The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

I realize this will not be received that well but here it goes.  I have been a little surprised that Adam has not been very physical and lacks the push back that many have talked about in reference to what people said about him prior to his signing his contract.  I thought he would be a little more noticeable.  Just wondering what some of you think?  I still think he is going to be a good player but thought I would see a little more from him. :)

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

I realize this will not be received that well but here it goes.  I have been a little surprised that Adam has not been very physical and lacks the push back that many have talked about in reference to what people said about him prior to his signing his contract.  I thought he would be a little more noticeable.  Just wondering what some of you think?  I still think he is going to be a good player but thought I would see a little more from him. :)

He shows some flashes, but at this rate, I think he'll be in Utica next year.

• Cheers 2

Yesterday was perfect for him to see and why he's here -- to experience what it's like when the pace really picks up.  He's still working his way in, and remember that he said he lost 10lbs during the season so he'll need to regain it over the summer.  He'll be ready for camp to challenge for a roster spot.

Yeah he looks like he's still 'feeling out' and adjusting. He'll also have a good idea where he needs to be next fall and I have little doubt he'll work his arse off this summer to get there.

It's possible he ends up in Utica but I'm still penciling him in on our 4th for next year.

• Upvote 1

Certainly feels good having Gaudette as the clear favourite to win the Hobey Baker. Just a few more days. B)B)

Second Thoughts: Please Give Adam Gaudette the Hobey, I'm Begging You

by Ryan Lambert

For the most part, the Hobey Hat Trick feels right.

Denver's Henrik Borgström was perhaps the most dynamic and captivating offensive player in the country, and played for an elite team. He delivered nearly every night, going pointless only 10 times in 40 games.

Harvard's Ryan Donato was arguably the biggest threat to change a game singlehandedly in the country this season, scoring 26 goals in just 29 games despite the fact that he missed four games. Exactly one-quarter of all Harvard's goals this season came off his stick.

Northeastern's Adam Gaudette was the national leader in goals and points, as well as points per game. He also powered a not-so-deep Northeastern team to an NCAA tournament berth and (if you're into this sort of thing) the team's first Beanpot since the end of the Reagan administration.

Simply put, Gaudette must win this year's Hobey Baker award for voters to have any remaining credibility. There was an argument to be made for Will Butcher last year as the best player at his position, playing on the best team in the country, even if he didn't score to the extent that you'd maybe want even a defenseman to score to get the award. He was also a senior and voters love that. I would have picked Zach Aston-Reese (also of Northeastern) but it was hard to really argue with Butcher's candidacy or win.

I think it's more than fair to quibble with Donato's candidacy — he played 29 NCAA games while many other qualified candidates played 38 to 40 — so this is the equivalent of putting an NHLer with 60 or 62 games played in your top three for the Hart. It wouldn't happen, and for good reason. 

There are plenty of people who say Donato should get credit for his phenomenal performance on a bad U.S. Olympic team (5-1-6 in five games), but this is ludicrous on its face since these were games played, y'know, not in college hockey; by this token, why not include his 3-2-5 for the Bruins so far this season? He's really great, but you can't compare NCAA apples to Olympic oranges.

But we're judging the top three candidates here, so let's compare what we can reasonably compare. (Note: the vote is already complete; the Hobey Hat Trick represents the top three vote getters. There is no further voting.) Here's the quick look at their per-game scoring, which really works in Donato's favor since he played nine and 11 fewer games than Gaudette and Borgström, respectively:

st-2018-03-1.jpg

You will note that even then, Gaudette and Donato are neck-and-neck for primary points (tied at 1.21 per game versus Borgström's 0.92) but Donato falls way behind in secondary assists. Donato was also just 95th in the nation in primary assists per game (0.31).

Moreover, this is and should be about accumulation, and the fact that Donato is not in the top 120 in the country in primary assists. At that point, the number of guys with 10 or nine primary assists is immaterial; this guy directly created 33 percent fewer goals on the season than someone named Mark Auk. I don't even know who that is!

Meanwhile, Gaudette was tied for 19th in primary assists and Borgström was tied for 34th.

(And by the way, even if we include Donato's production from the Olympics, his per-game numbers actually get worse, so his boosters might want to rethink that argument.)

If there were betting odds on this sort of thing, I would guess they'd have Donato and Gaudette as the favorites, perhaps not in that order. Borgström had a great season, but he's far enough behind in the competition that it's tough to see a real way forward for him to actually win. Nice to be nominated, I guess.

The historical context of this vote is also important, because even if we're granting Donato that his games-played shortage doesn't matter (and it does!) he still doesn't really stack up as a legit Hobey-winning forward in recent history either.

Here's all a graph of the 14 forwards placed in the Hobey Hat Trick over the past six seasons, with winners italicized and this year's candidates underlined: 

st-2018-03-2.jpg

As you can see, Donato is well above average in his ability to generate shots (a valuable and underrated skill that typically serves as a strong predictor of the most talented players in the country) but a little below average in this group as a points producer. Borgström, meanwhile, doesn't really stack up that well at all, except to say that he's significantly better at everything than Drew LeBlanc and Nic Dowd, both of whom were embarrassing candidates, [ :lol: ] even leaving aside LeBlanc inexplicably winning.

Gaudette, meanwhile, represents himself well enough, outscoring and outshooting the averages of the field. Right now this reads more like an anti-Donato case, but I think that's because Gaudette's argument speaks for itself. He was simply better than any other player in the country this year.

And that's before you take into account that his team wasn't that good when he was off the ice and the fact that he started more of his 5-on-5 shifts this season in his own zone than the other team's, playing that fabled 200-foot game that only matters when voters want to galaxy-brain their way to picking someone who was something other than the best player in the country.

Voters might have dinged him for playing with Dylan Sikura and Nolan Stevens, who were both phenomenal scorers each of the last two seasons (the former moreso than the latter). Maybe they dinged him because he didn't have a point and was a minus-3 in Northeastern's NCAA tournament game, but his team still went much farther than Donato's Crimson in both the conference and national scene, if we're making that a qualification for some reason.

Maybe the voters found a picture of Donato holding a puppy to push him over the top, because the on-ice results scream “Gaudette” all the way.

As with any other individual sports award, if people have to start building arguments why the best player shouldn't win, they're trying to sell you something. In this case it's the being a champion of Amateurism lives on with an Olympic roster featuring four non-pros. It's hard to wrap your head around that, but okay sure.

Donato winning wouldn't be the one of the two worst Hobey decisions in the past six years, but this should be Gaudette's award with little question.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2018/04/04_Second-Thoughts-Please-Give.php

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I don't think your comment is a problem.  Very few guys come in from a lower league and are instantly difficult to play against. Some do it in their first year but we are only talking three games so far for Gaudette. 

I did not think his skating looked so good in his first game but by his third game I thought it looked better.  Maybe he is slowly getting more comfortable or maybe my expectations will become reasonable.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

He's got pro wheels for sure and seemed more than fine with physical play.   Looks like he needs to bulk up a bit but he looks just fine and will be a strong threat to land a job in NHL if not next season at some point, certainly in the next few years.  For a fifth round pick, that is bloody marvelous for both the player and the team.

8 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Gaudette's only played a couple of games and he's noticing how much faster it is. He's playing well enough and has made a few nice plays, passes. Came close to scoring. But I do agree that it's going to take some time for him to get up to speed. Understandable. There were shifts where I never noticed him. But what I like a lot is he seems very dedicated and focused on getting better. He'll have a great off season of training with Bo and Brock and come to camp stronger. He appears to have a good attitude and wants to work hard to be better, like Bo. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He reminds me of Jake when he was not engaged but more watching. He looks like he'sfollowing instructions more than playing his game but I think he wil be a fast learner.

Yeah he's still in that awkward adjustment phase where he's thinking instead of just doing/reacting. He'll get there.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 7:48 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

He reminds me of Jake when he was not engaged but more watching. He looks like he'sfollowing instructions more than playing his game but I think he wil be a fast learner.

Agree.  It seems he can get to the rights spots, but maybe not at the right time.  Some more experience, some more strength with that speed and it looks like we've got ourselves a player.

• Haha 1

He looks like he's still learning what he can and can't do in the league. He threw a pretty decent hit last game which is a good sign he's getting more comfortable. 

It would be nice to see him put up a point or two in has last game, but his puck skills and smarts are evident. He's just a little unlucky right now. 

He does need to get stronger, so a good Summer should hopefully help him a lot. He might spend some time in Utica next year, but I'd imagine the majority will be with the Canucks

Getting more comfortable, and I'm loving what he is showing out there.  I can see the hunger to score...he's good at getting open but, unfortunately, a few times no one spotted him when he was cued up, ready to receive the puck.

Think he'll be just fine.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Getting more comfortable, and I'm loving what he is showing out there.  I can see the hunger to score...he's good at getting open but, unfortunately, a few times no one spotted him when he was cued up, ready to receive the puck.

Think he'll be just fine.

He has NHL wheels and sure seems combative enough.   He is trying to score like he did in college and he will realize he isn't going to get the time to get his shot off and/or the goalies are tad better at this level.   However, he looks like an NHL player and what a find for the organization given where he was drafted.

• Upvote 1

He looks excited, but maybe a bit too excited. Seems a bit scrambly for my liking, but he does have his moments where he's doing the right thing. Still a work in progress, but it's exciting.

Based on the last three games, I think he is going to be an NHL player for sure. Question is if it's going to happen starting next season.

I think so. With good summer of training he will make the team out of the camp especially with a spot at C open with Hank's retirement. 

He skates well. Tracks the puck well and backchecks hard. I heard so much about his shot but his passing and vision is very good too. 

I would say that with the recent comment from the management about Pettersson starting out as winger to begin his NHL career, the center depth will be Horvat-Sutter-Gaudette to start next season barring major trade or signing (Tavares-Horvat-Sutter-Gaudette?)

• Upvote 1