The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey Article

NHL'er

Maybe it will be his breakout year.... as a winger.

His awareness is the D zone was getting a lot better at the end of the year, I'll give him credit for that, but he fully and completely blows in the circle and just gets out muscled if he doesn't have a step.

I wish him luck though, we do need at least 4 centers after all. Maybe one of the kids will surprise. Castles, that McCann kid...

Edit- he's 24. I've only gotten weaker since I was 24, so...ya.

Maybe it will be his breakout year.... as a winger.

His awareness is the D zone was getting a lot better at the end of the year, I'll give him credit for that, but he fully and completely blows in the circle and just gets out muscled if he doesn't have a step.

I wish him luck though, we do need at least 4 centers after all. Maybe one of the kids will surprise. Castles, that McCann kid...

Edit- he's 24. I've only gotten weaker since I was 24, so...ya.

Really? I'm 39 now, and I could school the 24 y/o version of me if I could go back in time and meet him. I don't think that's the sort of thing that can be generalized. Also: he has access to trainers that most of us do not.

Really? I'm 39 now, and I could school the 24 y/o version of me if I could go back in time and meet him. I don't think that's the sort of thing that can be generalized. Also: he has access to trainers that most of us do not.

Old man strength is serious business. At least we've got something to look forward to.

I agree. lots of people hit peak physical strength later on in their 20's/30's (if you're working out properly), but obviously there are exceptions to the rule. He just has to keep working hard and I think he will get there. Real question is whether canuck fans can be patient with a guy like Vey who needs more time than guys like Horvat

Vey admitted he lost confidence, which is a huge factor in a player's performance.

He needs to use his strength to his advantage...which is his speed.

Getting stronger will also help.

But is that because you're a lot stronger now or that you just didn't train hard when you were 24? Also, strength may continue to grow but speed, agility etc tend to decline.

I'm 37 and would school my 24y/o self, but that's only because I'm smarter now. If he can't swim this year, he'll put up big numbers in the KHL or Swiss league.

Move him to wing

No choice but to be on his side now. That really weird glut of 2/3/4th line tweeners last year did some very strange things to my brain. I'm glad that we will actually be forced to infuse some youth like Virt next year.

Vey I'm not going to worry about until Oct.

We really have bigger fish to fry. Only 4 NHL D-men plus Weber.

^^ This

Although I do find it weird we took the trouble to get Brandon Prust, if only to play with Linden Vey on the 4th line?

Kinda repeating the Dalpe experiment...

This league is riddled with players who lit up lower levels of hockey. Playing against the best of the best every night would be a humbling and motivating experience I imagine. He is approaching the age where he needs to show he's capable of showing up every shift.

This league is riddled with players who lit up lower levels of hockey. Playing against the best of the best every night would be a humbling and motivating experience I imagine. He is approaching the age where he needs to show he's capable of showing up every shift.

I think he knows that. The 'rookie' excuse is now over with.

I like his attitude. Shows humility. Some players deny it's a tough transition, but are just kidding themselves.

Maybe putting him between Dorsett and Prust as a good idea, as they can act as enforcers giving him space. His lack of strength was mostly an issue at even strength. He'll improve at faceoffs.

That being said, it's a shame he'd be lost to waivers

Vey sure gets a lot of posts here. My guess is Willie is working CDC as well to pump up his Medicine hat connection, gotta love a coach who is loyal to his players.

Vey can be decent if he develops speed and strength in his legs. He just got pushed around too easy, and we are a team of players like this.

Well, that's where the scouting and rating comes in. Also when you put up the big numbers...

Vey had a huge year his final year in junior at 19 near 20, plying against guys 18, 17, some 16. The guys who can beat bigger stronger guys at 17 are the real prospects. Then its an issue of physical, and mental, makeup to go along with your game. Virtanen scores at an ordinary rate, but gets rated high because he is big, has out of this world athletic ability that you can project leaving even pro's behind and mismatched. And he had it at 16, now he has it playing in the AHL. Sam Bennett has that insane compete level, a mental thing, that seems him go places his size should not allow, then out battle guys routinely you would not think he would beat. There are reasons, beyond a big scoring year which sets guys up as standing out.

The PP goals show you what he can do with a little more time and space. And playing with skilled guys. Has very good hands, and confidence can be the difference between 10 goals and 15-20.

Unless he's going to be surrounded on a line with grade A talent, move him to the wing. He's more of a guy who should be coming in late and cleaning up on loose pucks or getting to quiet areas.

I don't know what it is about him, but I expect him to succeed at the NHL level. Would be surprised if there isn't some real improvement to his game this year.

Vey sure gets a lot of posts here. My guess is Willie is working CDC as well to pump up his Medicine hat connection, gotta love a coach who is loyal to his players.

Vey can be decent if he develops speed and strength in his legs. He just got pushed around too easy, and we are a team of players like this.

Canucks have Cassels looking for a spot this year and he is a center that is bigger, stronger and plays a 2 way game also Grenier who is supposed to be good on the draw and big. Gaunce was a center, now playing wing that is also looking to make the big club. I see no reason to give Vey a spot because he played for Willie in the "Hat" he should have to earn the spot not given it like last year. Canucks also have Vertanen ready to challenge for a spot and McCann could also but he and Vertanen can be sent back to junior.

Vey admitted he lost confidence, which is a huge factor in a player's performance.

He needs to use his strength to his advantage...which is his speed.

Getting stronger will also help.

Where does this idea come from? Speed is not Vey's advantage. He's an average skater, at best, which is a real problem when a player is small, and so not able to use strength to shield players from puck turnover. (It was no mystery why Vey's possession numbers were poor).

Strength, of course, will help Vey, but even if he puts on more muscle, the fact is that he's a small player who plays small. His real strength is his vision and playmaking, and perhaps his shot. But in order for those skills to come into play to any extent, he'll have to greatly improve his skating, including acceleration, otherwise he won't be able to create enough space to show those skills very much.

Putting on another 10 pounds would be huge for him to be a "listed" 6 feet and 190 something to help win battles instead of the 180 pounds he played at last year.

You cannot naturally put that much weight on while keeping up your cardio conditioning.

Archived