The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many GMs does Linden get?

baumerman77

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is not a criticism of Linden. I think a lot of people are confused about the new role of the "president" of NHL hockey franchises. Some are speculated to be very involved in day-to-day hockey operations and even assume some of the conventional responsibilities of GMs (Burke in Calgary has often been brought up in this regard). Where others have a more independent role. No doubt it varies franchise to franchise, but I am interest in CDC take on Linden's role.

At first I thought he was just a token PR guy (which he probably largely is). But from interviews, behind the scenes information, and even the language he uses it makes Linden seem very tied to Benning and the hockey operations side of the business.

Thoughts?

I don't think Benning is going to be fired any time soon. Pretty much everyone expects the Canucks to struggle this year so no matter how badly the Canucks do he is probably safe. And of course many people want the Canucks to do poorly this year and trade players at the deadline so they can have a good draft in 2016. Possibly even the owner has bought into this. But I think the Canucks will be expected to show improvement the year after that (2016-17). So Benning gets at least two more years (2015-16 and 2016-17).

I think Linden is learning the ropes of how to manage and is not just a PR guy. And when he came in as President he was doing Aqullini a favor -- providing a PR boost -- and will a few years to learn the job on the fly, So even if things do not go well for Benning he will stay for at least one more GM.

But the chances are pretty good that Linden and Benning become a successful team.

He'll get as many GM's as he wants. Most likely he'll just resign as the Canucks President when he feels he's done enough with the job, and wants to retire. Or when a portion of the fans all march to Rogers Arena with torches and pitchforks demanding that he leaves.

Take your pick

He'll get as many GM's as he wants. Most likely he'll just resign as the Canucks President when he feels he's done enough with the job, and wants to retire. Or when a portion of the fans all march to Rogers Arena with torches and pitchforks demanding that he leaves.

Take your pick

excited to see what happens first

i think the owners didn't want to be perceived as interfering with the hockey operations..linden was hired to carry out the running of the team with the welfare of both the team and owners in mind..he claims he has complete autonomy with the team but, i'm sure he has some set guide lines from a business stand point...

I'm thinking more like

hqdefault.jpg

If you catch my drift

Perfect.

Although I am not quite sure what you are alluding to with the large fuzzy picture of Bert, I am definitely intrigued.

Possibly having this demented Bert befoul Gallagher in a dark alleyway?

Trevor LInden knows what he's doing. He use to be part of the NHLPA committee, has played in the league, for years, runs his own business, like an actual business. He is expierenced and in most cases the Presidents of other hockey clubs are usually are former players.

I think your right ive some times wonder what he has been doing but your right hes a successfull business man so hes got a plan :)

Archived