The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

I can see the logic in giving AG some rest after the Canucks miss the playoffs, but still feel he’s a borderline nhler offensively and I think he would have benefited from the experience of being the 1C in the AHL playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

My poorly made point :picard: was that Gaudette is obviously an NHL player, and he will be for us out of camp next season, just like Petey.  

I can see both sides but I agree with the reasoning that if Gaudette is here to stay for good, then don't worry about an AHL playoff run.

• Upvote 1

I think I prefer Gaudette as a fourth line center for the time being.  Lots of time to grow his game, but what appears to be already there is his energy and willingness to battle.  

However, other crucial areas like his faceoffs, defensive awareness, and offense needs some refining and I think it would be a tall order to expect him to be the third line center.  If anything that role is pretty crucial where you are expected to be sound defensively and to chip in goals.  In some ways I still think there are still some rawness in his game that needs some time to mature.  

Starting to wonder perhaps if the Canucks deal Beagle, keep Sutter, and allow Gaudette to marinate in the fourth line role. Once Gaudette is ready to be elevated, they re juggle Sutter down the depth chart while still carrying the heavy load defensively.

On 2/26/2019 at 5:12 PM, J-P said:

I can see the logic in giving AG some rest after the Canucks miss the playoffs, but still feel he’s a borderline nhler offensively and I think he would have benefited from the experience of being the 1C in the AHL playoffs. 

I agree that the AHL experience would be beneficial but I would respectfully disagree that he is borderline offensively. As a 22 yo player, he seems to be beginning to get his offensive game together...I think he will be just fine in this department.

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I agree that the AHL experience would be beneficial but I would respectfully disagree that he is borderline offensively. As a 22 yo player, he seems to be beginning to get his offensive game together...I think he will be just fine in this department.

IMO he’s ok as a 4th liner now offensively - and I guess his numbers is in that area as well - but his ceiling is higher, and I think the AHL playoffs would’ve increased his chance of reaching that ceiling. In the NHL so far I think he lacks confidence in the o-zone which limits him. 

But it’s a moot point now I guess, I agree he will have a solid career no matter what. 

14 hours ago, J-P said:

IMO he’s ok as a 4th liner now offensively - and I guess his numbers is in that area as well - but his ceiling is higher, and I think the AHL playoffs would’ve increased his chance of reaching that ceiling. In the NHL so far I think he lacks confidence in the o-zone which limits him. 

But it’s a moot point now I guess, I agree he will have a solid career no matter what. 

You mean moo point. Like a cows a opinion

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Part of me still kind of wonders if Gaudette is a centre or would be better off for a bit as a winger.  He seems to be very tenacious on the forecheck, prefers to take a shot over distributing the puck, and seems to thrive carrying the play off the boards rather than up the middle.  Not saying he isn't a centre, but I think he might one of the cases where he would benefit from playing a bit of wing for a bit too and learn slowly the centre game.

Steep learning curve for a 22 year old playing a crucial position.  As a 3rd line centre, have to be good offensively and defensively, but I think Adam is still a bit raw in his skill.  Could definitely see the possibility growing that the Canucks decide to hold onto Sutter and play Gaudette on his wing to start next fall, and let him grow into the role slowly.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:13 AM, filthycanuck said:

You mean moo point. Like a cows a opinion

On 3/19/2019 at 9:11 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

how did nobody catch this?

I lost my hat when this flew over my head

On 3/20/2019 at 1:24 AM, filthycanuck said:

Not many Friends fans Im guessing!

Probably an accurate assumption.

On topic of AG even though he's not on the scoring sheet I love his energy and hope Coach Green does as well.  Seems to be the antithesis of Goldobin.  I think him and Virtanen will be a great 3rd line option next year, hope they form some chemistry.  I am on the fire Benning bandwagon(nothing to do with patience!) but I got to give him and the scouting staff credit for uncovering this gem.  

• 2 weeks later...

I find it interesting that AG & JV are both 22 years old and  AG stats are about the same as JV when he was 18 years old.  I am concerned that AG is not producing enough offensively.  Is he strong enough to be a bottom 6 center?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I find it interesting that AG & JV are both 22 years old and  AG stats are about the same as JV when he was 18 years old.  I am concerned that AG is not producing enough offensively.  Is he strong enough to be a bottom 6 center?

I find it more curious how people seem to be willing to be far more patient with AG....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I am a AG fan but I agree with you.  AG gets pp2 time as well.

I'm a fan of both players. I think it's pretty silly how impartial some people can be because of little more than draft position/expectations.

Similar largely applies to Juolevi.

10 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Not that i condone it, but i believe it has more to do with pro experience than age.

Perhaps. I think it's mostly to do with draft position and expectations. That and this fan base (fueled by our largely garbage media) has a well earned reputation for being impatient, panicky, reactionary and needy (largely of validation).

Add to that, being relatively 'spoiled' by the likes of Pettersson, Horvat etc and their abnormally quick adaption to the NHL level (or Tkachuck's relaitve to Juolevi's) and it's easy to 'understand' why so many people fret over what is frankly, a FAR more historically 'normal', non-linear development path in JV, AG etc.

It's just tiresome :bored:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm a fan of both players. I think it's pretty silly how impartial some people can be because of little more than draft position/expectations.

Similar largely applies to Juolevi.

Perhaps. I think it's mostly to do with draft position and expectations. That and this fan base (fueled by our largely garbage media) has a well earned reputation for being impatient, panicky, reactionary and needy (largely of validation).

Add to that, being relatively 'spoiled' by the likes of Pettersson, Horvat etc and their abnormally quick adaption to the NHL level (or Tkachuck's relaitve to Juolevi's) and it's easy to 'understand' why so many people fret over what is frankly, a FAR more historically 'normal', non-linear development path in JV, AG etc.

It's just tiresome :bored:

Yeah draft position is big too. But thats not just us. Are you happy with schenn? Ask a leafs fan what they think of him. Same goes with Gudbranson. 

When you havent invested much into a player, expectations are much lower.

5th round picks rarely playe 1 game in the nhl so we're playing with house money already. At the time, Virtenen was our highest pick since the twins I believe so many fans thought he was a 1st line shoe in (which isnt the case).

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah draft position is big too. But thats not just us. Are you happy with schenn? Ask a leafs fan what they think of him. Same goes with Gudbranson. 

When you havent invested much into a player, expectations are much lower.

5th round picks rarely playe 1 game in the nhl so we're playing with house money already. At the time, Virtenen was our highest pick since the twins I believe so many fans thought he was a 1st line shoe in (which isnt the case).

Honestly? Schenn's being SOOOOO over hyped on here :lol:

Has he admirably filled in for the unfortunately ill-fitting Gudbranson, since his departure? Absolutely.

Is he any more than an 8th D - AHL depth? No. People are acting like he's the second coming of Mitchell or something.

But yes, it's a fair point. Funny about those expectations, draft positions etc...reality gives two farts about them :lol: 

Once drafted, picks simply become actual players/prospects and where they were picked has very little to do with their development.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I find it more curious how people seem to be willing to be far more patient with AG....

It's not that hard to figure out. Gaudette's a 5th round pick who hasn't even played a year, Virtanen's a 6th overall pick who is in his 4th season.