The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015-16 Utica Comets Thread

thejazz97

Guess who's back with the #Comets... Release: http://uticacomets.com/comets-sign-archibald-to-pto/ 

Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations Pat Conacher announced today that the Utica Comets have signed forward Darren Archibald to a Professional Tryout Contract (PTO). Dane Fox has also been reassigned by the Vancouver Canucks to the ECHL’s Kalamazoo Wings.

Archibald, 25, spent the previous two seasons with the Comets and collected 46 points (24-22-46) and 209 penalty minutes in 129 games. Last season the left winger recorded a career-high in games played (70), goals scored (14) and penalty minutes (107). During the Calder Cup Playoffs the Newmarket, ON native played in six games and scored a goal and two assists. His lone goal scored served as an overtime game-winning goal in Game 3 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals against the Chicago Wolves.

This season the 6’3”, 212-pound forward has scored twice in six games for the Kalamazoo Wings of the ECHL.

Fox, 22, appeared in one game for the Comets this season. In five games for the Kalamazoo Wings Fox has recorded an assist and eight penalty minutes.

In Fox’s rookie campaign last season, the forward finished second on the Kalamazoo Wings with 30 goals, and third on the team with 45 points. He also recorded 110 penalty minutes in 70 games played.

The Chatham, ON native was named the Ontario Hockey League’s Player of the Year following the 2013-14 season. He led the league in goals with 64 and finished second in points with 107. Fox played five seasons in the OHL and was signed by the Canucks as a free agent on Dec. 28, 2013.

A limited amount of tickets are still available for Wednesday night’s game against the Portland Pirates. Tickets can be purchased online (EmpireStateTix.com), at The AUD’s Box Office between 10a.m. and 4 p.m., or over the phone at 1-866-688-8750.

Really happy that Archie is back with the Comets although not Vancouver property anymore...I think he is just what they need and with Markstrom going down for rehab things look a little brighter...but I feel sorry for Fox...just cant catch a break..at this point Im second guessing his NHL potential...just doesnt seem there for him.

Really happy that Archie is back with the Comets although not Vancouver property anymore...I think he is just what they need and with Markstrom going down for rehab things look a little brighter...but I feel sorry for Fox...just cant catch a break..at this point Im second guessing his NHL potential...just doesnt seem there for him.

Technically not and he could sign with pretty much any NHL team if the opportunity presented itself.  But with Comets being owned by the Canucks, it is conceivable that if Archie received an NHL contract offer from another team, Archie would willing or may be obligated to give the Canucks the first right of refusal to sign him. 

Personally, I really like the fact that the Comets have signed players like Archie (PTO), Zalewski, Bancks, Hamilton, Valk to AHL contracts, as it keeps these players close by without burning up a spot on the 50 contract limit for the Canucks.  Gotta shake my head as to why they would waste even AHL contracts on Negrin and Earhardt though.

Technically not and he could sign with pretty much any NHL team if the opportunity presented itself.  But with Comets being owned by the Canucks, it is conceivable that if Archie received an NHL contract offer from another team, Archie would willing or may be obligated to give the Canucks the first right of refusal to sign him. 

Personally, I really like the fact that the Comets have signed players like Archie (PTO), Zalewski, Bancks, Hamilton, Valk to AHL contracts, as it keeps these players close by without burning up a spot on the 50 contract limit for the Canucks.  Gotta shake my head as to why they would waste even AHL contracts on Negrin and Earhardt though.

Ehrhardt's a solid 6th/7th d-man at the AHL level. I think he's being asked to do a little too much right now though with the lack of options Utica has for defensemen. But yeah, Negrin definitely shouldn't be in the AHL at all, its only his family connections that are even keeping him around. He has zero upside and its just counterintuitive to gift someone like that a spot on the team.

GOOOOAAALLL!!!! Darren Archibald with his first goal of the season to tie the game 1-1!!!

GOOOAAALLL!!!! #Comets take a 2-1 lead on Ashton Sautners first professional goal!!!!

great to see Ashton pot his first as a pro and Archie to get one...Arch should've been back with the Comets since the start of the season. But glad he is back in the fold, he has quite the presence on the team

Archived