The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fan Support

ms stanley

I'm curious, did Linden and company decide on a flat out rebuild when it became apparent that the Canucks could not possibly compete in the west and with fan support shrinking? If support was poor even with them making the playoffs and in particular playing the Flames what will it look like now? Will ticket prices drop? Will you even want to go to a game even with reduced prices? For the first time I can remember there is no excitement for the upcoming season (s).

Even if the ticket prices drop, the seats won't be filled. For most fans thee is nothing to be excited about. I would still go to games even if this team falls to the level of Edmonton and Buffalo. The glory days are gone, but once a Canuck, always a Canuck. Going down with the ship.

I'm curious, did Linden and company decide on a flat out rebuild when it became apparent that the Canucks could not possibly compete in the west and with fan support shrinking? If support was poor even with them making the playoffs and in particular playing the Flames what will it look like now? Will ticket prices drop? Will you even want to go to a game even with reduced prices? For the first time I can remember there is no excitement for the upcoming season (s).

I think the OP is on to something. As of last year the plan was to get back to playoffs and recapture fan support to the pre-Tortorella level.

The Canucks had a better regular season than pretty much everyone expected, finishing second in the Division and 8th overall in the NHL. (How many people picked them to finish ahead of both LA and SJ!)

Despite that, ticket sales were not particularly good, and the first round loss to Calgary was a big negative. And in the Summer Summit the feeling was pretty negative. There are a lot of fans who are giving the message that just making the playoffs and then losing in the first round is not good enough.

And watching a declining team is very frustrating and not likely to generate much fan support.

It would not surprise me if the owner has come to the view that the best way to build fan support in the medium and long term is to have a couple of bad years, get high draft picks, and try to rebuild a Cup contender that can rekindle excitement in the fan base.

Average attendance last year - 18,710

Roger Arena Capacity - 18,884

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Fan support was poor?

If there are a certain amount of youngsters coming in to play, then that makes the season worth it to watch. I think we are under-estimating this club, they do seem to do well during the regular season, its the playoffs that is the kryptonite. That calgary series was probably the worst thing to happen, simply because everyone wanted that matchup thinking its winnable and we lost.

I for one will still watch the season as long as they play some kids, I think some of the other moves opposing teams made are overrated, just wait till the puck drops, we will still be competitive as long as we have the Sedins and a healthy Miller.

People whose support wains depending on the teams record aren't true fans imo.

But I can understand how/why ownership needs to take these people's money so the team can stay financially viable for the real fans;).

Do you live on planet Earth?

Seriously where do you dig up this kind of conjecture?

I think the OP is on to something. As of last year the plan was to get back to playoffs and recapture fan support to the pre-Tortorella level.

The Canucks had a better regular season than pretty much everyone expected, finishing second in the Division and 8th overall in the NHL. (How many people picked them to finish ahead of both LA and SJ!)

Despite that, ticket sales were not particularly good, and the first round loss to Calgary was a big negative. And in the Summer Summit the feeling was pretty negative. There are a lot of fans who are giving the message that just making the playoffs and then losing in the first round is not good enough.

And watching a declining team is very frustrating and not likely to generate much fan support.

It would not surprise me if the owner has come to the view that the best way to build fan support in the medium and long term is to have a couple of bad years, get high draft picks, and try to rebuild a Cup contender that can rekindle excitement in the fan base.

Leaving aside the contradictions where did you dig up this tripe? Can you substantiate any of it?

The only factual thing you have said was that we had a pretty decent season, some would say, given the injuries and all round changes, a spectacular season.

As for losing in the first round, yes it was disappointing but I can guarantee that you would have said the same no matter which round we had lost in, ( Calgary to-day is not Calgary of 3 seasons ago) just read what was said by many after we reached the final (with a better team)

I think what you're describing is not "fan" support. It's fair-weather fan support.

Clearly this is a troll post. That being said...

I'm so sick of people claiming that if we have a poor season or two fan support will shrink. Do they not pay attention to the rest of the NHL? Buffalo had 17,000 fans show up to a practice to watch Eichel play. Edmonton drew a crowd for a McDavid practice. Not all fans in Van are fairweather; there's enough to carry this team through a poor year or two.

I'm so sick of people claiming that if we have a poor season or two fan support will shrink. Do they not pay attention to the rest of the NHL? Buffalo had 17,000 fans show up to a practice to watch Eichel play. Edmonton drew a crowd for a McDavid practice. Not all fans in Van are fairweather; there's enough to carry this team through a poor year or two.

Its going to be 4-6 bad years just look at Buffalo and edmonton. Before they got Eichel and Mcdavid how big of a crowd was drawn in not that much. Its jut your supposed fairweather fans returning on hype once its clear that the team isn't still good they will leave.

We still have the sedins which mean that we will never be bad enough to get a top 3 pick hence never get a Eichel or McDavid wich will draw in those fans until the sedins retire.

The fan support shrinks because those fairweather fansupport isn't there which is a quite significant amount of fans that can't just be brushed over. Especially vancouver where over half the fansbase that pays for the overpriced tickets are those fairweather fans

Also allot of the supposed fairweather fans spend allot of money and more so than the non fairweather fans, only reason that the canucks can charge so much for ticket prices.

The team will survive theres no doubt but does aquinlini want to lose money over the next 4-6 years, something tells me no. I think they rather continue rebuilding on the fly while making money in the hopes of the off chance it works.

Well I'm glad that fan support doesn't follow the Leaf model. You could have small furry animals playing as long as they had a Leafs shirt on, they'd sell out. Vcr fans I hope vote with their feet, it's the only thing the accountant types understand and it certainly grabs Mr Aqualini's attention. Tickets are too expensive while the owners have no second thought to raising ticket prices for marginal success, they don't think of dropping prices when the entertaining value plummets. Ticket prices either stall or rise. Right noow they're in the stall mode, but just wait folks at the first hint of fun return to Rogers arena prices will rise

why can't people, just let benning and linden build a team to get back to cup contention...we don't have to agree with everything they do...it is their job to build a winner here...just because our opinions differ from theirs somewhat, doesn't make what they are doing wrong...just different...

some people would have them play the young players before they are ready...that is so selfish...ruin a players career for the sake of their own wishes...detroit didn't rush their super stars into the nhl...they care too much for the young players and the rest of the team...edmonton has rushed young players onto their team...hasn't proved very successful for them...

give JB and TL...a chance to build this team...i for one am getting behind them and this team.

I think what you're describing is not "fan" support. It's fair-weather fan support.

Exactly. The Op and anyone agreeing should just pack up your jerseys, foam fingers and flags and wait until we are amongst the favourites again. Buy yourself a Hawks jersey and claim to have liked them for years. Feel good about your choice.

As far as I'm concerned there is excitement every season. Are we cup favourites every year? No, Can we have a successful season and playoff. Maybe. This is why they play the games. The team needs change. It is happening as we speak. Could it be painful? Maybe. I'll keep cheering for them as I have for 45 years.

DIe-hard fans often complain about "fair-weather fans" but that does not change the fact that a winning team generates a lot more "buzz" and a lot more revenue than a losing team. And it is hard to complain about people who find watching a winning team more fun than watching a losing team and allocate their time and money accordingly.

Fan support has been studied a lot and the main conclusions are not exactly surprising. A very important factor is the size of the underlying market. Toronto has by far the largest underlying hockey market in the NHL, for example. It is the primary sport for a very large number of people. So Toronto will sell a lot of tickets no matter what.

Vancouver has a good base as the Canucks are the only big league team in any sport for a pretty big area (pretty much all of BC).

But, given the size of the base, more fans come out and they are willing to pay more for tickets, merchandise, etc. when the team is winning.

Archived