The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Lack of interest from the Canucks? Though one would have thought that moving to Abby would have availed the bullseye of attention.

This was from the Pelicans’ press release (Google translated):

“Jašek is a very good and explosive skater with the greatest strengths in the offensive game. He has a strong desire to develop as a player and this was also the biggest reason why he wanted to come specifically to Pelicans, even if there were takers in our eastern neighbor, among others”

Makes it sound like he felt a year in a prime role in Finland was a better development path, versus the opportunity he’d have staying in the AHL.

Suggests to me that he knew he wasn’t getting an NHL contract, or at least felt that he wouldn’t be getting a chance at an NHL call-up any time soon.

The Finnish Liiga is considered the second strongest European league (after the SHL), and probably around 4th best in the world, and I’d argue better than the AHL (although I know this is controversial to say). Liiga is also considered to be a bit tougher/more physical, than either the SHL or KHL (although not quite as skilled as those two leagues).

Good chance that Jašek will make more money and also face tougher competition/higher level of play, than if he’d stayed with Utica/Abbotsford.

Also, interesting to read that he apparently had some KHL interest, but turned that down, in favour of this opportunity in Finland with Pelicans.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

“Jašek is a very good and explosive skater with the greatest strengths in the offensive game. He has a strong desire to develop as a player and this was also the biggest reason why he wanted to come specifically to Pelicans, even if there were takers in our eastern neighbor, among others”

Makes it sound like he felt a year in a prime role in Finland was a better development path, versus the opportunity he’d have staying in the AHL.

Suggests to me that he knew he wasn’t getting an NHL contract, or at least felt that he wouldn’t be getting a chance at an NHL call-up any time soon.

The Finnish Liiga is considered the second strongest European league (after the SHL), and probably around 4th best in the world, and I’d argue better than the AHL (although I know this is controversial to say). Liiga is also considered to be a bit tougher/more physical, than either the SHL or KHL (although not quite as skilled as those two leagues).

Good chance that Jašek will make more money and also face tougher competition/higher level of play, than if he’d stayed with Utica/Abbotsford.

Also, interesting to read that he apparently had some KHL interest, but turned that down, in favour of this opportunity in Finland with Pelicans.

I hope he's back next summer once Beagle and Roussel etc expire. I think the kids has feisty, fast, hard minute bottom 6'er, with some play making, written all over him.

35 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s 170 pounds, and is not a guy who will play a scoring role in the National league.  He’s got to be a bottom six guy, who plays hard to play against.  He’s just too light for the role he needs to play here.  He’s absolutely better suited to the third or fourth best league, where he can play a more offensive role.  

If he was harder to play against we would have a player.  But his being so light, and easy to play against, combined with his skills just make him better suited to a lesser league.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s 170 pounds, and is not a guy who will play a scoring role in the National league.  He’s got to be a bottom six guy, who plays hard to play against.  He’s just too light for the role he needs to play here.  He’s absolutely better suited to the third or fourth best league, where he can play a more offensive role.  

If he was harder to play against we would have a player.  But his being so light, and easy to play against, combined with his skills just make him better suited to a lesser league.  

Comets site lists him at 6'-1" and 184 lbs last season FYI.

• Vintage 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Comets site lists him at 6'-1" and 184 lbs last season FYI.

I guess I was seeing his drafted weight.  He sure plays small.  My thinking is he was told he needs to play a heavier games, because he’s not skilled enough to be in a more skilled role.  So hearing that he went to a league where he can play how he prefers.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I guess I was seeing his drafted weight.  He sure plays small.  My thinking is he was told he needs to play a heavier games, because he’s not skilled enough to be in a more skilled role.  So hearing that he went to a league where he can play how he prefers.  

He's not a bruiser but I don't think I'd describe him as playing 'small'. He's very good defensively/on the PK, good on draws etc. He's more 'evasive'... Which isn't a bad thing IMO.

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

He's not a bruiser but I don't think I'd describe him as playing 'small'. He's very good defensively/on the PK, good on draws etc. He's more 'evasive'... Which isn't a bad thing IMO.

Maybe that’s not the role he wants though?  He might want to be put into more offensive opportunities.  I think he sees that’s not going to happen in the NHL, so he went where he could get that role.  The money is probably pretty similar to what he makes in the AHL too.  

Imo he’s not a loss, other than at the AHL level.  

He’s turning 24 and is going to play in Europe.  He’s not a prototypical bottom six player. We already have a few guys who want to play that type of role.  Highmore, Lockwood, MacEwen.

I think we need to find a strong 4C who can play a physical style and in your face type of hard nosed hockey. Yakov Trenin would be perfect. 

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s turning 24 and is going to play in Europe.  He’s not a prototypical bottom six player. We already have a few guys who want to play that type of role.  Highmore, Lockwood, MacEwen.

I think we need to find a strong 4C who can play a physical style and in your face type of hard nosed hockey. Yakov Trenin would be perfect. 

You know all that additional scoring from the bottom 6 everyone keeps whining about. IMO Jasek could do that. And contribute defensively and on the PK.

I agree we also need a big, bruising, hard minute guy but I'd happily have him in my bottom 6 at C or W in a two way, secondary PK role.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You know all that additional scoring from the bottom 6 everyone keeps whining about. IMO Jasek could do that. And contribute defensively and on the PK.

I agree we also need a big, bruising, hard minute guy but I'd happily have him in my bottom 6 at C or W in a two way, secondary PK role.

I think Benning is referring to the 3rd line for scoring help not the 4th line. Jasek wouldn’t be more than a 4th liner in the NHL. I’d rather have a Trenin as a 4C or someone similar. 

I forgot to add Lind and Gadjovich to the 4th line. One might get taken by Seattle so we’d have one left over to add to the 4th line. Lind could also play as a 4C If he’s not taken by Seattle. He’s a lot more physical than Jasek and a much better scorer. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Benning is referring to the 3rd line for scoring help not the 4th line. Jasek wouldn’t be more than a 4th liner in the NHL. I’d rather have a Trenin as a 4C or someone similar. 

I forgot to add Lind and Gadjovich to the 4th line. One might get taken by Seattle so we’d have one left over to add to the 4th line. Lind could also play as a 4C If he’s not taken by Seattle. He’s a lot more physical than Jasek and a much better scorer. 

Jasek is more of a two way play maker than a scorer. The types of guys we're talking about playing bottom 6 could probably use someone with that ability to set up that additional scoring.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Jasek is more of a two way play maker than a scorer. The types of guys we're talking about playing bottom 6 could probably use someone with that ability to set up that additional scoring.

I do like Jasek as a player but I think the Canucks are going in a different direction.  That's why he's headed to Europe.  We need more beef up front and on the back end.  Even Kole Lind might have problems making the team next year if he's still with us.  I don't see him as a fit on Benning's new and improved scoring 3rd line and we have lots of guys who can play on that 4th line.

I see Miller staying on the 649 line and I think Podkolzin will be a great fit with BO and Pearson.  So that leaves Benning to find some new linemates for Hoglander on a scoring 3rd line.  Virtanen could have been one of those guys if he had an IQ over 40, but unfortunately that ship has sailed.

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I do like Jasek as a player but I think the Canucks are going in a different direction.  That's why he's headed to Europe.  We need more beef up front and on the back end.  Even Kole Lind might have problems making the team next year if he's still with us.  I don't see him as a fit on Benning's new and improved scoring 3rd line and we have lots of guys who can play on that 4th line.

I see Miller staying on the 649 line and I think Podkolzin will be a great fit with BO and Pearson.  So that leaves Benning to find some new linemates for Hoglander on a scoring 3rd line.  Virtanen could have been one of those guys if he had an IQ over 40, but unfortunately that ship has sailed.

Heard on the radio that using a Miller as a centre is on the table for JB, and that it is usually easier to find a winger than a centre. That might be interesting in that we could fill out three decent lines with a little help:

(Ferland)       Pettersson. Boeser

Hoglander.   Horvat.        Pearson

Podkolzin     Miller.          (Vesey)

Motte.          Highmore.   (MacEwen/Hawryluk/Bailey/Lind)

Boyd.           Grayovac

Assuming we can free ourselves of Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson - big assumption, I know. Virtanen? Can Ferland play? If not, then acquire a decent left and/or right wings replacing Ferland, Virtanen and/or Vesey. Podkolzin mostly played RW in Russia, but most modern wingers can play either side. Can any of Gadjovich, MacEwen, Bailey, or Lind make the team, and a real dark horse is Lockwood - he was a real eye opener in Utica - the kid can downright play.

10 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Heard on the radio that using a Miller as a centre is on the table for JB, and that it is usually easier to find a winger than a centre. That might be interesting in that we could fill out three decent lines with a little help:

(Ferland)       Pettersson. Boeser

Hoglander.   Horvat.        Pearson

Podkolzin     Miller.          (Vesey)

Motte.          Highmore.   (MacEwen/Hawryluk/Bailey/Lind)

Boyd.           Grayovac

Assuming we can free ourselves of Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson - big assumption, I know. Virtanen? Can Ferland play? If not, then acquire a decent left and/or right wings replacing Ferland, Virtanen and/or Vesey. Podkolzin mostly played RW in Russia, but most modern wingers can play either side. Can any of Gadjovich, MacEwen, Bailey, or Lind make the team, and a real dark horse is Lockwood - he was a real eye opener in Utica - the kid can downright play.

It sounds like they like Miller as a centre but also like to keep him on the 649 line.  I guess it all depends if they can find a 3C to get a 3rd scoring line.

Ferland I believe is done as he's on the 18 man NHL list that was approved by the NHLPA for players who are deemed to have a career ending injury.  So I don't think he's coming back.

It's easier to acquire a winger than a 3C so they may play Miller at centre.  It also depends on who they draft.  If they draft McTavish then they probably get an older vet to play 3C for a year until McTavish is ready to make the jump.  If they draft a winger then they may look at playing Miller as their 3C and getting a veteran winger for a year or two until the winger is ready to play.  

I don't think Vesey is coming back.  I really like Lockwood.  I think he makes the club next year.  You can play him on the 4th line with Highmore and either Motte or Lind or go out and get a 4C.  All depends on the ED and who they lose.  Lots of options.  This summer should be exciting.  I think Benning is going to be aggressive along with the Twins helping him and he is going to make several moves.

I know alot of people around here think he is just going to re-sign Edler and Hamonic and try and patch up the 3rd line.  I don't think that's gonna happen.  I think Benning will make at least one bold move this summer.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It sounds like they like Miller as a centre but also like to keep him on the 649 line.  I guess it all depends if they can find a 3C to get a 3rd scoring line.

Ferland I believe is done as he's on the 18 man NHL list that was approved by the NHLPA for players who are deemed to have a career ending injury.  So I don't think he's coming back.

It's easier to acquire a winger than a 3C so they may play Miller at centre.  It also depends on who they draft.  If they draft McTavish then they probably get an older vet to play 3C for a year until McTavish is ready to make the jump.  If they draft a winger then they may look at playing Miller as their 3C and getting a veteran winger for a year or two until the winger is ready to play.  

I don't think Vesey is coming back.  I really like Lockwood.  I think he makes the club next year.  You can play him on the 4th line with Highmore and either Motte or Lind or go out and get a 4C.  All depends on the ED and who they lose.  Lots of options.  This summer should be exciting.  I think Benning is going to be aggressive along with the Twins helping him and he is going to make several moves.

I know alot of people around here think he is just going to re-sign Edler and Hamonic and try and patch up the 3rd line.  I don't think that's gonna happen.  I think Benning will make at least one bold move this summer.  

Of course TG likes Miller at centre, he likes his defensive game and he's old enough to call a vet. Green likes vets. It'll be a big loss to the offence and TG would go with defence over offence

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2021 at 6:02 PM, Elias Pettersson said:
This summer should be exciting.  I think Benning is going to be aggressive along with the Twins helping him and he is going to make several moves.

Prescient much!    Do you do lottery numbers?  :o

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DS4quality said:

They qualified jasek yet he signed overseas, I'm wondering if it was in case he thought he wasn't getting qualified, or if he wanted to be closer to home because of the pandemic 

I think it’s just a fairly standard move to qualify him in order to retain his rights. I’m not sure how long they’ll hold his rights for but I believe it’s a one year deal he signed overseas so if he wants to come back to North America next year it’ll be with the Canucks organization, unless they trade him. 

• Cheers 1