting, Boondock Saints, The Departed, and pretty much any movie where the Boston accent features prominently.

Gaudette makes a good play: ”My boy’s wicked smaht.”

Scores a couple assists: ”How do you like them apples.”

Gets into a scrum/fight: “Just because you play a tough guy doesn’t mean you are one, you lace curtain Irish ****!”

GREAT flick, Sid. If we win it all, everyone can reflect at Stanley Park with a ****ing Taster's Choice moment! :^)   -your move, sport, etc...(RIP, Robin)

30 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Sid, I still find it difficult to believe that the Canucks would have to protect Gaudette in a 2020 expansion draft. I understand the examples Biech uses and his choice to use the 1 game as an example why Baun was available for the 2017 draft due to the fact he played 3 games with Chicago in the 2014/15 season when he was 20 or over (22).

In that same season of 2014/15 Darnell Nurse played in 4 Calder Cup playoff games with the Oklahoma City Barons as a 20 year old and did not require protection for the expansion draft. The CBA section quoted does not specify if a player had to be 20 at the start of the season so I am assuming that Nurse's situation would have been the same as Baun's. Nurse was likely playing on ATO contract at the time but the CBA reference specifically states "plays in one (1) or more professional games.......".

As a result, I am trying to understand why the two seem to be treated differently for the expansion draft protection lists. The differences I see are that Baun was undrafted and his first season of profession was at the NHL level (3 games). Nurse was not 20 at the beginning of the season where he played his 1st professional games (4) with Oklahoma and he was a drafted player.

There must be something I am missing here. Does my analyis make sense? Do you still believe Gaudette will require protection for the draft?

https://theahl.com/stats/player/5557

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=131921

https://www.nhl.com/news/protected-list-for-vegas-golden-knights-nhl-expansion-draft/c-289972722

Nurse’s contract slid for 2014-15 so I’d imagine that any pro games he played during that season would not have been technically considered “pursuant to an SPC,” since the official clock effectively started on his contract in 2015-16.

Honestly, I don’t think the rules are ever going to make complete sense to me. It really seems like a hodgepodge taken from several sections of the CBA, some of which are contradictory. But the Baun example seems to be the closest we have to Gaudette, so for the time being, I’m leaning toward his being under that category.

EDIT: This is one of the many times I wish I had Gilman on my speed dial. He’d be able to clear everything up as he wrote the rules for expansion (IIRC). Wonder if he’s on Twitter?

EDIT2: I think when it comes to “professional years,” the intention of the expansion terms is to use years “burned” off an ELC as a rule of thumb. That’s why we’d see years where a contract slid (like Nurse’s) not count but years where a year gets burned (like Gaudette and Dahlén this season) counted a professional years. 

There are probably exceptions but I’d imagine in practice this is how it’s intended to work.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nurse’s contract slid for 2014-15 so I’d imagine that any pro games he played during that season would not have been technically considered “under an SPC,” since the official clock effectively started on his contract in 2015-16.

Honestly, I don’t think the rules are ever going to make complete sense to me. It really seems like a hodgepodge taken form several sections of the CBA, some of which are contradictory. But the Baun example seems to be the closest we have to Gaudette, so for the time being, I’m leaning toward his being under that category.

EDIT: This is one of the many times I wish I had Gilman on my speed dial. He’d be able to clear everything up as he wrote the rules for expansion (IIRC). Wonder if he’s on Twitter?

EDIT2: I think when it comes to “professional years,” the intention of the expansion terms is to use years “burned” off an ELC as a rule of thumb. That’s why we’d see years where a contract slid (like Nurse’s) not count but years where a year gets burned (like Gaudette and Dahlén this season) counted a professional years. 

There are probably exceptions but I’d imagine in practice this is how it’s intended to work.

I thought there was a minimum games played to be eligible for expansion draft?

55 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Blue steel! 

Also, a couple Twitter polls this week on who has the better “flow” between Boeser and Gaudette. My vote goes to Brock, but Adam is definitely a contender! :lol:

This means there will be more flow next season when they both are in the lineup.

I think that the management team should check with the CBA to make sure that Gaudette doesn't require the protection for a potential expansion draft and is exempted because CBA is confusing at times with what constitute a professional year in respect to expansion draft.  If he counts then he should not play a game for us until next season.   We'd want as many players we need rather than let go a potential good player that would set us back a couple of years.   

2 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I think that the management team should check with the CBA to make sure that Gaudette doesn't require the protection for a potential expansion draft and is exempted because CBA is confusing at times with what constitute a professional year in respect to expansion draft.  If he counts then he should not play a game for us until next season.   We'd want as many players we need rather than let go a potential good player that would set us back a couple of years.   

I believe he is not exempt from the Seattle expansion draft, same with Jonathan Dahlin. 

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/03/27/gaudette-dahlen-and-the-expansion-draft/

5 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I am sure management is perfectly aware of all possible outcomes, have faith. This is what they are paid to do.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

I believe he is not exempt from the Seattle expansion draft, same with Jonathan Dahlin. 

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/03/27/gaudette-dahlen-and-the-expansion-draft/

I know this article makes a good argument for Gaudette requiring protection for the draft (based on Baun) but to me the CBA is very clear in stating that it takes 10 NHL games to constitute a professional season for 18 and 19 year olds and 10 professional games for 20 and up for 1 professional season. This article from Sporsnet seems to support that position but I cannot understand why Baun was available (and I would never question SID)

Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-teams-receiving-information-potential-expansion-draft/

A Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games in a given season. A Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the calendar year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given season

Edited by Rick Blight
adding link
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I know this article makes a good argument for Gaudette requiring protection for the draft (based on Baun) but to me the CBA is very clear in stating that it takes 10 NHL games to constitute a professional season for 18 and 19 year olds and 10 professional games for 20 and up for 1 professional season. This article from Sporsnet seems to support that position but I cannot understand why Baun was available (and I would never question SID)

Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-teams-receiving-information-potential-expansion-draft/

Good so we just keep him to 9 games. (between here and Utica)

9 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Good so we just keep him to 9 games. (between here and Utica)

He can't play in Utica as he was not on their roster at the trade deadline. He could have played there on an ATO if he hadn't signed with the Canucks.

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/the-paper-feature-what-will-the-utica-comets-look-like-for-the-ahl-playoffs-1.23199057

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Upvote 1